British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Mummy in the foothills Jan 23rd 2011 10:40 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9123422)
Pedophile gangs???????!!!!OMG what is that?

I read something about this on BBC online. Grooming young white girls by Indian men saying they wouldn't touch good Indian girls but white girls are easy or something, some politician got himself in a pickle over it all.
DR got there before me Opps.

ldyinlv Jan 23rd 2011 10:41 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9123495)
I read something about this on BBC online. Grooming young white girls by Indian men saying they wouldn't touch good Indian girls but white girls are easy or something, some politician got himself in a pickle over it all.

WOW, that is just sick..unimaginable.

beachgal21 Jan 23rd 2011 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome (Post 9123436)
Thing is ,at least there is a watershed in the UK .

I didn't think it would make much difference ...it really does though .

I think one can choose not to have the news on when you have tiny ones around ,even ABC family is full of violence during the breaks :(

There is not one channel (bar PBS)that I can sit down with my younger children and relax .

I am a VERY active member of another forum(American ) ,I posed my problem with violence to them ,I got maybe 4 replies -even those women that answered were not that bothered .

No disrespect to Americans intended ...:)

Here's what I noticed about violent crime here in the US, is that it only really makes the local news. I'm not talking about incidents like the recent political shooting in AZ or the shooting at the college in VA. I'm talking of a shooting or murder in the next town. I live on the Gulf coast of Florida, Orlando is approx 2 hours away, but we don't get news of violent crime in Orlando on our news. When I lived in the UK, any murder was national news and it stayed in the news for at least a few days if not longer. Here, it makes the local news for one day tops. Maybe if all the violent crime was reported on the national news here, then Americans might start to realize just what a violent country they live in.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 23rd 2011 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome (Post 9123436)
Thing is ,at least there is a watershed in the UK .

I didn't think it would make much difference ...it really does though .

I think one can choose not to have the news on when you have tiny ones around ,even ABC family is full of violence during the breaks :(

There is not one channel (bar PBS)that I can sit down with my younger children and relax .

I am a VERY active member of another forum(American ) ,I posed my problem with violence to them ,I got maybe 4 replies -even those women that answered were not that bothered .

No disrespect to Americans intended ...:)

The blood and guts commercials in the middle of the family time gets me too. I really like the watershed idea they have going in UK. Then there wouldn't be Bones coming on at dinner time or Law and Order at noon.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 23rd 2011 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9123500)
Here's what I noticed about violent crime here in the US, is that it only really makes the local news. I'm not talking about incidents like the recent political shooting in AZ or the shooting at the college in VA. I'm talking of a shooting or murder in the next town. I live on the Gulf coast of Florida, Orlando is approx 2 hours away, but we don't get news of violent crime in Orlando on our news. When I lived in the UK, any murder was national news and it stayed in the news for at least a few days if not longer. Here, it makes the local news for one day tops. Maybe if all the violent crime was reported on the national news here, then Americans might start to realize just what a violent country they live in.

Half the time they don't even report murders here on the news, unless it was something unusual like a child was involved or it was a pillar of the community or a cop (theres still daily reports of murder though). Anything where two unknowns or god forbid a gang member and it doesn't get 30 seconds, but it may make it half way though the local paper.

sallysimmons Jan 23rd 2011 10:50 pm

I wonder how much 'grooming' is really going on as opposed to the way the media make it sound. Sounds like a story that has everything the media wants so they can scare middle England - nasty 'brown' men hurting innocent white girls. Oh the horror! Never mind the fact that white men hurt white girls every day of the week and it doesn't make the news.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that wouldn't also be horrifying, but I think you have to take this stuff with a pinch of salt.

If I watched the local news, I'd probably never go out. There never seems to be a day go by without violence or carnage and yet my life doesn't seem to be affected. I really think the news distorts reality.

When my mum starts to go on about how awful things are in England, I always ask her to be specific. She can never name one thing that's happened to her - just stuff she read in the paper or saw on TV.

fish.01 Jan 24th 2011 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9123244)
I think they are Victorian and Edwardian terraces rather than Georgian........though I have been known to be wrong. :)

They are terraces built in the Georgian style which carried on into the Victorian period. The main point is that there are many period character homes that never make these shows and limit the perceived choices to new builds. Shame but I guess they are just pandering to the main market in front of them.

sallysimmons Jan 24th 2011 2:34 am

What percentage of Adelaide (the city they were in on the show I watched) is period homes versus newer homes?

I'm in the US and live in what is considered an old home - it was built in 1920! There are older homes of course in some towns on the East Coast, but I couldn't pretend that it's anything like the UK. There weren't many people here back in Victorian days, and the further West you go, the newer the homes. It's not an insult - just a fact of life when you live in a relatively new country.

fish.01 Jan 24th 2011 2:53 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9123866)
What percentage of Adelaide (the city they were in on the show I watched) is period homes versus newer homes?

I'm in the US and live in what is considered an old home - it was built in 1920! There are older homes of course in some towns on the East Coast, but I couldn't pretend that it's anything like the UK. There weren't many people here back in Victorian days, and the further West you go, the newer the homes. It's not an insult - just a fact of life when you live in a relatively new country.

