British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

dgjamison Dec 24th 2010 12:44 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9059114)
Denise 2, I have only done this once, with doble the qty- but 2nd Wife, did it every year,You need:-Cup Chestnuts, 1/2 Cup Margarine, 1/4 Decent sized Onion,Small Yesterdays loaf(Leftout to dry)one egg, 1/4 Cup milk,(Salt and pepper when mixed, to your taste)., (me,I Boil The onion first) then chop up small. Score the Chesnuts, and set to boil for a little over 1/2 hr, till tender, Peel,then chop up small....Melt Margarine in the saucepan.add all dry ingredients, Beat the egg, and stir well into the milk, and add this then to the mixture, Dont forget salt and pepper to taste. Bake in the oven, (Here, bottle gas so 180), for 3/4 hour. Mothers book, says 350, gas mark 7. Superb. - Always taste before you cook, otherwise, maybe too much salt - which Thais Hate! Yes we are 7 hrs ahead of UK. Love, and Merry Christmas, Let me know, how you find it. What about Cake recipe, ? I have very very easy one. Don.

Thank you Don, we will try that and will let you know how we get on as well, Yes I would love your cake receipe, and if anyone has a good xmas pudding one, I would love that as well, too late for this year but I really want to try to make my own next year. My mum always did her own as most of her generation did, along with xmas cake and mince pies, I loved the smell in the house, so I want to try next year (god willing) to recreate an old fashioned xmas, along with the old stocking with apple, orange and a bag of chocolate money just to see their reaction:rofl: The same to you Don, your a really helpfull person, I hope all goes well with your move for you both, and a very happy Christmas and new year love Denise:wub::)

dgjamison Dec 24th 2010 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9059141)
We had Christmas dinner last night since none of us will be here on Christmas Day. Golden Norfolk roast turkey, gammon, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, parsnips, fresh runner beans, Yorkshire Pudding, sage and onion dressing, cranberry sauce, and gravy - all washed down with a bottle of Asti Spumante. Mum really outdid herself for us. It was delicious!!!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3585896_n.jpg

looks great, I am really looking forward to mine tomorrow, but this evening my grandkids are coming round and we will have little tidbits, and spoil them for one night only while we watch a movie together, before they go home to their baths and bed:fingerscrossed: before santa comes, I think mum is really enjoying you home this year, and I wish you every success in the Future, wish I could do the fancy happy xmas's but am not great on the computer, but wishing you a happy xmas and new year Denise:wub:

Wawa Dec 24th 2010 1:18 pm

To Everyone.....Have a merry, merry Xmas (there's a song in there somewhere) and a safe and happy 2011, where our dreams and hopes turn to reality and new friendships made here grow yet stronger. Thinking of you all, especially those alone :wub: :drinkwine:

windsong Dec 24th 2010 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by HighTide (Post 9054671)
I like that or even the "Welcome Home" which were part of the lyrics in the T-Mobile ad they made at Heathrow.

Welcome Home is a very nice name. Much more positive.

sallysimmons Dec 24th 2010 2:56 pm

That Yorkshire pudding looks amazing!

DDL Dec 24th 2010 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9059351)
That Yorkshire pudding looks amazing!

They're ready-made/frozen. Aunt Bessie's brand. Mum says she'll never make another homemade pud; these are lovely - and perfect every time. :)

HighTide Dec 24th 2010 4:26 pm

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year and may everyone be where they long to be soon.
It is now early Christmas Eve in Teignmouth and it has been a beautiful sunny day here. There were about 10 youngsters surfing here today (with wetsuits of course).
The town was very festive with Christmas carols playing everywhere and the town filled with last minute shoppers.
We may have found a property to buy and will see it again on Jan 29th. It's not a B & B but has a great holiday let and the potential for an extension.

cheers Dec 24th 2010 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by HighTide (Post 9059442)
Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year and may everyone be where they long to be soon.
It is now early Christmas Eve in Teignmouth and it has been a beautiful sunny day here. There were about 10 youngsters surfing here today (with wetsuits of course).
The town was very festive with Christmas carols playing everywhere and the town filled with last minute shoppers.
We may have found a property to buy and will see it again on Jan 29th. It's not a B & B but has a great holiday let and the potential for an extension.

Tell us more!

Maybe you don't want to tell us where it is on the Rightmove because it could be a wrongmove if someone from here moves on it:D I don't think they would though.

