Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:02 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

I agree Rosie. England is much less of an insular island now, and much more of a multicultural melting pot. I also agree with the Americanization, although I quite like that because it makes me feel less self-conscious when I talk. And thank God the Brits have finally discovered mixer taps

One thing that hasn't changed is the weather. Here in Yorkshire, our 3 days of glorious sunshine have given way to the usual grey skies and drizzle. We went shopping the other day and I had to smile at the clothes in the stores - all floaty and flowery with not a jumper in sight. It's as if the entire British fashion industry forgot where they live.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

And thank God the Brits have finally discovered mixer taps
.. agreed,

If only they could discover public water drinking fountains too please............
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Welcome to England, Sally! You are still in US mode of rush and hurry - it takes a while to allow yourself to slow down and enjoy the moment. May you have many more enjoyable moments in your 'new' county and country! I am just now slowing down - almost 2 years back. Devon tends to be slower than Somerset, so soon I will be at a dead halt!
You have a good point there Rosie,
coming off the speedway of the US, having been through the exertions of the move back and now not at work, my mind is still trying to go at high speed while all around me has slowed down.
We will be down in Devon in August for a few days and hopefully soaking in some slower pace.
It's all relative of course. I have a friend moved to Spain because of the fast pace of life in UK.

Last edited by J.JsOH; Jun 22nd 2012 at 10:07 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
.. agreed,

If only they could discover public water drinking fountains too please............
Now you really are opening a can of worms! There were public drinking fountains everywhere when I was a lad! - BUT - they were all closed down, when the youth of today started putting folks genitalia in their mouths, and people started to pick up those dreadful diseases. So- No Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Kraft bought Cadbury, now this...

I for one hope the Walgreens Boots deal falls through, Boots is as English as you can get, its from my part of the country, why would ownership by Walgreens make it any better, I doubt it would, Im tired of Brits selling out, Business in America is mostly based on greed and I've had really my fill of it, I just dont trust American Corporations.
I am not happy with Walgreens buying Boots either, and I also dont trust American Corporations, can you imagine the look on the Boots employees faces when they are told there present 5 or 6 weeks yearly paid holidays are going to be immediately reduced to one week per year, but for all those who have been with the company for 10 years or more will be getting two weeks per year of paid holidays ------ WHOOPI!!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
I am not happy with Walgreens buying Boots either, and I also dont trust American Corporations, can you imagine the look on the Boots employees faces when they are told there present 5 or 6 weeks yearly paid holidays are going to be immediately reduced to one week per year, but for all those who have been with the company for 10 years or more will be getting two weeks per year of paid holidays ------ WHOOPI!!!!
But that would be against UK working law which ensures a minimum 28 days holiday a year AFAIK.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Fish: I am with you here. I have found it somewhat disconcerting upon my return to find so much globalization in the UK. At least that is what I think it is. On one hand it has made for a more educated society, in the sense that people in the UK travel a lot more than they used to and are more tolerant of the differences in other cultures. But I do see a lot of American products in stores, and American words in common usage ('you guys', 24/7 just for example). It is no longer a little island but a multi-cultural country. It always was a Commonwealth mixture, but now it is also a European mixture, so quite a melting pot (to use another American term!). I am sure other BE members will have their own spin on what I have written, and I may have blamed globalization when it is something quite different - so if others want to jump in here, please do.
Rosie yes your right in what you say about the changes in the language used here now, but I dont think its globalization, it looks like to me just plain old Amercanlization,
On the telly and Radio and newspapers every day I hear yet another American expression, and used as natural as if they have always talked that way, the Brits have retained very little of there own expressions, there are a few good old British sayings though Ive noticed that have not yet been abandoned ----- like they still use the word Que instead of line, and they still spell words in the old english spelling ---- like Cheque instead of check, and Centre instead of Center, ----- but the two that I cant seem to get myself to say is Fillet pronouncing the T. and Herbs pronouncing the H. oh and the other one is what all Brits say after they Ate something ----- they say Ete instead of Ate, my Niece picked me up on that word when I was talking one day and chuckled too, she couldn't understand why Americans say Ate when they are talking about the past tense after eating, I just said look here why would you pronounce a word Ete when it is spelt Ate? she looked at me in a dumbfounded expression but said nothing
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Now you really are opening a can of worms! There were public drinking fountains everywhere when I was a lad! - BUT - they were all closed down, when the youth of today started putting folks genitalia in their mouths, and people started to pick up those dreadful diseases. So- No Thanks.
Ah, I see your point Don; in that case, forget the fountains. yechh
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
That is not going to happen as UK employment law states everyone gets a minimum of 20 days + 8 days of public/bank holidays. I hope they leave the business plan well alone and are just in it for the profits but I am concerned they will try to make some chngnes which could destroy the soul of the company.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Boy you people are on top of it today with all these postings. They must of put something in the water???
Where is Bea and why isn't she in amongst all this stuff???

Cheers
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I for one hope the Walgreens Boots deal falls through, Boots is as English as you can get, its from my part of the country, why would ownership by Walgreens make it any better, I doubt it would, Im tired of Brits selling out, Business in America is mostly based on greed and I've had really my fill of it, I just dont trust American Corporations.
I hate to rain on your parade but I read somewhere that Boots is owned by an Italian company???

This is as close as I can find on the Italian connection at the minute.

"While it is best known as a retailer, Boots has also been heavily involved in the research and manufacturing of drugs, including developing Ibruprofen.
The firm subsequently merged with the European drugs giant Alliance Unichem in 2005 and was bought out by Mr Pessina and private equity firm KKR in 2006."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1yWrp6nCP

Cheers
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are you a communist?
Why do I say that? Because you are talking about the Corporation of the Washington Government! i.e. The country is run by the corporations and the election thing is hold over and a tradition from the past. It makes the gullible public think they have a say in things. (I should take that back because I think they do know whats going on and I'm the one who is waking up! Look at what percent of the US population vote in an election. I think it is 45%)
Corporations have their employees working in Washington and they are called Congressmen.
As side note.
Do you know that legislation (laws) are written by the corporations and then passed by congress?
Off my soap box, as Don would say.
Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Jun 22nd 2012 at 1:56 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorac05
That is not going to happen as UK employment law states everyone gets a minimum of 20 days + 8 days of public/bank holidays. I hope they leave the business plan well alone and are just in it for the profits but I am concerned they will try to make some chngnes which could destroy the soul of the company.
I think you are all nieve! (boy am I bitter this morning)
If America wants the law regarding holidays or vacations reduced in the UK it will be done, you can mark my words on that!
Britain, IMO, is a pupit of the US and the US plays with it until they squish it.

I'm reading on another forum about Americans, living in the UK, who run into fellow Americans every day in England.

Can you believe that these Americans or some of them are tring to change British laws to allow more of them to move into the UK. Makes my blood boil it does

Cheers
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
But that would be against UK working law which ensures a minimum 28 days holiday a year AFAIK.
See my other comment. IMO that could be rescinded over night when the corporation have their MP's in Parliament as they do Congressmen in Washington.

Cheers
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Ah, I see your point Don; in that case, forget the fountains. yechh
Why would you put your mouth on the place the water comes out of? The stream of water is supposed to raise up into the air and you drink from that....

And it's not just young people expressing themselves in that manner, Don. It's any age....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.