British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 3:40 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

I've always had a fascination with the property market and since downloading Expat Shield last week have over indulged in property hunting shows. This evening I've watched an episode of Homes Under the Hammer and two episodes of Escape to the Country (I know Billy No-Mates here :rolleyes:) Anyway, as one is inclined to do, in my mind I've liquidated all our assets here in the US, converted the dollars to pounds, and found that we have just under 10 quid more than bugger all. I thought we had done quite well for ourselves, but when I look at what we could actually get for our money in England, it makes me think we've been playing with Monopoly money here.

Sadly I can only see one way out of this dilemma ..... yes that's right ... we'll have to move to Wales :eek: Oh the shame of it :o

ldyinlv Jan 25th 2011 3:57 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9126576)
I've always had a fascination with the property market and since downloading Expat Shield last week have over indulged in property hunting shows. This evening I've watched an episode of Homes Under the Hammer and two episodes of Escape to the Country (I know Billy No-Mates here :rolleyes:) Anyway, as one is inclined to do, in my mind I've liquidated all our assets here in the US, converted the dollars to pounds, and found that we have just under 10 quid more than bugger all. I thought we had done quite well for ourselves, but when I look at what we could actually get for our money in England, it makes me think we've been playing with Monopoly money here.

Sadly I can only see one way out of this dilemma ..... yes that's right ... we'll have to move to Wales :eek: Oh the shame of it :o

Ok guys...signing off for a few days..catch you on the flip side..take care..
Jackie..:)

Boodles Jan 25th 2011 4:26 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9126600)
Ok guys...signing off for a few days..catch you on the flip side..take care..
Jackie..:)

Bye Jackie...take care and happy landings. Elizabeth

dunroving Jan 25th 2011 10:53 am

I know what you mean about monopoly money - I mean, how is it possible to go from having almost complete ownership of a nice 3 BR 1.5 BA detached in the States to barely having enough for a deposit for a former council house in the UK? (answer: exchange rates, low property prices in the US, high deposits and tough mortgage lending in the UK, etc.). Knowing the logical explanation doesn't help, though, I know.

I love your expression "just under 10 quid more than bugger all!" - says it all. :rofl: At least you still have a sense of humour about it.

You know, Wales isn't all that bad. There are definitely some rough parts but I met some lovely people when I lived there in 2006 ...

sallysimmons Jan 25th 2011 12:28 pm

I know, the prices in the UK are quite scary. I look at where I live now - a cute little town a short train ride to the middle of Manhattan - and think 'how can that be less expensive than Leeds??' This house the same distance outside London would cost as least double what it does here. But of course it's all about supply and demand.

Speaking of Leeds, last night I watched that 'Wanted Down Under' show and it was about a middle-aged couple from Leeds. The wife had always wanted to move to Australia but they were leaving behind a very close-knit family including two sons and a darling little grand-daughter. Grandma was really close with the little girl and kept saying how much she would miss her and how devastated she would be if none of her family followed them out to Australia. Meantime, it was clear the sons had no intention of ever going over. To make it worse, their own parents were getting old.

At the end of the show, they decided to definitely make the move. I couldn't believe it! Just because of some sunshine and an extra bedroom? I was faintly depressed afterwards thinking of all they were leaving behind.

dunroving Jan 25th 2011 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9127368)
I know, the prices in the UK are quite scary. I look at where I live now - a cute little town a short train ride to the middle of Manhattan - and think 'how can that be less expensive than Leeds??' This house the same distance outside London would cost as least double what it does here. But of course it's all about supply and demand.

Speaking of Leeds, last night I watched that 'Wanted Down Under' show and it was about a middle-aged couple from Leeds. The wife had always wanted to move to Australia but they were leaving behind a very close-knit family including two sons and a darling little grand-daughter. Grandma was really close with the little girl and kept saying how much she would miss her and how devastated she would be if none of her family followed them out to Australia. Meantime, it was clear the sons had no intention of ever going over. To make it worse, their own parents were getting old.

At the end of the show, they decided to definitely make the move. I couldn't believe it! Just because of some sunshine and an extra bedroom? I was faintly depressed afterwards thinking of all they were leaving behind.