Glad you found something you like.

Cheers

sallysimmons Dec 24th 2010 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by HighTide (Post 9059442)

Oh how exciting!! Can't wait to hear more about it.

windsong Dec 24th 2010 4:51 pm

Seasons greetings to everyone wherever you are :D

charleygirl Dec 24th 2010 5:51 pm

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE AND A WONDERFUL 2011

Hightide, sounds great and cant wait to hear more, DDL my SIL says same about Yorkies, never going to make another one after Aunt Bessies.....
Denise2, enjoy the time with the family, my husband paid 10 bucks for chestnuts yesterday:eek:

cheers Dec 24th 2010 5:57 pm

I just paid $18.63 incl. tax (£11.29) for two dungenous crab

Mummy in the foothills Dec 24th 2010 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9059517)
I just paid $18.63 incl. tax (£11.29) for two dungenous crap

Then you were ripped off, I'd have wanted Crab. :lol:

ldyinlv Dec 24th 2010 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9059523)

lol..mummy...me too..no crap for me...;)

DDL Dec 24th 2010 6:04 pm

Merry Christmas everyone!

sallysimmons Dec 24th 2010 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9059523)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I just finished cleaning out our cats' litter box and was thinking 'heck, I could have given you lots for free'

windsong Dec 24th 2010 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9059606)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I just finished cleaning out our cats' litter box and was thinking 'heck, I could have given you lots for free'

Ha ha ha!!!

sallysimmons Dec 24th 2010 10:19 pm

I have been craving Christmas cake with crumbly white cheese all day because of these conversations about traditional British Christmases. There was no fruit cake in the local grocery store, so I came home and made this cake.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/n...ipe/index.html

I just tried a piece with Wensleydale cheese and I pronounce it a very good substitute! Oh dear. My husband doesn't eat cake and it's just the two of us this year. Guess I'd better go for some long walks these next few days!!

Seriously though, I highly recommend the cake. Very easy to make and very tasty.

dontheturner Dec 25th 2010 12:36 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9059721)
I have been craving Christmas cake with crumbly white cheese all day because of these conversations about traditional British Christmases. There was no fruit cake in the local grocery store, so I came home and made this cake.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/n...ipe/index.html

I just tried a piece with Wensleydale cheese and I pronounce it a very good substitute! Oh dear. My husband doesn't eat cake and it's just the two of us this year. Guess I'd better go for some long walks these next few days!!

Seriously though, I highly recommend the cake. Very easy to make and very tasty.

Sally Well With, Nigella Lawson, wowee what can you expect? She is my Total Dream! Happy Christmas. take care dontheturner

dontheturner Dec 25th 2010 12:58 am

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9059069)
of course you are probably way ahead in time from us here, it is only 10.15am.:rofl: Don maybe you could help do you have a good receipe for Chestnut stuffing? we never have had it before, I have always followed my mums sage and onion receipe which I love, but my oh would like to try it any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Denise2

Denise2---My Mother, used to make the Sage & Onion, large amount, then divide into two, Put half onto an old Tin Plate (Enamel Dish) add some gravy Browning, (yes you can still buy it) stir it in, (add a little oil or fat) and bake it separately in the oven, always tasted nicer! Now -cakes. recipe. Weigh however many eggs you are using. Same weight of flour, same weight of Margarine (allowed to go soft), half that weight in Sugar, half that weight of sultanas, or raisins, Half that weight of glace cherries ( cut in half) Table spoon milk spoonful Vanilla Essence. Blend all into the flour, then divide into paper cake cases. Three eggs make about 15 small cakes. Oven on 180 preheated, & Cook for about twenty minutes. then have a look. If you don't like cherries, send them to me dontheturner

charleygirl Dec 25th 2010 2:09 am

6 eggs sally!!!!!:blink:

Looks delish.......

dontheturner Dec 25th 2010 5:14 am

For those who follow Royalty

www.youtube.com/TheRoyalChannel/

dontheturner PS Remember the speech is on here @ 3pm, not before!

windsong Dec 25th 2010 7:40 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9059916)
For those who follow Royalty

www.youtube.com/TheRoyalChannel/

dontheturner PS Remember the speech is on here @ 3pm, not before!

