Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 30th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Dh noticed that, it had clovers on the collar. Very nice it looked too
Shamrocks plllllease!

I was always confused by the fact that the Irish Guards are actually associated with the Republic of Ireland and not Northern Ireland even though they recruit in Northern Ireland.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 3:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Shamrocks plllllease!

I was always confused by the fact that the Irish Guards are actually associated with the Republic of Ireland and not Northern Ireland even though they recruit in Northern Ireland.
Sorry, Shamrocks
Old Apr 30th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

well I hope it is okay to post this on this forum. I will be in UK for about 5-6 weeks in July-August timeframe. I will be travelling a wee bit and wondered if there is a phone I can use whilst in UK. I am sure there is something similar to the TracFones we have in the US. My tracfone can't be used overseas and I deliberately chose TracFone and removed landline to save costs..
Old Apr 30th 2011, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
well I hope it is okay to post this on this forum. I will be in UK for about 5-6 weeks in July-August timeframe. I will be travelling a wee bit and wondered if there is a phone I can use whilst in UK. I am sure there is something similar to the TracFones we have in the US. My tracfone can't be used overseas and I deliberately chose TracFone and removed landline to save costs..
I think this is a relevant moving-back-to-the-uk question,as many people will want to go back for reconnaissance trips before moving back, or will be at a temporary address when they do first move back, and in either case, this kind of non-contract phone is useful.

I bought a pay-as-you-go phone from Orange about three years ago, the cheapest one they had--about 20 pounds.

You just put money on it to top it up, either in a shop, or by calling and using credit card if you have set that up. Calls and texts are expensive, it's true, but this is far better and easier than having any sort of contract.

If you go back to the UK within six months, the phone will still work with the same phone number. So I've been successfully using it for at least three years, every time I visit the uk.

I think, but am not sure, that if you couldn't get back within six months, but just called the number from US or wherever, or got someone in uk to call the number for you, that is enough to keep the account active and keep the number.

But I am not sure, as I've always been able to go back before the six months are up.

Tina.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 6:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
I think this is a relevant moving-back-to-the-uk question,as many people will want to go back for reconnaissance trips before moving back, or will be at a temporary address when they do first move back, and in either case, this kind of non-contract phone is useful.

I bought a pay-as-you-go phone from Orange about three years ago, the cheapest one they had--about 20 pounds.

You just put money on it to top it up, either in a shop, or by calling and using credit card if you have set that up. Calls and texts are expensive, it's true, but this is far better and easier than having any sort of contract.

If you go back to the UK within six months, the phone will still work with the same phone number. So I've been successfully using it for at least three years, every time I visit the uk.

I think, but am not sure, that if you couldn't get back within six months, but just called the number from US or wherever, or got someone in uk to call the number for you, that is enough to keep the account active and keep the number.

But I am not sure, as I've always been able to go back before the six months are up.

Tina.
+1. My current Orange PAYG was £10, I think. Bog standard, no camera, but does the trick.

As I discovered recently (see my post in the Lab), it's not so much using the phone that is important, as topping it up. I lost my number, even though I use it to text just about every week, because I hadn't topped up in several months. I even used it 10 minutes before they stole the number! (I lost my current balance too, which was about £10, the barstewards).
Old Apr 30th 2011, 6:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Tesco has pay as you go now too. How convenient is that for top ups and finding a phone.
My Mums O2 pay as you go works over here when she's on vacation.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
+1. My current Orange PAYG was £10, I think. Bog standard, no camera, but does the trick.

As I discovered recently (see my post in the Lab), it's not so much using the phone that is important, as topping it up. I lost my number, even though I use it to text just about every week, because I hadn't topped up in several months. I even used it 10 minutes before they stole the number! (I lost my current balance too, which was about £10, the barstewards).
Oh wow Dunroving, this is important--I didn't realise it was the topping-up that kept your number active, not just using it. What happened to you is dreadful! Thanks for the tip!

I will check out "The Lab"-never heard of it, another thread in Britexpats forums I imagine? on technical matters I guess?

I tried to edit my post to say I forgot I was in the chitchat thread, I thought the question was asked, and I was answering, in the main 50s+ thread, and i think it would have been a valid question there as well as here!

Tina
Old Apr 30th 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I lost about $20 on Boostmobile because I didn't top it up. They require $20 top up every 90 days. In the mean time I have gone back to T-mobile because I only have to ad on once every 12 months.

Come to think of it I will have to double check Boostmobile now.

Last edited by cheers; Apr 30th 2011 at 8:34 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds

I tried to edit my post to say I forgot I was in the chitchat thread, I thought the question was asked, and I was answering, in the main 50s+ thread, and i think it would have been a valid question there as well as here!

Tina
I think it is good to use Chit Chat instead of Part II because you don't get hassled on here.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I think it is good to use Chit Chat instead of Part II because you don't get hassled on here.
Good point
Old Apr 30th 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree Cheers!
Old Apr 30th 2011, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the one cheers, Mrs personality UGH SHE DARENT LOWER HER HEAD OR THAT REDICULAS HAT WOULD HAVE FALLEN OFF. well she is pregnant though so maybe she was just having a bad day.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I lost about $20 on Boostmobile because I didn't top it up. They require $20 top up every 90 days. In the mean time I have gone back to T-mobile because I only have to ad on once every 12 months.

Come to think of it I will have to double check Boostmobile now.
I hAVE T.MOBIL and I dont use it much so I only top it up about once every 2 or 3 months for £10, or you can just top up with £5 if u want.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Tesco has pay as you go now too. How convenient is that for top ups and finding a phone.
My Mums O2 pay as you go works over here when she's on vacation.
I bought my phone at tesco for £12.95 no ccamerabut it is a nice flip top pocket size, it came with a free £5 top up, and I just bought an extra £5 top up, its a nice slesleekyone, I like it caUSE you can leave it for as long as you like and when its empty u just top it up anytime, most stores do it or I just pop into the post office to top it off when its low,
Old Apr 30th 2011, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was able to keep my Boostmobile with $10. which is good for 90 days.
On Monday I have to go down to Los Angeles and stay over night so now I have two cell phones if I need them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.