I think that program would benefit from having the family talk with a former expat (or someone from BE!) I don't think these presenters have a clue about the realities of emigrating, and in some ways it's quite cruel and exploitative that they (deliberately or indirectly) push people towards these huge life-changing decisions.

I know, we are all responsible for our own decisions, but there is an element of putting temptation (and maybe a certain degree of implicit expectation) in the path of people who are often in a vulnerable state of mind.

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9127368)

It's the exchange rate that's the killer. If you were able to exchange dollars for pounds on a one to one basis, then you'd be ok. In truth it's left me feeling a bit deflated, because I thought that we had done really well for ourselves. But with a view to moving back to the UK, I kinda get the feeling that the dollar isn't worth the paper it's written on. I'm wondering if, if I had stayed in the UK, if I'd actually be ahead financially, taking into consideration the exchange rate:confused:

I saw the Wanted Down Under that you mentioned and had the same thoughts. Was it one of the 'Revisited" ones?

sallysimmons Jan 25th 2011 2:10 pm

Yes that was the one - they hadn't actually left by the end of the show, so I'm holding out hope that they came to their senses.

I'm sorry you feel a bit down. I did too when I started looking at UK house prices. I think what we'll end up doing is finding a rental property and then looking for a house that needs work. The cost of renovations is so much lower over there. As long as I don't have to live in it while it's being done, I don't mind the work.

SomersetGirl Jan 25th 2011 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9127479)
It's the exchange rate that's the killer. If you were able to exchange dollars for pounds on a one to one basis, then you'd be ok. In truth it's left me feeling a bit deflated, because I thought that we had done really well for ourselves. But with a view to moving back to the UK, I kinda get the feeling that the dollar isn't worth the paper it's written on. I'm wondering if, if I had stayed in the UK, if I'd actually be ahead financially, taking into consideration the exchange rate:confused:

I know exactly how you feel, its quite depressing isn't it, when you feel as though you've been quite successful and then you have to look at going back to not much more than you left:ohmy: The property prices in the UK do seem to be dropping quite a bit though and the exchange rate is forecast to stay pretty stable for a while. This is what we're pinning our hopes on.

Not sure if you were serious about Wales, but we were there last Autumn and there are some absolutely beautiful places there;we found the Welsh people so friendly.

SomersetGirl Jan 25th 2011 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9127554)
Yes that was the one - they hadn't actually left by the end of the show, so I'm holding out hope that they came to their senses.

I'm sorry you feel a bit down. I did too when I started looking at UK house prices. I think what we'll end up doing is finding a rental property and then looking for a house that needs work. The cost of renovations is so much lower over there. As long as I don't have to live in it while it's being done, I don't mind the work.

We had also considered renting a caravan, while househunting, as it could be quite a bit cheaper and you wouldn't need furniture. Not if we move in the winter though as they're too cold for English winters:D

dunroving Jan 25th 2011 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9127637)
We had also considered renting a caravan, while househunting, as it could be quite a bit cheaper and you wouldn't need furniture. Not if we move in the winter though as they're too cold for English winters:D

I think there have been some folks on here who stayed in a holiday home for several weeks when they first came back. Maybe they're not that bad in the winter ...

Mummy in the foothills Jan 25th 2011 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9127212)
I know what you mean about monopoly money - I mean, how is it possible to go from having almost complete ownership of a nice 3 BR 1.5 BA detached in the States to barely having enough for a deposit for a former council house in the UK? (answer: exchange rates, low property prices in the US, high deposits and tough mortgage lending in the UK, etc.). Knowing the logical explanation doesn't help, though, I know.

I love your expression "just under 10 quid more than bugger all!" - says it all. :rofl: At least you still have a sense of humour about it.

You know, Wales isn't all that bad. There are definitely some rough parts but I met some lovely people when I lived there in 2006 ...

Thats where we will find ourselves only worse seeing the market in Cali has crashed. We almost own here, yet going by what stuff is selling for (when it sells) We'd be lucky to get an ex local authority house (which I'm fine with living in there are some nice ones in the village and we grew up in them)
It's just depressing to think, had we stayed there 17 years back when we were there a year, we'd own a nice house there now, and it'd be paid off nearly. But we'd have only one child, as that was what I'd said, we'd have no more kids and I'm kinda partial to the younger two. :D

SomersetGirl Jan 25th 2011 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9127626)
The property prices in the UK do seem to be dropping quite a bit though and the exchange rate is forecast to stay pretty stable for a while.

