Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:39 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Oh boy, here we go again.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:49 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

"This is exactly why I hate living in the US. The level of ignorance and blind belief in their nation is simply mind boggling."

"And they invented democracy"

"The lack of history and georgrapy explains why so many Americans think they won both the world wars and the US is the only 'free country' "

So these quotes from another thread (not to mention the one that "bud" just posted here) shouldn't be considered insulting? Okay......
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
Hello all,

I am sure what you say is true, including the fact that emigrating is huge, and I completely understand that no matter where one is, there will be things that you dislike, and certainly everyone has the right to voice their opinion, especially on a forum like this.

That said, I find it somewhat .... I don't really know the word that fits here...maybe mean-spirited, when some folks here paint the country with a broad and sometimes wrongly colored brush, saying things like we are all too full of patriotism that we voice too loudly, or we are the "laughing stock of the world" in one regard or another, or we are all ignorant or whatever. I am an American and I love my country in many ways, and I am proud of all we do that's right.

Don't forget that any country is made up of individuals, including, in this case, me, my parents, grandparents, friends, ancestors. So, when an insult is hurled at "America", it's essentially being hurled at all of us.

I know anyone here would feel the same if the tables were turned. It kind of gets your back up.

Additionally, it kind of bugs me to hear people insult Americans when I know they are working for Americans, running businesses that Americans purchase from, and taking full advantage of things we have to offer, and then they turn around and insult us. That seems wrong to me.
So why are you planning leaving this wonderful country of yours????
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh boy, here we go again.
;-))))
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:03 am
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
;-))))
Obviously you don't really read my posts, take in what I say in its entirety, but it's want to try to say something you think is clever. So I won't be sucked in to responding to that stupid question.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Obviously you don't really read my posts, take in what I say in its entirety, but it's want to try to say something you think is clever. So I won't be sucked in to responding to that stupid question.
Pardon....grammar??
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

I am sure what you say is true, including the fact that emigrating is huge, and I completely understand that no matter where one is, there will be things that you dislike, and certainly everyone has the right to voice their opinion, especially on a forum like this.

That said, I find it somewhat .... I don't really know the word that fits here...maybe mean-spirited, when some folks here paint the country with a broad and sometimes wrongly colored brush, saying things like we are all too full of patriotism that we voice too loudly, or we are the "laughing stock of the world" in one regard or another, or we are all ignorant or whatever. I am an American and I love my country in many ways, and I am proud of all we do that's right.

Don't forget that any country is made up of individuals, including, in this case, me, my parents, grandparents, friends, ancestors. So, when an insult is hurled at "America", it's essentially being hurled at all of us.

I know anyone here would feel the same if the tables were turned. It kind of gets your back up.

Additionally, it kind of bugs me to hear people insult Americans when I know they are working for Americans, running businesses that Americans purchase from, and taking full advantage of things we have to offer, and then they turn around and insult us. That seems wrong to me.
I whole heartedly agree with that point, Id take it personal as I did with Meredith's comments the other day.

Id love it if the people of this world could just get along.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:06 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

To change the subject, if anyone is interested in photos of England (or at least my bit of it), I've posted some on Flickr. I'm afraid they're not organized into albums.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fingerrolls/show/

Last edited by sallysimmons; Sep 10th 2012 at 7:15 am.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

To change the subject, if anyone is interested in photos of England (or at least my bit of it), I've posted some on Flickr. I'm afraid they're not organized into albums.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fingerrolls/show/
Beautiful photos - this country may not be perfect but being lucky enough to experience places like those right on our doorstep makes it a lot easier to cope with the not so great aspects of British life IMO.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:17 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics Sally! Seeing the one of the Crime Writers Festival reminded that we bought a copy of Peter Robinson's latest book the other day. I'll have to wait until OH has finished it as he seems to have claimed it.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 10:18 am
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by lf1
Great pics Sally! Seeing the one of the Crime Writers Festival reminded that we bought a copy of Peter Robinson's latest book the other day. I'll have to wait until OH has finished it as he seems to have claimed it.
I just put that on my ipad and started it. The other day we were up in Wensleydale and had to pay a visit to Gayle near Hawes, which he has said is where Inspector Banks' cottage is. We saw the little river that the cottage is supposed to back on to.

Next we're off to Richmond, because when we saw him speak, he said Eastvale started out as an amalgam of Richmond and Ripon, but that as he now lives in Richmond, it's increasingly becoming 'Eastvale.'
Old Sep 10th 2012, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So Downton Abbey starts next week in the UK.

Last edited by cheers; Sep 10th 2012 at 3:03 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 2:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
So Dolton Abbey starts next week in the UK. (I know I have the spelling wrong)
shame on me!
Yes Downton Abbey starts next Sunday...16th. 8 episodes and I think there's another Christmas special.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:41 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I just put that on my ipad and started it. The other day we were up in Wensleydale and had to pay a visit to Gayle near Hawes, which he has said is where Inspector Banks' cottage is. We saw the little river that the cottage is supposed to back on to.

Next we're off to Richmond, because when we saw him speak, he said Eastvale started out as an amalgam of Richmond and Ripon, but that as he now lives in Richmond, it's increasingly becoming 'Eastvale.'
I am looking forward to visiting Inspector Banks' beat. I have done a tour of Rebus' patch and thoroughly enjoyed, including a drink in the Ox.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:45 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
So Downton Abbey starts next week in the UK.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes Downton Abbey starts next Sunday...16th. 8 episodes and I think there's another Christmas special.
Brilliant! I know what I am doing next Sunday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.