British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

lf1 Jul 12th 2012 2:12 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 10168551)
There are roses bred in Ontario that survive very cold winters. I believe they're called the Explorer line and named after various explorers. Try them. I had one in Ottawa that did okay with a bit of winter protection.

Bev

Great suggestion. I have the both Explorer and Pavement Series in my garden in Calgary. They repeat bloom throughout the season and are very low maintenance.

Mummy in the foothills Jul 12th 2012 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10167988)
You are lucky to be able to water twice a day. If we water more than twice a week we get a fine of $2,000

Shhh no one knows, but no a chance in hell I'm letting all the trees die when we are wanting to sell this place, so everything is one drippers and a crop of trees down the lot is watered by the washing machine, so they get tons of water.:lol:

Mummy in the foothills Jul 12th 2012 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10168035)
Despite having more water and lakes than anywhere else in the world we are restricted to twice a week! Between 7pm and 10pm!

Thats crazy, everything would die here on twice a week watering. Our friend got hers down to every other day but by the end of summer, her house was starting to look abandoned with the wilting and dried out vegetation.

jasper123 Jul 12th 2012 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10168927)
Thats crazy, everything would die here on twice a week watering. Our friend got hers down to every other day but by the end of summer, her house was starting to look abandoned with the wilting and dried out vegetation.

The three major water companies here has just canceled there hose pipe watering ban ----- after about three whole months of almost continuous rain,
but I dont think anyone will need to water there garden for a very long time to come as this relentless rain seems to have no end in site ----- according to the TV weather people :eek:
And for someone ---- me who has often said I love the rain, bring it on!!!!!
well I really didn't mean every freaking day :eek: :thumbdown: :ohmy:
I would absolutely love to see the Sun for a whole hour just every so often ---- that would really be something Huh!!!
But all I can do to cheer myself up a little is to google St Lucia and I can look at the balmy beaches and lovely sun and just pretend for a while that Im living there like one of those filthy rich people happily sipping my tropical drink ------- you know with the little umbrellas sticking out ;) :thumbup:

sallysimmons Jul 13th 2012 6:26 am

Up here we keep having a few sunny days in between the rain. Yesterday and the day before were glorious. Last night after work we went up into the Yorkshire Dales for a drive around, a bit of a walk and a pub meal in Grassington. The sky was that lovely pale blue with little fluffy white clouds, and on the way back we got an amazing sunset.

I find those days are enough to keep me going through the gray (which is back again today by the way!). My strategy is that I take loads of photos while we're out - and we always go out when it's nice - and then on the bad days I paint what we saw. That way I don't mind the rain because I'm engrossed in what I'm doing :)

lf1 Jul 13th 2012 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10169770)
Up here we keep having a few sunny days in between the rain. Yesterday and the day before were glorious. Last night after work we went up into the Yorkshire Dales for a drive around, a bit of a walk and a pub meal in Grassington. The sky was that lovely pale blue with little fluffy white clouds, and on the way back we got an amazing sunset.

I find those days are enough to keep me going through the gray (which is back again today by the way!). My strategy is that I take loads of photos while we're out - and we always go out when it's nice - and then on the bad days I paint what we saw. That way I don't mind the rain because I'm engrossed in what I'm doing :)

What happened to Maggie Smith?:lol:

Mummy in the foothills Jul 13th 2012 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10170105)
What happened to Maggie Smith?:lol:

:lol: I used to imagine she actually looked like Maggie Smith and spoke like Professor McGonagall. :confused:
Rodney go somewhere and order yourself a drink in a cocoanut with a little umbrella in, I bet that would make you feel better.
My Ds has only had a couple of rain free days since he got to UK. Dh said sell his bed quick so he can't come back, it's trial by water instead of fire. Good job he's an excellent swimmer. :D

Homeiswheretheheartis Jul 13th 2012 3:11 pm

Just been on hols to the UK for 3 weeks, and it rained nearly everyday. But it didn't bother me.

I like weekends when it pours down, you know your not going out, stay in your jim jams and watch trash on TV:-)

Pombat Jul 13th 2012 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10170245)
:lol: I used to imagine she actually looked like Maggie Smith and spoke like Professor McGonagall.

:rofl:

feelbritish Jul 13th 2012 3:15 pm

I used to look for posts by "Maggie" - Sherlock? Lets have it for the return of "Maggie":rofl:

sallysimmons Jul 13th 2012 5:02 pm

Alas "Maggie" is dead. Long live Sherlock! :lol:

mikelincs Jul 13th 2012 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10170537)
Alas "Maggie" is dead. Long live Sherlock! :lol:

She'a also not in the next series of Downton Abbey but then again, neither is Sherlock

lf1 Jul 13th 2012 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10170545)
She'a also not in the next series of Downton Abbey but then again, neither is Sherlock

Say it isn't so:(

mikelincs Jul 13th 2012 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10170620)
Say it isn't so:(

Apparently she will not be in the next series, however Shirley MacLaine will be joining the cast.

Lorac05 Jul 13th 2012 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10170658)
Apparently she will not be in the next series, however Shirley MacLaine will be joining the cast.

I was under the impression that was just a rumour that had neither been confirmed or denied. In fact the following story appears to confirm she is in series 3:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...difficult.html