If you're looking for property by the way there is a neat little tool you can download free. Its an add-on for the Firefox web browser.

When you view a property listing on a site like rightmove.co.uk, the toolbar will show the changes to the price and details since the property was listed.

www.property-bee.com

Mummy in the foothills Jan 25th 2011 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9127680)
If you're looking for property by the way there is a neat little tool you can download free. Its an add-on for the Firefox web browser.

When you view a property listing on a site like rightmove.co.uk, the toolbar will show the changes to the price and details since the property was listed.

www.property-bee.com

Theres also http://www.propertysnake.co.uk/ you can look by post code

SomersetGirl Jan 25th 2011 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9127712)
Theres also http://www.propertysnake.co.uk/ you can look by post code

Just checked it out. Its good. Thanks:D

sallysimmons Jan 25th 2011 4:15 pm

There's news today that the harsh government cuts seem to be spurring a double dip recession. If that's true, then house prices still have some way to fall in the UK.

SomersetGirl Jan 25th 2011 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9127843)
There's news today that the harsh government cuts seem to be spurring a double dip recession. If that's true, then house prices still have some way to fall in the UK.

Well, if so, that's good news for us, if not for everyone.

I did some calculations re exchange rates vs property values. Using a 300,000 GBP house as an example, with the exchange rate at 1.6 to the Cdn$ the cost is $480K. If the house value drops 2% it will cost 294 GBP or $470K. If the exchange rate drops from 1.6 to 1.5 the house at 300,000 GBP will cost Cdn $450K.

I'm not even doing the calcs if the exchange rate goes up, as its too depressing to think about:thumbdown:

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9127421)
I think that program would benefit from having the family talk with a former expat (or someone from BE!) I don't think these presenters have a clue about the realities of emigrating, and in some ways it's quite cruel and exploitative that they (deliberately or indirectly) push people towards these huge life-changing decisions.

I know, we are all responsible for our own decisions, but there is an element of putting temptation (and maybe a certain degree of implicit expectation) in the path of people who are often in a vulnerable state of mind.

Tell them to give me a buzz LOL!! :thumbsup:

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9127212)

I don't have a house anymore but I do think houses in the USA are much cheaper than the UK and Australia on the whole, though not everywhere of course.

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 5:17 pm

I don't really have any solid plans about returning yet, other than I know I want to. If both me and my OH go back then we can stay at my mum's for a while and would probably look to buy a fixer-upper. We've gutted and re-built homes before so it's no biggy.

If on the other hand my OH doesn't want to go back, then I shall be in the proverbial poopy. I came out here with nothing and have managed to save most of that:blink: I will of course be able to stay with my mum while I get myself sorted out, but after that I'm not so sure .... anyone know if they sell tents in Asda?

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9127972)
I don't have a house anymore but I do think houses in the USA are much cheaper than the UK and Australia on the whole, though not everywhere of course.

I dont know about the UK, but certainly houses in Australia are more expensive than the US. The exchange rate between both dollars are 1 for 1, but your dollar will buy you more here.

dunroving Jan 25th 2011 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9127651)
Thats where we will find ourselves only worse seeing the market in Cali has crashed. We almost own here, yet going by what stuff is selling for (when it sells) We'd be lucky to get an ex local authority house (which I'm fine with living in there are some nice ones in the village and we grew up in them)
It's just depressing to think, had we stayed there 17 years back when we were there a year, we'd own a nice house there now, and it'd be paid off nearly. But we'd have only one child, as that was what I'd said, we'd have no more kids and I'm kinda partial to the younger two. :D

It's not even worth thinking in those terms - that way lies madness.

