Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by windsong
I was searching around on Google about the dress and no one knows a thing, it seems. Usually they let out a few hints but I can find nothing this time.

I love royal weddings. I watched Diana's and Sarah's but there's something special about this one. Not only will William be king one day, but I actually think this marriage might last! That's special!!!

I also think William and Kate are more "normal" than past Royals. They have known each other for a long time, are best friends, and they appear to have behaved like normal young people when they were growing up.
I've been looking and googling the dress and I can't find it. It was hinted on a few months ago when it showed everyone in England wearing the modern dress and it included the Queen.
In order to be modern it has been revealed that all attending the royal wedding with be wearing those reflective safety vests since this is the modern fashion in England.

http://alertshirt.com/clas2safves.html
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I've been looking and googling the dress and I can't find it. It was hinted on a few months ago when it showed everyone in England wearing the modern dress and it included the Queen.
In order to be modern it has been revealed that all attending the royal wedding with be wearing those reflective safety vests since this is the modern fashion in England.

http://alertshirt.com/clas2safves.html
This is along the lines of what I was expecting:

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-...ing-dress.html

Sarah Burton designed Michelle Obama's dress (which she then adjusted) for the State Dinner during the recent visit of the President of China.

All rumours of course!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:44 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting read on how the Americans are viewing the Royal Wedding.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...the-party.html
Old Apr 28th 2011, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Interesting read on how the Americans are viewing the Royal Wedding.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...the-party.html
I was just checking back to four years ago when Hillary and Barak were already well into their posturing ahead of the first primaries and the media had a bone to chew on.

The US media lovelies have nothing else right now apart from the birth cert so they have to milk this dead cert for all it's worth.

As sallyredux has been complaining in recent days, they sure as hell can't discuss issues.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 28th 2011 at 5:17 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 5:22 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Jersey Royal ...by any chance ?
FINALLY Gab I just got some today, half price at Morrison's, they are cooking right now as we speak.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Point here. Tesco has been in Eastern Europe recruiting workers for low wages while people in England can't get work. It doesn't make sense. Yes it does really when you think 'bottom line'
Hi Cheers!

Over the weekend I spoke to my son in Glasgow who works in the hospitality/restaurant business as a waiter while he tries to run a parallel life trying to find work (his first job) in his chosen field of planning and urban design.

He says that he is on just over minimum wage and gets a share of tips - the typical restaurant business will keep all service charges but there was a media backlash against this a couple of years back and some give this to staff. If he is rostered to work on the public holiday he gets nothing extra and those not rostered get nothing for the holiday. He did mention that Tesco pay a differential to staff who work on Sundays so I guess they also pay something for public holidays.

Clearly Tesco are not at the bottom of the "food chain".

Even prison inmates will benefit from the extra public holiday tomorrow:

Those whose release date falls on a bank holiday are let out the previous working day.

As you've said before, being a con you get some surprising benefits.

The minimum wage is a big help in the hospitality industry which is why some hotel groups can exploit it strategically, including Whitbread:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...in-double-size

Soon every other high shop might be a coffee shop. Certainly if Canterbury is anything to go by.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 28th 2011 at 8:35 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Well, Rod, The invite is there - What more can I say? Regards Don
Don I will give you a call soon ---- promise. hope you and your wife Tim are settling in at home, Enjoy watching the wedding tomorrow, ---- Or perhaps you have an invite, and me and Mum may see you on Telly (:
Take care,
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Apr 28th 2011 at 10:12 pm. Reason: add words
Old Apr 28th 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

FINALLY Gab I just got some today, half price at Morrison's, they are cooking right now as we speak.
Yum ,hope they were nice (as I know by the time I have typed this they will be polished off lol )

I did an ad for Jersey Royals once ,I was dressed up as a she ~ devil and placed above the Jersey Royals in the supermarket

I actually like them roasted (just remembered )
Old Apr 28th 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

New flicks on Flickr: Lacock, Wiltshire
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7626477924441/
Old Apr 28th 2011, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

That's because it is TOP SECRET!!!!
So there are no rumors buzzing around over there either ???

Gees! I will just have to wait up all night to get the first glimpse!
Old Apr 29th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2

Sarah Burton designed Michelle Obama's dress (which she then adjusted) for the State Dinner during the recent visit of the President of China.

All rumours of course!

I hope she doesn't walk down the aisle looking like that

Seriously, though, I think it will look quite traditional and seeing her wear these almost vertical hats at times makes me think she might have some gigantic embellishment in her hair and then, once married, walk down the aisle with a tiara.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:29 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong

Gees! I will just have to wait up all night to get the first glimpse!
Or just get a good night's sleep and then watch the endless re-reruns that even I won't be able to escape
Old Apr 29th 2011, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
New flicks on Flickr: Lacock, Wiltshire
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7626477924441/
I think these are your best set yet... beautiful colours, terra cottas, blues, golds.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2

All rumours of course!
Sarah Burton has done an incredible job of taking over Alexander Mcqueen since his death. They worked very closely together and she has definitely continued his spirit.
I wouldn't be surprised if she was the designer (I had heard this too) but wonder if she's a bit innovative for Kate who often dresses fairly conservatively. We'll see.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Have you heard about this EU ban on herbal medicine? This has been in the works for some time and is something we need to be very concerned about.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_herbal_me...2251836&v=8982

This is a part of Codex Alimentarius, a global effort backed by Big Pharma to outlaw natural medicines. There has been much talk about it here, including the powers that will be given to authorities to levy steep fines on ordinary citizens. Scary.

http://www.anh-europe.org/campaigns/codex

Britain has a deep history in herbal medicinals and natural remedies. It would be a real travesty to see this outlawed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.