British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

dontheturner Jul 2nd 2012 9:06 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10149080)
Don't try this at home..........

http://devour.com/video/treadmill-fails/

Cheers

Well, Cheers - Had one - many years ago. Soon got used to it, though.
However - the video had me in stitches! thanks. Don

aliblu4191 Jul 2nd 2012 10:48 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
What a great video!! everyone at work thinks that i have lost my marbles, I'm crying , laughing. :)

cheers Jul 2nd 2012 11:10 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10149672)
Th cottage in the first picture in part two is a tea shop near my Moms house. Has been for the last 25 years or more.
http://www.tuhwntirbont.co.uk/ in the site pictures the vines are all green though, but it is definitely the same place.

Wow I didn't know you were from them parts. Do you speak Welsh?
Cheers

Mummy in the foothills Jul 3rd 2012 2:21 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10151168)
Wow I didn't know you were from them parts. Do you speak Welsh?
Cheers

I'm not really any good at it.

jasper123 Jul 3rd 2012 11:58 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10149099)
I tried to find cottages with snow in Wales and found this. I don't know if it is for real or not?

http://sue-adams.hubpages.com/hub/li...ottage-part-1#

Cheers

cheers good video on the treadmill, very funny and the music was very fitting, thanks.

Derrygal Jul 4th 2012 4:53 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
On a different note - just read on the BBC website that Eric Sykes has died. Great comedian - absolutely loved his television shows, especially when he worked with Hattie Jacques. RIP Eric.

Celticspirit Jul 4th 2012 5:04 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 10154569)
On a different note - just read on the BBC website that Eric Sykes has died. Great comedian - absolutely loved his television shows, especially when he worked with Hattie Jacques. RIP Eric.

Awwww...he was great fun;-(
Watching Andy Murray. I love Wimbledon.

cheers Jul 4th 2012 10:02 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
Does anyone know any people in this photograph?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18703604

I recognize a few.

Cheers

cheers Jul 4th 2012 11:32 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
Just to cheer you up. (not)

http://w3.newsmax.com/a/aftershockb/...mo_code=F354-1

You may want to get on the first boat out of America.

Cheers

Mummy in the foothills Jul 5th 2012 9:33 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10155081)
Just to cheer you up. (not)

http://w3.newsmax.com/a/aftershockb/...mo_code=F354-1

You may want to get on the first boat out of America.

Cheers

Are this the lot that used to stand about on street corners with a sandwich board that said "the end is nigh"

sallysimmons Jul 5th 2012 10:07 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10156957)
Are this the lot that used to stand about on street corners with a sandwich board that said "the end is nigh"

Bingo. Newsmax is just a bunch of birthers and Glenn Beck fans stocking up on gold bars to save themselves from the end of the world.

cheers Jul 5th 2012 11:03 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10156957)
Are this the lot that used to stand about on street corners with a sandwich board that said "the end is nigh"

I don't know where that came from.

This film I watched as I passed in front of the TV. It makes you think.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/bowling-for-columbine/

cheers Jul 5th 2012 11:03 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
Where is Bea????

cheers Jul 7th 2012 4:25 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
Raining and flooding all over the UK, right? So why is it when I look at the webcam of Abbey Road in London is it always as dry as a bone??

and further more why is the UK stealing all the rain when we need it here:D

Cheers

Mummy in the foothills Jul 7th 2012 5:06 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10159914)
Raining and flooding all over the UK, right? So why is it when I look at the webcam of Abbey Road in London is it always as dry as a bone??

and further more why is the UK stealing all the rain when we need it here:D

Cheers

:lol: True, I keep looking to see whats happening weather wise where my kids are and low an behold it's dry each time :lol: I just asked my son about the rain and he said it's not bad, on and off rain so far.

dontheturner Jul 7th 2012 5:35 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10159914)
Raining and flooding all over the UK, right? So why is it when I look at the webcam of Abbey Road in London is it always as dry as a bone??

and further more why is the UK stealing all the rain when we need it here:D

Cheers

Aerial Shots were taken while I was in the UK. They are several years old. All our rain is coming from your side of the pond. Please turn off the geyser! Don

islandwoman120 Jul 7th 2012 8:10 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10159996)
All our rain is coming from your side of the pond. Please turn off the geyser! Don

:):):)

islandwoman120 Jul 7th 2012 11:55 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
BBC news about Devon flooding etc. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18750430

islandwoman120 Jul 11th 2012 7:37 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
New photos - flowers in the gardens here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7630531744488/

Derrygal Jul 12th 2012 3:26 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10167101)
New photos - flowers in the gardens here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7630531744488/

Lovely pictures Rosie. The best gardens in the world are in England - probably because of the climate. I especially love the hydrangeas and roses. They are harder to grow here because of the extreme temperatures - very hot summers and cold winters. I must admit, I miss my English garden. I used to have beautiful roses.

feelbritish Jul 12th 2012 3:56 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
Despite the rain, the flowers are wonderful! Nice photos. I have created an English garden here in my home on beach sand, same flowers but I am now running around with the sprinkler twice of week to get them to stay flowering at their peak. Nothing like an English garden :)

Mummy in the foothills Jul 12th 2012 5:35 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10167830)
Despite the rain, the flowers are wonderful! Nice photos. I have created an English garden here in my home on beach sand, same flowers but I am now running around with the sprinkler twice of week to get them to stay flowering at their peak. Nothing like an English garden :)

Twice a week, you are lucky. here we have to water twice a day.
I agree the pictures are lovely. When I clicked the link the colours just pop right out.