Hi Don: This is terrific! If you don't mind, I'd like to correct the link so everyone can find it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRoyalChannel/

(I added the word "user")

I wonder if we will see the Queen's Christmas speech uploaded :)

dontheturner Dec 25th 2010 9:19 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9060005)
Hi Don: This is terrific! If you don't mind, I'd like to correct the link so everyone can find it ;)

Thanks, but as I did cut and paste, it should have been complete. yes, I think it will be on there, later- but by then I will be TV ing in the bedroom! only the tele in the bedroom, has the english language on it. I am bored to death, as everywhere is open as normal.( No xmas celebration here. take care. first time I ever got liver and bacon for dinner on the 25 th! dontheturner.

windsong Dec 25th 2010 10:41 am

Merry Christmas, everyone!

I wish I felt more merry. Two days ago I came down with the worst cold I have had in years - watery eyes, sniffles, sore throat and cough :( :(

Hope everyone has a good day :)

dontheturner Dec 25th 2010 10:44 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9060137)

I wish I felt more merry. Two days ago I came down with the worst cold I have had in years - watery eyes, sniffles, sore throat and cough :( :(

Never fear - I have had sickness & Diarrhoea for almost a week, but it cleared last afternoon.

sallysimmons Dec 25th 2010 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Legree (Post 9059936)
I just saw this.
Yes I know it quite well. I have an apartment there, just off the main road, across from the park. It's about 45 minutes from Manchester airport so it's convenient for me whenever I visit the UK, which isn't very often these days. It has all amenities that I need. There is The Buxton Festival, The Opera House, The Winter Gardens and more. It has a quaint little "department' store called Potter's. It's just like Grace Brothers on Are You Being Served ! I suppose it depends on what you want but for me it is an ideal spot.

Thanks Simon. I really think we need to check it out. Our friends are in Manchester and Yorkshire, so it's pretty good for both. Only problem is it's a way from my mum in Cumbria, but I think she has half a mind to move wherever I move anyway.

The Royal family link reminded me of Christmases as a kid. My gran always used to say 'Oh turn that off!' when the Queen came on. She was so traditional and middle-class in every way, but she really did not like the Royal Family! Later when she came to stay with us each Christmas, it became a running joke. We'd say "oooh let's make sure we've finished our Christmas dinner before 3. Nan won't want to miss the Queen." And she'd roll her eyes at us. Good times! :rofl:

Windsong, I hope you feel better soon.

Videografics, wow - 8 days? I am envious and also excited for you. Which part of the UK are you moving to?

windsong Dec 25th 2010 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9060138)
Never fear - I have had sickness & Diarrhoea for almost a week, but it cleared last afternoon.

Oh my goodness, Don. So glad it cleared up. This is not the time of year (Christmas) to be down with that sort of thing. Glad you are feeling better :)

cheers Dec 25th 2010 4:35 pm

Windsong and Don,

Hope you get better fast.

We had my daughter and their two boys with us for a few days and she and a boy had all the good stuff, not, and we had to change and wash the mattress pad and sheets three times in the last week and then the 4 yo also threw up on a wing chair. Glad to see them go.;) The daughter we think was playing it up so we would baby her and take care of the boys because she had been on the road with them, playing in the snow and shopping, for about four days. She lives a different life style than the rest of us. She pays off her credit card each month and I think it is typically around $8,000 per month When she was with us her husband called and said he had got a good appraisal this year and a pay raise and a bonus of $30,000. Must be nice.
Someone said the good Lord must have liked poor people because he made so many of them, me included.

Again a very merry christmas to you all.

Cheers

windsong Dec 25th 2010 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9060206)
Thanks Simon. I really think we need to check it out. Our friends are in Manchester and Yorkshire, so it's pretty good for both. Only problem is it's a way from my mum in Cumbria, but I think she has half a mind to move wherever I move anyway.

The Royal family link reminded me of Christmases as a kid. My gran always used to say 'Oh turn that off!' when the Queen came on. She was so traditional and middle-class in every way, but she really did not like the Royal Family! Later when she came to stay with us each Christmas, it became a running joke. We'd say "oooh let's make sure we've finished our Christmas dinner before 3. Nan won't want to miss the Queen." And she'd roll her eyes at us. Good times! :rofl:

Windsong, I hope you feel better soon.

Videografics, wow - 8 days? I am envious and also excited for you. Which part of the UK are you moving to?