Adelaide, no idea on the percentage but they have some beauties. City of churches, parks and fine homes. I agree, no one would consider it the same as a European country. But the other extreme of barely having any historic homes is often flung around about both Australia and the USA which I find equally silly. When you consider the age of most homes in the UK they don't pre-date the USA or even Australia (1788). A lot were built in the last 100 years. On the other hand their finest examples are fantastic!!! Wandering down some London streets is bliss. I really enjoy the variety and history of American architecture as well.

sallysimmons Jan 24th 2011 1:34 pm

It depends where you are in America. The East Coast was the original country so there are some nice older homes, although not millions of them. The West is much newer. I went to look at houses in Oregon once in preparation for a possible move - beautiful, beautiful state with amazing scenery, but I couldn't find a character home to save my life. The closest I got was a 1950s bungalow :rofl: Admittedly I wasn't looking at super-expensive homes, but still ...

I do agree with you about England - my target town Kendal has some beautiful old homes, but over recent years it has been developed to within an inch of its life and there are just so many modern little estates with boxy houses and identical bungalows. I find those houses a bit depressing. It isn't hard to put a bit of thought into blending in with the surroundings!

fish.01 Jan 24th 2011 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9124804)
It depends where you are in America. The East Coast was the original country so there are some nice older homes, although not millions of them. The West is much newer. I went to look at houses in Oregon once in preparation for a possible move - beautiful, beautiful state with amazing scenery, but I couldn't find a character home to save my life. The closest I got was a 1950s bungalow :rofl: Admittedly I wasn't looking at super-expensive homes, but still ...

I do agree with you about England - my target town Kendal has some beautiful old homes, but over recent years it has been developed to within an inch of its life and there are just so many modern little estates with boxy houses and identical bungalows. I find those houses a bit depressing. It isn't hard to put a bit of thought into blending in with the surroundings!

The great thing about american architecture (compared to the uk for example) is the variety that comes from such a large and diverse landscape with varying weather systems, materials etc. Australia also has this to a lessor degree (Queenslander wooden homes vs brick). Obviously the UK has diversity of materials as well - it is just a bit limited to cold weather construction being a similar climate all over due to its small size. The whole of Europe is probably a better comparison.

Looks like Portland does have some character homes but I guess it's easy to miss them without a local tucked in your pocket :)

http://www.brownkat.com/Recently_20_Sold.html

sallysimmons Jan 24th 2011 2:38 pm

I had a realtor taking me round, but those old houses are few and far between.

I would add that 1907 isn't 1788 ;) and that's what I meant about all the old houses being on the East Coast. Lewis and Clark didn't even get to Oregon until 1830-something so the likelihood of finding many old homes is unlikely to say the least!

dunroving Jan 24th 2011 7:29 pm

Guess who just had an interview this evening? ;)

[This comes under the topic of daily catch-up]

Jerseygirl Jan 24th 2011 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9125477)

:thumbsup: Excellent. :thumbsup:

:fingerscrossed: for you :fingerscrossed:

dunroving Jan 24th 2011 8:23 pm

DOES NOBODY CARE?????

Guess you'll just have to wait until tomorrow to find out all about it, now.

I'm off to watch Silent Witness... and drink me cocoa. And tell the dog about my interview.

[OK, thanks JG, I see you noticed while I was making up my pity-post] Will tell y'all about it later.

Jerseygirl Jan 24th 2011 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9125606)
DOES NOBODY CARE?????

Guess you'll just have to wait until tomorrow to find out all about it, now.

I'm off to watch Silent Witness... and drink me cocoa. And tell the dog about my interview.

[OK, thanks JG, I see you noticed while I was making up my pity-post] Will tell y'all about it later.

I'm all ears. :)

sallysimmons Jan 24th 2011 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9125606)
DOES NOBODY CARE?????

Oops my mistake for working and not paying attention!

An interview for a job in the UK or the US?

Is it something you want? How did it go?

Wawa Jan 24th 2011 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9125609)
I'm all ears. :)

Me too ;) I think it must be good...

dunroving Jan 24th 2011 8:32 pm

OK, quick details:

Pre-interview (phone), they're inviting next week or so.

Search Committee of 5

The usual questions, plus some missing that I would have asked if I were themk (Like, "You've moved around a lot, how do we know you'd stay?")

I think it went well, but you never know, very weird not being able to see facial expressions and reactions. First time I ever interviewed with a beer in my hand, wearing my slippers :eek:

The job is in Georgia, out in the Boonies a bit but not like Alabamistan.

Will have to wait and see, I'll keep you informed (though as I don't like to jinx myself, you probably won't hear until after the fact, like this time).

Sally Redux Jan 24th 2011 8:35 pm

Sounds good :fingerscrossed:

islandwoman120 Jan 24th 2011 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9125629)
OK, quick details:

Search Committee of 5

The usual questions, plus some missing that I would have asked if I were themk (Like, "You've moved around a lot, how do we know you'd stay?")