Many of the people I know who stayed back in the UK now own a very nice house, or often own more than one house, and were able to pay the deposit on their kids' houses. Ironically, it's often the ones who bleat the loudest about the Thatcher years who managed to get a leg up by buying their parents' council house ... of course, these are the quasi-socialists who spent most of their lives living a very upper-middle class life as university lecturers and are now retired on final salary pensions and a tax-free lump sum, thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9127973)
I don't really have any solid plans about returning yet, other than I know I want to. If both me and my OH go back then we can stay at my mum's for a while and would probably look to buy a fixer-upper. We've gutted and re-built homes before so it's no biggy.

If on the other hand my OH doesn't want to go back, then I shall be in the proverbial poopy. I came out here with nothing and have managed to save most of that:blink: I will of course be able to stay with my mum while I get myself sorted out, but after that I'm not so sure .... anyone know if they sell tents in Asda?

Join the club!!! :lol:

I was just reading all your posts and you know me and my (now ex) husband came out to Australia for a "better life" for us and our kids, talk about all going pear shaped LOL. I would have been so much better off financially staying put, I look at my family in the UK and wonder why we did it?? :confused:

There are they going on holidays and me going back there after 30 years here with nowt to show for it. :thumbdown:

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9127987)

Many of the people I know who stayed back in the UK now own a very nice house, or often own more than one house, and were able to pay the deposit on their kids' houses. Ironically, it's often the ones who bleat the loudest about the Thatcher years who managed to get a leg up by buying their parents' council house ... of course, these are the quasi-socialists who spent most of their lives living a very upper-middle class life as university lecturers and are now retired on final salary pensions and a tax-free lump sum, thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Anyone you know personally? :D

dunroving Jan 25th 2011 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9127998)
Anyone you know personally? :D

Well there is one particular person who hails from Kirkby (Liverpool) who almost spits Maggie's name, but he's hardly lived a working man's life or ended up poor as a result of the Thatcher years.

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9127993)
Join the club!!! :lol:

I was just reading all your posts and you know me and my (now ex) husband came out to Australia for a "better life" for us and our kids, talk about all going pear shaped LOL. I would have been so much better off financially staying put, I look at my family in the UK and wonder why we did it?? :confused:

There are they going on holidays and me going back there after 30 years here with nowt to show for it. :thumbdown:

Bee maybe you and I should start a business helping out all the waifs and strays that return home on their own like us ;)

Jerseygirl Jan 25th 2011 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9127981)
I dont know about the UK, but certainly houses in Australia are more expensive than the US. The exchange rate between both dollars are 1 for 1, but your dollar will buy you more here.

Surely it depends where you live...Florida is hardly typical. Property here in the New York Metropolitan area is expensive...even if prices have fallen.

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9128005)
Well there is one particular person who hails from Kirkby (Liverpool) who almost spits Maggie's name, but he's hardly lived a working man's life or ended up poor as a result of the Thatcher years.

Some people just don't know how good they have it do they!! My ex-brother in law has made a career out of the benefits system and is now moaning because of the proposed government cuts. He occasionally works as a bricklayer during the winter months leading up to Xmas. That way he has some money for presents and also it keeps the benefit people off his back. Then come the nice weather in the spring he gets a bad back and has to be laid off. He says he doesn't want to work in the summer because the weather's too nice and he wants to go fishing .... And he has the cheek to moan about the cuts to benefits :(

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9128005)

Aha!!! Them blimmin' Scousers. ;)

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9128023)
Bee maybe you and I should start a business helping out all the waifs and strays that return home on their own like us ;)

That has already been started up on another thread by Tanto, some kind of halfway house!! It was suggested on the over 50's thread firstly as so many people are in our position, luckily you have your mum and I have family in the UK but if you see Rosie (Islandwoman) for instance, she just had friends to stay with and has now moved into a little studio apartment.

I thought you had a OH? Doesn't he want to move back? I think that would be the hardest thing. :(

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9128043)
Some people just don't know how good they have it do they!! My ex-brother in law has made a career out of the benefits system and is now moaning because of the proposed government cuts. He occasionally works as a bricklayer during the winter months leading up to Xmas. That way he has some money for presents and also it keeps the benefit people off his back. Then come the nice weather in the spring he gets a bad back and has to be laid off. He says he doesn't want to work in the summer because the weather's too nice and he wants to go fishing .... And he has the cheek to moan about the cuts to benefits :(

:frown:

And then people on these forums whinge about people like us returning home and using the NHS because we haven't paid into the system!!!! :sneaky:

They should start with the dole bludgers (Aussie term) that are already there leeching off the land!!