Thanks, Sally. All I am doing is lying down and resting. I have had nothing but Theraflu and chicken noodle soup for two days. House is a mess :(

sallysimmons Dec 25th 2010 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9060287)
Windsong and Don,

Hope you get better fast.

We had my daughter and their two boys with us for a few days and she and a boy had all the good stuff, not, and we had to change and wash the mattress pad and sheets three times in the last week and then the 4 yo also threw up on a wing chair. Glad to see them go.;) The daughter we think was playing it up so we would baby her and take care of the boys because she had been on the road with them, playing in the snow and shopping, for about four days. She lives a different life style than the rest of us. She pays off her credit card each month and I think it is typically around $8,000 per month When she was with us her husband called and said he had got a good appraisal this year and a pay raise and a bonus of $30,000. Must be nice.
Someone said the good Lord must have liked poor people because he made so many of them, me included.

Again a very merry christmas to you all.

Cheers

How lovely for your daughter to get such a Christmas surprise. You must be very proud of her.

I pay off my credit cards every month too. Always have. If I can't afford it, I don't buy it.

cheers Dec 25th 2010 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9060005)

I really liked the message. I wonder who wrote it?

Simon Legree Dec 25th 2010 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9060304)
I really liked the message. I wonder who wrote it?

Traditionally The Queen writes her own Christmas messages There is no political interference. It is one of the few times that she actually gets to use her own words.

cheers Dec 25th 2010 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Legree (Post 9060312)
Traditionally The Queen writes her own Christmas messages There is no political interference. It is one of the few times that she actually gets to use her own words.

OK I just found out where Sedona is, right by Flagstaff. Been there. Lots of snow.

Tanto Dec 25th 2010 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Wawa (Post 9059252)
To Everyone.....Have a merry, merry Xmas (there's a song in there somewhere) and a safe and happy 2011, where our dreams and hopes turn to reality and new friendships made here grow yet stronger. Thinking of you all, especially those alone :wub: :drinkwine:

Wawa - same to you!! Happy, merry Christmas to all and a joyous New Year! Hope the loners today check in here......
Tanto

ldyinlv Dec 25th 2010 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Videografics (Post 9060086)
In eight days we'll be going home. At least, back to the country of our birth.

I've been living abroad for fifteen years, the missus for a bit longer.

When I hit 50 I decided that enough is enough and gave up the job and started packing. I left the UK because I thought it was on the way down (naturally,as soon as I left, things moved up, now I'm moving back just as things seem to be sinking again!). However, I believed that the grass was greener and fell for the "German Myth" which I soon saw to be completely false.

Fifteen years later I realise that I'm moving back to Blighty fourteen years too late.

No rose-tinted spectacles or high hopes. No permanent house (just a few weeks temporary let at the moment) no job and very little cash (but no debts either).

But I sure am looking forward to it!

I am moving home after 34 years in the US on January 25th..as they say "home is where the heart is"..:)

Merry Christmas
Jackie

ldyinlv Dec 25th 2010 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9060137)

AAwwwww..so sorry wind, I feel for you girl, I had that a couple of weeks ago..lots of fluids and rest.
Merry Christmas..:)
Jackie

windsong Dec 25th 2010 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9060359)
AAwwwww..so sorry wind, I feel for you girl, I had that a couple of weeks ago..lots of fluids and rest.
Merry Christmas..:)
Jackie

Thanks, Jackie. I got some Mucinex today for my cough. I have to be so careful as I am asthmatic. Mucinex will do the trick :D So far, I have spent $30 in OTC medications :(

Merry Christmas!

ldyinlv Dec 25th 2010 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9060365)
Thanks, Jackie. I got some Mucinex today for my cough. I have to be so careful as I am asthmatic. Mucinex will do the trick :D So far, I have spent $30 in OTC medications :(

Merry Christmas!

Spoke to my parents earlier, they where settling in for an evening of good British TV, starting with the Dr Who special..lol. they said its still very cold in Lincolnshire, with snow on the ground. They just stayed in and kept cozy eating great English food....ahhh a few more weeks...:)
Jackie

cheers Dec 25th 2010 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9060366)
Spoke to my parents earlier, they where settling in for an evening of good British TV, starting with the Dr Who special..lol. they said its still very cold in Lincolnshire, with snow on the ground. They just stayed in and kept cozy eating great English food....ahhh a few more weeks...:)
Jackie

Do they have a fireplace? Thats were it starts:D