I think it went well, but you never know, very weird not being able to see facial expressions and reactions. First time I ever interviewed with a beer in my hand, wearing my slippers :eek:

Will have to wait and see, I'll keep you informed (though as I don't like to jinx myself, you probably won't hear until after the fact, like this time).

So... will you change your BE name then? dunrovin hasn't done roving.

Isabel_7 Jan 24th 2011 8:41 pm

OK, quick details:

Search Committee of 5

Keeping a good thought for you D.R.:)

Jerseygirl Jan 24th 2011 8:42 pm

OK, quick details:

Search Committee of 5

Hopefully this one will come good for you. :fingerscrossed:

dunroving Jan 24th 2011 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9125640)
So... will you change your BE name then? dunrovin hasn't done roving.

No, I see my name as being an exercise in irony. Besides, I will, eventually, be dunroving.

I'm really, really superstitious about these things so you probably won't hear anything else until I do/don't get the job - just like last year. I'm a Que sera, Sera kinda guy and getting all excited and expectant just isn't my style - too many disappointments has made me philosophical.

sallysimmons Jan 24th 2011 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9125667)
I'm a Que sera, Sera kinda guy and getting all excited and expectant just isn't my style - too many disappointments has made me philosophical.

Well, I'm wishing you well anyway so there!

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed that you get what you want.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 24th 2011 9:00 pm

Congratulations, was it for the US or a different job in UK?
OK I read your update Georgia, congratulations

beachgal21 Jan 24th 2011 9:25 pm

OK, quick details:

Search Committee of 5

I think you're stark raving bonkers .... but good luck anyway :thumbup:

Beedubya Jan 24th 2011 9:27 pm

:fingerscrossed::thumbsup::thumbup:

A University in the UK or the USA???

Edit

Ooops I just saw that you had come off your pity pot to answer the audience. :lol:

All the very best to you DR, I know this is what you want, the reverse to us lot LOL!! :D

Celticspirit Jan 24th 2011 9:49 pm

OK, quick details:

Search Committee of 5

Congratulations. Have you ever been to Georgia?

ldyinlv Jan 24th 2011 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9125843)

Congrats...:) Georgia is not so bad, mosquitos that you could mistake for small birds..lol but other than that, its very pretty..:) Just kidding, I hope it works out for you.

dunroving Jan 24th 2011 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9125843)

Spent 4 years in Athens, a bit different from small-town rural Georgia.

This will be close to Savannah and Tybee island.

Jerseygirl Jan 24th 2011 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9125880)

Have you told her that she may be taking another trip across the pond?

dunroving Jan 24th 2011 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9125883)
Have you told her that she may be taking another trip across the pond?

My shadow follows me everywhere ...

(Now we're gettig into the realms of the presumptuous, so I'm done posting on this topic until the next stage is over, for good or bad). It will do my head in otherwise. Back to the drudge and living in hope.

Jerseygirl Jan 24th 2011 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9125910)
My shadow follows me everywhere ...

(Now we're gettig into the realms of the presumptuous, so I'm done posting on this topic until the next stage is over, for good or bad). It will do my head in otherwise. Back to the drudge and living in hope.

Sounds like my girl. My husband calls her Miss Two Yards...because she's never more than two yards away from me. :wub:

islandwoman120 Jan 24th 2011 10:48 pm

Lucky so and so! I LOVE Savannah, and just over the border, Charleston. Gorgeous area of the USA. I visited both places many, many times and was sorely tempted to live in Charleston. But never happened - in Frome instead!

Derrygal Jan 24th 2011 11:02 pm

Savannah's very nice - also St Simon's Island and Jekyll Island - I lived in a small town in Georgia for 3 years. The winters were pleasant (very mild) but the summers a little too hot and humid for me. Too many rednecks as well - although this was back in the mid 80s, so things may have changed down there. I would imagine if you're living in a college town there will be fewer rednecks (at least I hope so).
Good luck to you!!

beachgal21 Jan 24th 2011 11:03 pm

Savannah is a very pretty area, we've been here several times and taken visitors there too. The scene in the movie Forrest Gump where he's sat on the bench while waiting for the bus is filmed in Savannah, as is the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (excellent by the way).

islandwoman120 Jan 24th 2011 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9125998)
Savannah is a very pretty area, we've been here several times and taken visitors there too. The scene in the movie Forrest Gump where he's sat on the bench while waiting for the bus is filmed in Savannah, as is the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (excellent by the way).

'Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil' is one of the few DVDs I own. I must have watched it 20 times or more- Kevin Spacey - oh lordy, lordy: 'I have an eye for framing things - 44 lon..ng'. Don't let me get started. Took a few bus tours there last Winter - November time. Beautiful city - Savannah.

Derrygal Jan 24th 2011 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9126013)
'Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil' is one of the few DVDs I own. I must have watched it 20 times or more- Kevin Spacey - oh lordy, lordy: 'I have an eye for framing things - 44 lon..ng'. Don't let me get started. Took a few bus tours there last Winter - November time. Beautiful city - Savannah.

I've never seen that movie but heard about - I think I'll put it on my Netflix queue.

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 3:23 am

I just watched Escape to the Country, it was Warwickshire .... my stomping ground ......:cry_smile: