Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:12 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Bevm
There are roses bred in Ontario that survive very cold winters. I believe they're called the Explorer line and named after various explorers. Try them. I had one in Ottawa that did okay with a bit of winter protection.

Bev
Great suggestion. I have the both Explorer and Pavement Series in my garden in Calgary. They repeat bloom throughout the season and are very low maintenance.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
You are lucky to be able to water twice a day. If we water more than twice a week we get a fine of $2,000
Shhh no one knows, but no a chance in hell I'm letting all the trees die when we are wanting to sell this place, so everything is one drippers and a crop of trees down the lot is watered by the washing machine, so they get tons of water.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Despite having more water and lakes than anywhere else in the world we are restricted to twice a week! Between 7pm and 10pm!
Thats crazy, everything would die here on twice a week watering. Our friend got hers down to every other day but by the end of summer, her house was starting to look abandoned with the wilting and dried out vegetation.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thats crazy, everything would die here on twice a week watering. Our friend got hers down to every other day but by the end of summer, her house was starting to look abandoned with the wilting and dried out vegetation.
The three major water companies here has just canceled there hose pipe watering ban ----- after about three whole months of almost continuous rain,
but I dont think anyone will need to water there garden for a very long time to come as this relentless rain seems to have no end in site ----- according to the TV weather people
And for someone ---- me who has often said I love the rain, bring it on!!!!!
well I really didn't mean every freaking day
I would absolutely love to see the Sun for a whole hour just every so often ---- that would really be something Huh!!!
But all I can do to cheer myself up a little is to google St Lucia and I can look at the balmy beaches and lovely sun and just pretend for a while that Im living there like one of those filthy rich people happily sipping my tropical drink ------- you know with the little umbrellas sticking out
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:26 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Up here we keep having a few sunny days in between the rain. Yesterday and the day before were glorious. Last night after work we went up into the Yorkshire Dales for a drive around, a bit of a walk and a pub meal in Grassington. The sky was that lovely pale blue with little fluffy white clouds, and on the way back we got an amazing sunset.

I find those days are enough to keep me going through the gray (which is back again today by the way!). My strategy is that I take loads of photos while we're out - and we always go out when it's nice - and then on the bad days I paint what we saw. That way I don't mind the rain because I'm engrossed in what I'm doing
Old Jul 13th 2012, 12:55 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Up here we keep having a few sunny days in between the rain. Yesterday and the day before were glorious. Last night after work we went up into the Yorkshire Dales for a drive around, a bit of a walk and a pub meal in Grassington. The sky was that lovely pale blue with little fluffy white clouds, and on the way back we got an amazing sunset.

I find those days are enough to keep me going through the gray (which is back again today by the way!). My strategy is that I take loads of photos while we're out - and we always go out when it's nice - and then on the bad days I paint what we saw. That way I don't mind the rain because I'm engrossed in what I'm doing
What happened to Maggie Smith?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by lf1
What happened to Maggie Smith?
I used to imagine she actually looked like Maggie Smith and spoke like Professor McGonagall.
Rodney go somewhere and order yourself a drink in a cocoanut with a little umbrella in, I bet that would make you feel better.
My Ds has only had a couple of rain free days since he got to UK. Dh said sell his bed quick so he can't come back, it's trial by water instead of fire. Good job he's an excellent swimmer.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Just been on hols to the UK for 3 weeks, and it rained nearly everyday. But it didn't bother me.

I like weekends when it pours down, you know your not going out, stay in your jim jams and watch trash on TV:-)
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:12 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I used to imagine she actually looked like Maggie Smith and spoke like Professor McGonagall.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I used to look for posts by "Maggie" - Sherlock? Lets have it for the return of "Maggie"
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:02 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Alas "Maggie" is dead. Long live Sherlock!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Alas "Maggie" is dead. Long live Sherlock!
She'a also not in the next series of Downton Abbey but then again, neither is Sherlock
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:41 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
She'a also not in the next series of Downton Abbey but then again, neither is Sherlock
Say it isn't so
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:03 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Say it isn't so
Apparently she will not be in the next series, however Shirley MacLaine will be joining the cast.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Apparently she will not be in the next series, however Shirley MacLaine will be joining the cast.
I was under the impression that was just a rumour that had neither been confirmed or denied. In fact the following story appears to confirm she is in series 3:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...difficult.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.