Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old May 23rd 2012, 12:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Thank you very much Sally.
Think that original post was by me.. not Sally, anyway hope it's a help.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Sally I hope you get to ride on those restored steam trains on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway

http://www.nymr.co.uk/
Thats awesome, Id love to go to Whitby on an old steam train... Thanks for that link, so interesting...
Old May 24th 2012, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Thats awesome, Id love to go to Whitby on an old steam train... Thanks for that link, so interesting...
Me too Fish,
and thanks cheers for that link, I think you know that steam trains have always been my passion, I will have to get myself up that way and experience the pleasure of stepping back in time. Great!!!!!!
Old May 24th 2012, 1:13 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Me too Fish,
and thanks cheers for that link, I think you know that steam trains have always been my passion, I will have to get myself up that way and experience the pleasure of stepping back in time. Great!!!!!!
Once you have done that trip, keep going north and take a trip on the Jacobite Express (Harry Potter Train). It goes from Fort William to Mallaig.
Take the train (not steam) from Glasgow to Fort William, which is another lovely route, and then meet the Jacobite Express in Fort William.

On our return journey from Fort William to Glasgow, the train slowed down and we we wondered why. We were sitting close to the rear of the train and could see the front part of the train as there was a curve in the track - the driver had slowed down and stopped to let some sheep cross the track in the middle of the Scottish Highlands. It is an image that will forever be embedded in my mind.
Old May 24th 2012, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Think that original post was by me.. not Sally, anyway hope it's a help.
Thank you very much :-)
Old May 25th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Once you have done that trip, keep going north and take a trip on the Jacobite Express (Harry Potter Train). It goes from Fort William to Mallaig.
Take the train (not steam) from Glasgow to Fort William, which is another lovely route, and then meet the Jacobite Express in Fort William.

On our return journey from Fort William to Glasgow, the train slowed down and we we wondered why. We were sitting close to the rear of the train and could see the front part of the train as there was a curve in the track - the driver had slowed down and stopped to let some sheep cross the track in the middle of the Scottish Highlands. It is an image that will forever be embedded in my mind.
Thanks If1 ---- I have made a note of that, and that will give me a chance to see a place that I have never been to, SCOTLAND, always wanted to but too busy being an expat all my life, but now its time to enjoy my retirement and finally slow down and smell the roses
Rodney.
Old May 25th 2012, 10:09 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney,

You'll love Scotland, it so beautiful, but I am a bit biased being that I am a Scot. Rodney, I know you listen to Jeremy Vine and I just found out today that he is releasing an autobiography next month. I think it might be a good read.

I was poking around on the internet and discovered that he is appearing at the Borders Book Festival in June and I won't be home in time to go to his session. Anyway, I think all the tickets are gone.

Today I have been going through all our paper records and filling boxes for shredding the local AMA (like AA and RAC) along with local police are having a big shredding day. You take your boxes along and they shred them for free using the big commercial type shredders. I took 6 boxes last month and will probably have another 3 or 4. I am trying to cut down on the amount of paper that we take back, so I am now scanning statements that I need to keep. What a boring task - hence the reason I am goofing off and posting on here LOL

Enjoy your weekend.
Old May 26th 2012, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

During a visit to my doctor, I asked him, "How do you
determine whether or not an older person should be put in a Care Home?"

"Well," he said, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a
teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the person to empty the bathtub."

"Oh, I understand," I said. "A normal person would use the
bucket because it is bigger than the spoon or the teacup."

"No" he said. "A normal person would pull the plug.
Do you want a bed near the window?"

Cheers
Old May 26th 2012, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

New photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7629905354270/
Old May 26th 2012, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been trying to reply to 2 private messages but the system is faulty. Please bear with me - I will try again tomorrow.
Old May 26th 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Old May 27th 2012, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
Rodney,

You'll love Scotland, it so beautiful, but I am a bit biased being that I am a Scot. Rodney, I know you listen to Jeremy Vine and I just found out today that he is releasing an autobiography next month. I think it might be a good read.

