Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:15 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123
Soon I will be looking into clubs that I can join to make friends, Mum is good and great to live with but I do need my own friends in my age group too,
Rodney.
hey Rodney, check out the University of the Third Age:

http://portsmouthu3a.org.uk/

Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:02 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
How much Kendal was there compared to how much veal (aka dead babies)? Just trying to weigh up the cost-benefit analysis of watching
Programme last night about the production of veal in the UK. veal is from male calves that would, if not used for veal production, have been killed at 24 hours old, they live for about 7 months in airy barns with plenty of room to move about, are fed proper food and not confined in crush crates as they used to be. One comment was that by NOT eating veal people were condemming calves to death as soon as thye were born. The calves are born on dairy farms that want only female calves.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:44 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose those farmers who do it that way get a little credit for doing a cruel thing in a slightly less cruel way. Interesting take that by not eating meat and dairy, I'm the one responsible for the calves' death
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Programme last night about the production of veal in the UK. veal is from male calves that would, if not used for veal production, have been killed at 24 hours old, they live for about 7 months in airy barns with plenty of room to move about, are fed proper food and not confined in crush crates as they used to be. One comment was that by NOT eating veal people were condemming calves to death as soon as thye were born. The calves are born on dairy farms that want only female calves.
Why not let them live two years on grassy pastures and turn into proper steaks?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs

Yes that is what I heard on the programme and one of those things you (me) never think about, what happens to the male calves born on a dairy farm......mmmmmm
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:33 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes that is what I heard on the programme and one of those things you (me) never think about, what happens to the male calves born on a dairy farm......mmmmmm
That's why I stay away from dairy - well that and all the hormones they pump into the cows to keep them producing milk. Well those two things and the thought that I am basically drinking breast milk - YUK!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I stay away from dairy - well that and all the hormones they pump into the cows to keep them producing milk. Well those two things and the thought that I am basically drinking breast milk - YUK!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

On another note Cheers, that tower you see on the road to Styal is the women's prison, it was formerly a children's home...........
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Breast milk?
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:25 am
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Breast milk?
Well yes, that's what it is. It's the milk a cow produces to feed its baby, just like a woman produces milk to feed her child. Only these cows are kept artificially producing milk for their whole lives.

Once I stopped and thought about it, I realized it can't be good for us. The nutrients in cow's milk were designed to feed calves so they grow up to be healthy cows. Surely adult humans have different nutritional needs that a baby cow? Anyway, just the thought of what it is is gross enough to put me off. I'm not drinking anyone's breast milk. LOL!
Old Aug 14th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Well yes, that's what it is. It's the milk a cow produces to feed its baby, just like a woman produces milk to feed her child. Only these cows are kept artificially producing milk for their whole lives.

Once I stopped and thought about it, I realized it can't be good for us. The nutrients in cow's milk were designed to feed calves so they grow up to be healthy cows. Surely adult humans have different nutritional needs that a baby cow? Anyway, just the thought of what it is is gross enough to put me off. I'm not drinking anyone's breast milk. LOL!
I read somewhere that men from the northern part of Europe should not be drinking milk.

Here are some of the disease that milk can cause.

Crohn's Disease
Asthma
Early Sexual Maturation
Early Breast Growth
Diabetes
Breast Cancer
Colon Cancer
Leukemia
ADD or ADHD
Prostate Cancer
Osteoporosis
Arthritis
Sinuses
Autoimmune Disease
Lung Cancer
Childhood Anemia
Diarrhea & Constipation

Last edited by cheers; Aug 14th 2011 at 2:40 am.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I think thats a poor excuse for keeping the calf alive. Why can't famers just swop cows from one farm to another. Dairy hand over to beef farmer. I don't mind eating meat but I do mind the way in which they are killed or the lives they lead before they die. I will not eat veal or Spring lamb We all die at some point in time but at least give them a good life and a humane death.

I donate to the US humane society and they send me a magazine 4 times a year. The awful things mankind does to animals is unthinkable. But then I think we also do it to children.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sallysimmons...Everytime I drink milk I will think of breastmilk yuk. Shall have to purge my mind of that thought.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:17 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sallysimmons...Everytime I drink milk I will think of breastmilk yuk. Shall have to purge my mind of that thought.
Me too or my morning cuppa will never seem the same again LOL!!
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:22 am
Home Sweet Home

About 15 years ago Liverpool University set up a Scousers Mailing list, that was my first foray into social networking when I got my first PC. We have kept on and off correspondence over the years (the list was shut down some time ago) more off than on to be honest but with the emergence of Facebook, some online friendships were resurrected.

Well today I am going into south Liverpool to meet up with 3 of the ladies for the first time, one lives in Australia (Jenny) and is over here on holiday, the other 2 are local (Mags and Brenda), we will all meet at a pub for lunch together with about 6 of Jenny's friends, I am looking forward to a fun day.

Cheers you may remember some of the names from when you were on the list too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.