You can't compare going to the doctor for a prescription because you are sick to a person getting the dole (and all other kinds of benefits no doubt) on a weekly basis!!!!

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9128025)
Surely it depends where you live...Florida is hardly typical. Property here in the New York Metropolitan area is expensive...even if prices have fallen.

True, but then New York is hardly typical either is it. We had toyed with the idea of moving to Oz a few years ago so were looking at homes there on the internet and it seemed like we wouldn't get much for our money. We travel all over the US with the work we do and generally stay 4 weeks on location, and I usually pick up a couple of property magazines to take a look at. Now I'm just making a general observation from what I've seen on my travels, but I would say that looking at new construction in the US you could get a fairly nice house for the average price of between 200K to 300K. I'm talking about something on a sub-division, 3 bed, 2 bath 2 car garage. Something comparable with that in Australia appeared to be at least $100K more expensive.

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9128077)
That has already been started up on another thread by Tanto, some kind of halfway house!! It was suggested on the over 50's thread firstly as so many people are in our position, luckily you have your mum and I have family in the UK but if you see Rosie (Islandwoman) for instance, she just had friends to stay with and has now moved into a little studio apartment.

I thought you had a OH? Doesn't he want to move back? I think that would be the hardest thing. :(

We're not married, and I don't know if he wants to go back. I haven't broached the subject with him yet because he's been away working since just after Xmas, and is still away now, so it will be another couple of weeks before I see him. He tells anyone that ask's that it's paradise living here, so I don't think he'll want to go home.

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9128084)
True, but then New York is hardly typical either is it. We had toyed with the idea of moving to Oz a few years ago so were looking at homes there on the internet and it seemed like we wouldn't get much for our money. We travel all over the US with the work we do and generally stay 4 weeks on location, and I usually pick up a couple of property magazines to take a look at. Now I'm just making a general observation from what I've seen on my travels, but I would say that looking at new construction in the US you could get a fairly nice house for the average price of between 200K to 300K. I'm talking about something on a sub-division, 3 bed, 2 bath 2 car garage. Something comparable with that in Australia appeared to be at least $100K more expensive.

Somebody I know has just put an offer in on a house in Wollongong (not Sydney), older house, 4 bed, 2 bath, 1 garage $485,000.00. :eek:

Pollyana Jan 25th 2011 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9127970)
Tell them to give me a buzz LOL!! :thumbsup:

Hey, you should keep an eye on BE's media forum, http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701231 is runnign at the moment, and there are often journalists sniffing around ;)

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9128133)
Hey, you should keep an eye on BE's media forum, http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701231 is runnign at the moment, and there are often journalists sniffing around ;)

Ooooh no Polly, this forum is as "public" as I like to go, I am very British in that way LOL!! :lol:

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9128103)
We're not married, and I don't know if he wants to go back. I haven't broached the subject with him yet because he's been away working since just after Xmas, and is still away now, so it will be another couple of weeks before I see him. He tells anyone that ask's that it's paradise living here, so I don't think he'll want to go home.

Good luck then. :thumbsup: How long have you been away from the UK?

sallysimmons Jan 25th 2011 6:24 pm

I didn't bleat about the Thatcher years - I just gave up and went to Canada :lol: Ironic that I'll be coming back to Cameron. :rolleyes:

beachgal, I didn't know you hadn't discussed it yet. I suppose there's always a chance he's just putting a brave face on things when he calls it paradise?

My husband had never considered returning home until I brought it up but he is coming round, although not completely there yet. Sometimes men take some time to process changes like this, so don't be too put off his first reaction is negative. He may change.

Pollyana Jan 25th 2011 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9128159)
Ooooh no Polly, this forum is as "public" as I like to go, I am very British in that way LOL!! :lol:

You and me both, I've had several journalists after me cos of being a supermod, makes me more noticeable I suppose, but NOOOOOOO!!!!

Mummy in the foothills Jan 25th 2011 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9127987)

Well we all know I'm leaning towards the mad side here. :lol: So no nudging is needed.