I was poking around on the internet and discovered that he is appearing at the Borders Book Festival in June and I won't be home in time to go to his session. Anyway, I think all the tickets are gone.

Today I have been going through all our paper records and filling boxes for shredding the local AMA (like AA and RAC) along with local police are having a big shredding day. You take your boxes along and they shred them for free using the big commercial type shredders. I took 6 boxes last month and will probably have another 3 or 4. I am trying to cut down on the amount of paper that we take back, so I am now scanning statements that I need to keep. What a boring task - hence the reason I am goofing off and posting on here LOL

Enjoy your weekend.
Hi IF1,
Yes its so exhausting sorting everything, I just took it slowly over about 10months, every night when I got home from work I would do a couple of hours of sorting things like clothes, ended up with 10 big black garbage bags full of clothes to donate to the charity shop, I sold my furniture locally, gave my 50 inch TV to my best friend Art, a New Yorker but living in Vegas for 25 years, also he got my newish floor speakers and receiver, and my dvd player
But when I got to the sorting through the paper work, OMG what a Job that is and so time consuming ----- and as you say yes very boring,
that took ages, I had shoe boxes and even drawers full up with years and years of paper stuff, why dont we just shred it every few months? but we dont do we, we keep all the receipts of everything we bought, I had receipts going back over 30 years, we keep statements for years, and all the other crap we just dont throw away? but we have to go through every bit of paper so carefully cause we dont want to throw away anything important do we that we need to keep,
My garage was half full of boxes that were just sitting there for years and years, and you have to go through everything carefully, but I got through sorting the garage in one compleat dusk to dawn very hot Summers day of 115f.
Anyway in general the task we have to do to get ready to make our final trip back to the green green grass of home is so exhausting, so much to do, but I was lucky my plane ticket was booked 10 months before I came home so I had plenty of time to do everything ----- having said that though the time just flies by like an out of control freight train, and suddenly you only have a few weeks before departure and touch down,
But Hmmmmm when you actually touch down the U.K. then you get this lovely feeling of OH YES IT WAS WELL WORTH ALL THE WORK to get home, especially if you have a T-Mobil type of welcome at the airport with everyone coming up to you and singing to you and dancing

IF1 whats your first name? most of us that have known each other for a while on here know each others first name,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old May 27th 2012, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheers
I like it I like it
Old May 28th 2012, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

This is Memorial Day weekend in the US.
On television they have various memorial music programs to remember those who served in the wars.
My thoughts are that we should go back to the old days when the troops were led by the leaders, be they knights or kings. Now why don't we pass laws that the present day troops are led into battle by the politicians?
What happened did we loose interest in war?
My second suggestion is the soldiers have a million dollar life insurance policy paid for by the government.
What happened did we loose interest in war?
Unfortunately we glorify war because there is a lot of easy money to be made in wars.
I think Rosie's son is or was a doctor in the US forces and he has suffered mentally from his experiences in the wars in the middle east. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I read in today's papers that most of the returning veterans are asking to be compensated for their problems, both mental and physical.
Maybe we can put a money price on war and people will lose interest in getting involved.

Cheers

*A lot of people are mixing up lose and loose. In particular, a lot of people are writing loose when they really mean lose. Here are the definitions of the two words ...
Old May 28th 2012, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

[quote=cheers;10085625]
I think Rosie's son is or was a doctor in the US forces and he has suffered mentally from his experiences in the wars in the middle east. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Cheers

Corrected version: I have two military sons, one on each side of the pond. The one referred to above is the UK one, and his experiences as a war doctor were not good. He says a doctor is trained to care for people, not to see enemies.

The US one is in Afghanistan, and I am sometimes scared out of my wits with this all. Especially as there is NOTHING I can do to stop it all. Moral according to Rosie: don't have kids, so there can be no military...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.