Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jan 21st 2011, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Variety is the spice of life. I'm a huge fan of modern British comedy but can't stand those sitcoms like Vicar of Dibley. My husband calls them 'where are my trousers vicar?' shows

My favorite UK comedian at the moment is David Mitchell. Here he is telling Americans how to speak. Too funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Peter Kay, Rob Brydon, Steve Coogan, Jimmy Carr, Johnny Vegas, Ricky Gervais ... there are so many great English comedians I've discovered watching UK TV shows. I do still like the old school first wave alternative comedians - Jo Brand, Dawn French etc but the new guys are great too.
I agree, comedy is a personal thing, my husband loved Peter Sellers, and Tommy Cooper, I never did, never got it, Les Dawson now was another of my favourites, don't know who David Mitchell is, is he English? Love Peter Kay,& jo Brand too.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 5:34 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by dgjamison
I agree, comedy is a personal thing, my husband loved Peter Sellers, and Tommy Cooper, I never did, never got it, Les Dawson now was another of my favourites, don't know who David Mitchell is, is he English? Love Peter Kay,& jo Brand too.

Yes, he's very middle class English. The youtube link is a video of him.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

You misunderstood. The thread is about an incident where a bunch of Australians were rude to an American, supposedly just because he's American. aviva asked if that's a common occurrence in the UK. I said no.

Hope that helps.
My apologies. I understood you were referring to the incident rather than the thread but I didn't explain my point very well. I should have.

My point was that given some of the unfair vitriol hurled at the OP by the British posters it is an incident that obviously could happen in the UK as well. Isolated as it may be in both countries. Point taken that it is not common.

Despite agreeing with the points some people were making about some americans trying to fit their flavour of PC to other countries regardless of relevance, I thought a lot of the posts were way over the top and rude.

The incident sounded like a one off and very strange that someone in a upmarket restaurant in the middle of a huge multicultural city would suddenly launch into an verbal attack like that.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:03 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01

The incident sounded like a one off and very strange that someone in a upmarket restaurant in the middle of a huge multicultural city would suddenly launch into an verbal attack like that.
Yeah, I didn't really believe it - or at least I wondered if the OP's behavior might have been partly to blame, but never having been to Australia, I couldn't really speak for what's normal there.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:00 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I didn't really believe it - or at least I wondered if the OP's behavior might have been partly to blame, but never having been to Australia, I couldn't really speak for what's normal there.
It is NOT normal behaviour here Sally. I have lived here for 30 years and been into restaurants in Sydney and other place many times.

I have never seen this kind of behaviour and to be honest I thought the OP was a troll, or one of those "bored on Saturday night, had a few beers, let's get a bit of action going" types.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Variety is the spice of life. I'm a huge fan of modern British comedy but can't stand those sitcoms like Vicar of Dibley. My husband calls them 'where are my trousers vicar?' shows

My favorite UK comedian at the moment is David Mitchell. Here he is telling Americans how to speak. Too funny!

Peter Kay, Rob Brydon, Steve Coogan, Jimmy Carr, Johnny Vegas, Ricky Gervais ... there are so many great English comedians I've discovered watching UK TV shows. I do still like the old school first wave alternative comedians - Jo Brand, Dawn French etc but the new guys are great too.
I Love all the Comedians you mentioned above especially the Vicar of Dibley and such shows. JMO...

Ricky Gervais this week was fantastic, at the awards and on the Piers Morgan show, he's the real deal, He has a new show on the Science channel today with Merchant and Pilkington, it should be funny, we will see... also one on HBO...

I think Comedians are some of the smartest people around, They see both sides of an argument and are such logical thinkers.

David Mitchell... Ohhh I Love "Peep Show" its on BBC America sometimes ... Hilarious.

Garlic Bread! anyone?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 9:09 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know all of these yet but I am sure I will learn. I like John Bishop, he was born in Liverpool but brought up in Runcorn, he has a fairly strong Scouse accent as do many whose families went to live there in the 1970's and 80's, in fact half of the young ones sound more scouse than the real scousers, plazzies (plastic scousers) we call them!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 12:56 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Ricky Gervais this week was fantastic, at the awards and on the Piers Morgan show, he's the real deal, He has a new show on the Science channel today with Merchant and Pilkington, it should be funny, we will see... also one on HBO...
Fish, you are going to love it sooooo much. Set the tivo, cancel all your plans - that show is "pee your pants" funny. It's called 'An Idiot Abroad."

I missed Ricky on Piers Morgan - I hope it's online.

Garlic Bread! anyone?
Garlic??? On bread???

This is my favorite Peter Kay sketch - about dunking biscuits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJr9ekTf0xc

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 22nd 2011 at 1:00 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Fish, you are going to love it sooooo much. Set the tivo, cancel all your plans - that show is "pee your pants" funny. It's called 'An Idiot Abroad."

I missed Ricky on Piers Morgan - I hope it's online.

Garlic??? On bread???

This is my favorite Peter Kay sketch - about dunking biscuits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJr9ekTf0xc
I was looking for the Ricky interview yesterday, but couldn't find it. Let me know if you do.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:27 pm
Finally Home!

Just found it on Youtube - it was great!

Thanks for the reminder, Fish

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flBFagW5vC8
Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ggaFU5z8w
Part Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuxF3UwZrXY
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Just found it on Youtube - it was great!

Thanks for the reminder, Fish

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flBFagW5vC8
Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ggaFU5z8w
Part Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuxF3UwZrXY
Thanks for that. Watched it. Terrific!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh - it's quiet over here! Is nothing happening any more, has everyone gone someplace else? Am I all alone? Weep, weep... This thread has changed so much, it has lost it's momentum. Will someone please post something controversial to get us talking again?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Gosh - it's quiet over here! Is nothing happening any more, has everyone gone someplace else? Am I all alone? Weep, weep... This thread has changed so much, it has lost it's momentum. Will someone please post something controversial to get us talking again?
Maybe it's the time difference.
I still have to do some housework and have only just got showered and dressed late really (10am) but it's saturday. I was supposed to go and exercise but the class already started so I'll wait till tuesday now.
OK off to unload the dishwasher and sort fold and iron laundry
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:03 pm
Finally Home!

I'm working today. If I want to get back to the UK with some savings, working weekends is the price I have to pay.

I also think the conversation is taking place on the forbidden health care thread today. We've kind of splintered off and lost our way.

I can't handle the 50s and 60s thread anymore - too much chiding - but I like to share things with people who feel the same way about England, so I'd be really happy if we just settled in one place.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

What area in UK do you think has the mildest weather? Scotland might be too harsh for me, so just the most southerly the better? Southeast or southwest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.