Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 24th 2012, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
But don't be deceived into thinking UK is any better than America when it comes to crime, just as there are nice people in every country too.

The theft of catalytic converters from cars is well documented in UK and in USA.
http://www.sbd.co.uk/uknews/post/Cat...y-Thieves.aspx
Just because it is reported in the UK newspapers doesn't mean it is merely a hyped-up scare story based on a couple of incidents.
I was just about to post this J.JsOH. Catalytic converters contain platinum and other precious metals. There's a very real run on the theft of these in at a minimum Canada, US and UK. Google for stats.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 5:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
But don't be deceived into thinking UK is any better than America when it comes to crime, just as there are nice people in every country too.
It's better for some things (murder for example) and worse for others. But I never complained about crime in America either. It's just not something I spend a lot of time worrying about.

Had a lovely day today out in the Dales, but we made a mistake when we decided to pop into Skipton for a bit of shopping. Turns out the Olympic flame was on its way and the place was heaving! We somehow managed to get out of there and home in time to see it on TV. People looked to be having a lot of fun though.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It's better for some things (murder for example) and worse for others. But I never complained about crime in America either. It's just not something I spend a lot of time worrying about.

Had a lovely day today out in the Dales, but we made a mistake when we decided to pop into Skipton for a bit of shopping. Turns out the Olympic flame was on its way and the place was heaving! We somehow managed to get out of there and home in time to see it on TV. People looked to be having a lot of fun though.
The torch is coming to my home town this Saturday - my niece and nephew want to go see it so I think I'll face the crowds and go with them!!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:54 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Have fun! We've actually bottled out in 3 towns now - it came right by here and we decided to avoid it. It also went within a mile of my home village and I changed my mind at the last minute and didn't drive over there, and then today we left before it arrived in Skipton. It's fun watching on the BBC though - they have a live video feed all day.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
The US has so much gun crime that mere shoplifting doesn't get reported unless a) it's a celebrity, or b) it escalates to violence.

Think about it, apparently here we're supposed to be shocked and horrified that a few sad people nick 3 quid teapots from charity shops.

Bev
The sensational does indeed overshadow the apparently trivial.... but those £3 teapots added up to £5,000,000 lost to charity last year, money that would otherwise have funded cancer research or worked against child abuse.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Well ..... it's so quiet on here I am guessing everyone is on holiday? Has anyone gone anywhere worth telling about, had any experiences they want to share? And for those in the US - what is the weather doing there now? I know there were terrible floods in northern MN, with houses washed away etc. My old patch of ground, and I have friends living through the daily nightmare of the flood cleanup.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:28 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Well ..... it's so quiet on here I am guessing everyone is on holiday? Has anyone gone anywhere worth telling about, had any experiences they want to share? And for those in the US - what is the weather doing there now? I know there were terrible floods in northern MN, with houses washed away etc. My old patch of ground, and I have friends living through the daily nightmare of the flood cleanup.
Hubby and I are leaving the US on July 4th, arriving July 5th for 2 weeks. Will be in London, Wiltshire, Dorset and Devon. We'll wave when we travel along the south coast. We are "praying" for lovely weather.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I have my own ideas as to why it is quiet on here.
I bet you are pinching yourself when you realize you are living in Dawlish now. So much better for you.
I was planning on driving 600 miles to Sacramento next week, to see my mother in law, but that got put on hold. My wife is 75 years old and it amazes me that she can still get to visit her mother who is 92 next week. May she continue to live a long healthy life.
We would like to visit Durango, Colorado during this summer and Yellowstone National Park is still on our list of places to go.
You mention the weather. I look at the 7 day forecast and everyday it is over 100 degrees. Thank goodness for airconditioning.
Did I cover everything you asked?
Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Jun 28th 2012 at 12:28 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

No holiday for us this summer, I spent all my money on a ticket to UK for our son.
I've been running about getting him ready to leave on July 4th. He has been squeezing a whole summer of fun into his last two weeks and spent yesterday at Calaveras Big trees state park walking among the giant trees. I went into the blighted city of Stockton (now filing bankruptcy according to the news) shopping the discount grocers so he all all his school friends can camp overnight at the lake tonight. Smores, water, chips and hot dog buns all ready to go, they have the hot dogs arranged.
Also had to get Dd signed up for swim lessons, they did it at 8am in a freezing pool and all the kids happily jumped in to show their skills I expect her on the swim team by the end of next week she's fearless and scares the heck out of me.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I have my own ideas as to why it is quiet on here.

Cheers
Well, do elucidate, my man.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 12:13 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
N I went into the blighted city of Stockton (now filing bankruptcy according to the news)
Wow, I just went and checked the news stories. I'm afraid there's a lot more of that to come, including the increased crime and reduced police force.

Bev
Old Jun 29th 2012, 2:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Wow, I just went and checked the news stories. I'm afraid there's a lot more of that to come, including the increased crime and reduced police force.

Bev
Oh yes, they filed yesterday. At the same time they had their 33rd murder so far this year (A teen found shot in the park) this is double the number from this time last year. The police force has been cut to bare bones for a few years now, I'm sure it'll get worse. We try not to go there if possible, we shop Lodi. Local we have nothing much but plenty of cattle ranches and feed stores.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Oh yes, they filed yesterday. At the same time they had their 33rd murder so far this year (A teen found shot in the park) this is double the number from this time last year. The police force has been cut to bare bones for a few years now, I'm sure it'll get worse. We try not to go there if possible, we shop Lodi. Local we have nothing much but plenty of cattle ranches and feed stores.
Any chance of seeing your small picture in larger form? I looks nice.

Cheers
Old Jun 30th 2012, 3:19 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by cheers
Any chance of seeing your small picture in larger form? I looks nice.

Cheers
It's snow on the houses in Wales.
It won't let me upload the original picture.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Jun 30th 2012 at 3:39 am.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don't try this at home..........

http://devour.com/video/treadmill-fails/

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.