Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 11th 2012, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by lf1
Yes, Rodney, I hope so too. I think it is great that you, beeduby? Sally Simmons, Aries, island woman, curly tops and others still post. I love to hear how people are settling in or not. sorry to those that I have forgotten to mention.

I plan to continue posting after I get back.
Yes IF1 it is so important for everyone coming home and also all who have been here for a while to continue posting, then you see all the folk who are in the planning stages or actual moving stages,
all the stories of the people who have already arrived home good and bad stories, are so important for everyone to read, and some of the experiences that people have when home even helps people like me who are already home for 18 months now,
And when we screw up on something whatever it helps others to not make the same mistakes.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

ehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cheers
So where is that?
Hello cheers - Kelowna is in the southern interior of British Columbia, Canada.
A beautiful valley with a very large lake. Unfortunately, the place has been 'discovered'
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ehl250
Hello cheers - Kelowna is in the southern interior of British Columbia, Canada.
A beautiful valley with a very large lake. Unfortunately, the place has been 'discovered'
ehl250 Out of curiosity what's the approx. population of Kelowna these days? I lived there back in 1969 and I think it was about 50,000 then but I hear it has since exploded.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:58 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am listening to Jeremy Vine at the moment. He is in Perthshire, Scotland, so the show is about all things Scottish. Playing the bagpipes etc. Glad I'll be home soon to enjoy the country again. Perthshire is beautiful. Last time I was there it was chilly, but with glorious sunshine, just perfect.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

ehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by curleytops
ehl250 Out of curiosity what's the approx. population of Kelowna these days? I lived there back in 1969 and I think it was about 50,000 then but I hear it has since exploded.
Yes, you heard right! According to the 2006 census it was 106,000 Kelowna + 28,ooo on the Westside. It would be more now though.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I feel as if I`m a "quarter back", since its just me at the moment. For anyone who missed the story, my sister died and I came back for her final days and the funeral etc, but its not worth, in money terms, me winging my way back and forth across the Atlantic, plus I HATE FLYING! My husband and son are coming over tomorrow, hubby keeps filling suitcases with stuff and bringing them over to relieve the load on the transatlantic move.
I still havent "tuned in" yet, possibly because I had it all figured in my head how things would be when we came back and its not like that. The Jubilee was a fabulous welcome home, though, and I`ll never forget it.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
I feel as if I`m a "quarter back", since its just me at the moment. For anyone who missed the story, my sister died and I came back for her final days and the funeral etc, but its not worth, in money terms, me winging my way back and forth across the Atlantic, plus I HATE FLYING! My husband and son are coming over tomorrow, hubby keeps filling suitcases with stuff and bringing them over to relieve the load on the transatlantic move.
I still havent "tuned in" yet, possibly because I had it all figured in my head how things would be when we came back and its not like that. The Jubilee was a fabulous welcome home, though, and I`ll never forget it.
I understand the "tuned in" thing you're talking about when things don't play out quite the way you'd envisioned Jemima. For me, it was a serious health scare with my husband right around the time I came back followed by him losing his job. Obviously that's not as serious as losing a loved one as you did and I imagine your emotions must be all over the map at the moment. Does it feel to you (as I felt) that actually being back doesn't seem real because circumstances are not as you thought they would be? Glad you were able to enjoy the Jubilee, seeing all of it made me so glad I am British and so glad this is my home with whatever imperfections there might be. I wish your husband and son a safe journey over - enjoy your family reunion!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Absolutely right Curleytops, it just doesnt feel real, as it didnt for you when you had a turbulent return to the UK. I do feel very mixed up too.
How`s things with you now? I almost need to know that people have coped with ghastly situations so I can cope too!

Last edited by jemima55; Jun 13th 2012 at 11:53 am.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jemima55
Absolutely right Curleytops, it just doesnt feel real, as it didnt for you when you had a turbulent return to the UK. I do feel very mixed up too.
How`s things with you now? I almost need to know that people have coped with ghastly situations so I can cope too!
We're getting there slowly thanks and you will too! Hubby's working away through the week on contract which is not ideal but you do what you have to right? I would have been quite happy to settle down here in Kent but we will very likely have to move at some point for permanent work. What's tough is not knowing where you're going to be in 3 or 6 months' time, we just want to settle! I quite like where we live but I found myself "detaching" from the place after my husband lost his job so that the there wouldn't be such a pull when we do have to leave. Despite this though I still feel at home here and don't miss Canada at all. Having your husband and son back with you is naturally going to make a world of difference - don't worry, you'll get there!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Bea,
I just saw your clip about ordering pizza in Scotland I think it was. It was so funny.
Cheers
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok, I`m warming up now. I`ve just had the funkiest colour and cut in five years. Everyone at the salon was friendly and chatty. I also went food shopping in Marks where it all looked so inviting, and, boy does the food taste good here! Yay for being back!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I was busy in the past few weeks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7630065754511/
Old Jun 14th 2012, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mmmmnnn, nice photos!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 7:19 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Beautiful! Can't wait to get home!!!! 57 days to go
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120

http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7630065754511/
Looks heavenly. I bet you love it there!

It is very quiet with no people around so is that because of the time of day?

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.