Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old May 3rd 2011, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123
bandrui,
Bin Laden from Afghanistan was the brains behind the world trade center attack on USA, 9/11/01 he killed over 3,000 people in one swift attack,
America has been trying to capture/kill him for 10 years now, hes been living in Pakistan for many years training thousands of future terroists,
,,, or at least, that's what they say.
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Does anybody think it co-incidental that the newlyweds changed their honeymoon plans before anybody had been told about Bin Laden like they were pre-warned or am I getting suspicious in my old age LOL!!
Don't you think it's rather odd that the body was "buried at sea" and that in this age of technology, they have not shown a single picture of the body? I find this very suspicious.
I spoke to someone else about this today, and they had had exactly the same thought.
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Hmmm . . . I read on one of the major websites they had known for a few days. You can never be sure what the truth is anyway, though.
We actually none of us know the truth of what happened... only what the media tells us.
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Don't you think it's rather odd that the body was "buried at sea" and that in this age of technology, they have not shown a single picture of the body? I find this very suspicious.
I spoke to someone else about this today, and they had had exactly the same thought.

Linda, when I read that I chuckled because I was wondering how on earth were they planning to present a body

I know his religion stipulated the body has to be disposed of within 24 hours, though.
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Indeed a big advantage.

There were enough things going on in the Middle East (incl Libya) already for there to be security concerns. You don't endear yourself to a country by taking out a son of the ruler and their family and by making it look like you intended to assassinate their ruler, even if he is despised by many of his citizens.

I think they might have had plans to honeymoon in the Middle East.
They are coming to Canada June 30 for 9 days. Although they are going to several provinces, unfortunately not BC.
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Linda, when I read that I chuckled because I was wondering how on earth were they planning to present a body

I know his religion stipulated the body has to be disposed of within 24 hours, though.
Well we saw Saddam Hussein being captured, didn't we.
Old May 3rd 2011, 1:16 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

BBC world news said he was buried at sea so that his grave site couldn't be turned into a shrine.
They said they do have pictures and DNA.
Old May 3rd 2011, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
BBC world news said he was buried at sea so that his grave site couldn't be turned into a shrine.
Yes - that's what I heard.
Old May 3rd 2011, 1:22 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

No. They buried him at sea so that there could be no burial place and therefore no shrine.

They have photos and DNA evidence and they're deciding what to release. If there was even a scrap of doubt, the Republicans would be all over it. They're not and so I think you can assume there's no doubt.

But of course, there will be doubters and conspiracy theories for the rest of our lives. I'm tired just thinking of it.

Last edited by sallysimmons; May 3rd 2011 at 1:24 am.
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yes I heard that. That would be a first. If they have pictures why don't they publish them.
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
No. They buried him at sea so that there could be no burial place and therefore no shrine.

They have photos and DNA evidence and they're deciding what to release. If there was even a scrap of doubt, the Republicans would be all over it. They're not and so I think you can assume there's no doubt.

But of course, there will be doubters and conspiracy theories for the rest of our lives. I'm tired just thinking of it.
Sally, why do you think we should take everything we hear on the media as gospel? Why shouldn't I doubt? What reason do I have to believe that any of this is true? Their word? I would hope that all people question the validity of what the media puts out. This would make for a much healthier society.
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Edinburgh is like a love affair; once etched into your heart, it is never forgotten.
Old May 3rd 2011, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Bluebell Walk 002 (1)

My friend in Dorset sent me the above picture she went on the walk yesterday. She moved back to the Dorset last year after 12 years in the US. She loved the US but just had a yearning to go home. She said they also had a lovely time last Friday. This is a shippet from her letter:

On Friday we held a street party in our lane for the Royal Wedding – did you watch it on TV? Four of us organised the party and held it in Sue and Nick’s front garden, 2 doors down. We had long tables set up, lots of bunting, 3 grills going and Sue had made a wedding cake for dessert. About 30 people came, which was great, as some of them we hadn’t met before. I thought the wedding itself went really well and she looked gorgeous
Old May 3rd 2011, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry the link did not work for the walk will have to try again.
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:06 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Sally, why do you think we should take everything we hear on the media as gospel? Why shouldn't I doubt? What reason do I have to believe that any of this is true? Their word? I would hope that all people question the validity of what the media puts out. This would make for a much healthier society.
I'm not sure anything I have ever posted suggests I am the kind of person who takes every word I read in the media as gospel truth.

But likewise, I don't believe everything that happens is suspect. In this case, my reading of all the reports makes me very sure that bin Laden is dead and that he was buried at sea. Everyone is entitled to a different opinion, but that's mine and here is why:

I know which journalists in America I trust and which I don't and many of the ones I trust are reporting interesting details that make perfect sense.

I also know that if there was the faintest whiff of doubt about this, the 2012 Presidential candidates and the Republican opposition would be all over it. They haven't given President Obama the benefit of the doubt on anything in 2 years and there's no reason they would start now.

And finally, I don't think Obama is stupid enough to make a huge pow-wow about having killed someone if he thought that person could pop up a few days later with a new video tape!

They may release photos soon, although my understanding is that the photos are extremely unpleasant because Bin Laden was shot in the face. This is the only reason for delay. I assume the congress has seen those photos, hence the lack of argument from them.

Anyway, that's my reasoning - which is far from believing everything I read in the media.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.