Celticspirit Jul 12th 2012 5:50 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
You are lucky to be able to water twice a day. If we water more than twice a week we get a fine of $2,000

feelbritish Jul 12th 2012 6:37 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10167960)
Twice a week, you are lucky. here we have to water twice a day.
I agree the pictures are lovely. When I clicked the link the colours just pop right out.

Despite having more water and lakes than anywhere else in the world we are restricted to twice a week! Between 7pm and 10pm!

Bevm Jul 12th 2012 12:42 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 10167797)
Lovely pictures Rosie. The best gardens in the world are in England - probably because of the climate. I especially love the hydrangeas and roses. They are harder to grow here because of the extreme temperatures - very hot summers and cold winters. I must admit, I miss my English garden. I used to have beautiful roses.

There are roses bred in Ontario that survive very cold winters. I believe they're called the Explorer line and named after various explorers. Try them. I had one in Ottawa that did okay with a bit of winter protection.

Bev

lf1 Jul 12th 2012 3:12 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 10168551)
There are roses bred in Ontario that survive very cold winters. I believe they're called the Explorer line and named after various explorers. Try them. I had one in Ottawa that did okay with a bit of winter protection.

Bev

Great suggestion. I have the both Explorer and Pavement Series in my garden in Calgary. They repeat bloom throughout the season and are very low maintenance.

Mummy in the foothills Jul 12th 2012 4:28 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10167988)
You are lucky to be able to water twice a day. If we water more than twice a week we get a fine of $2,000

Shhh no one knows, but no a chance in hell I'm letting all the trees die when we are wanting to sell this place, so everything is one drippers and a crop of trees down the lot is watered by the washing machine, so they get tons of water.:lol:

Mummy in the foothills Jul 12th 2012 4:30 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10168035)
Despite having more water and lakes than anywhere else in the world we are restricted to twice a week! Between 7pm and 10pm!

Thats crazy, everything would die here on twice a week watering. Our friend got hers down to every other day but by the end of summer, her house was starting to look abandoned with the wilting and dried out vegetation.

jasper123 Jul 13th 2012 12:42 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10168927)
Thats crazy, everything would die here on twice a week watering. Our friend got hers down to every other day but by the end of summer, her house was starting to look abandoned with the wilting and dried out vegetation.

The three major water companies here has just canceled there hose pipe watering ban ----- after about three whole months of almost continuous rain,
but I dont think anyone will need to water there garden for a very long time to come as this relentless rain seems to have no end in site ----- according to the TV weather people :eek:
And for someone ---- me who has often said I love the rain, bring it on!!!!!
well I really didn't mean every freaking day :eek: :thumbdown: :ohmy:
I would absolutely love to see the Sun for a whole hour just every so often ---- that would really be something Huh!!!
But all I can do to cheer myself up a little is to google St Lucia and I can look at the balmy beaches and lovely sun and just pretend for a while that Im living there like one of those filthy rich people happily sipping my tropical drink ------- you know with the little umbrellas sticking out ;) :thumbup:

sallysimmons Jul 13th 2012 7:26 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
Up here we keep having a few sunny days in between the rain. Yesterday and the day before were glorious. Last night after work we went up into the Yorkshire Dales for a drive around, a bit of a walk and a pub meal in Grassington. The sky was that lovely pale blue with little fluffy white clouds, and on the way back we got an amazing sunset.

I find those days are enough to keep me going through the gray (which is back again today by the way!). My strategy is that I take loads of photos while we're out - and we always go out when it's nice - and then on the bad days I paint what we saw. That way I don't mind the rain because I'm engrossed in what I'm doing :)

lf1 Jul 13th 2012 1:55 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10169770)
Up here we keep having a few sunny days in between the rain. Yesterday and the day before were glorious. Last night after work we went up into the Yorkshire Dales for a drive around, a bit of a walk and a pub meal in Grassington. The sky was that lovely pale blue with little fluffy white clouds, and on the way back we got an amazing sunset.

I find those days are enough to keep me going through the gray (which is back again today by the way!). My strategy is that I take loads of photos while we're out - and we always go out when it's nice - and then on the bad days I paint what we saw. That way I don't mind the rain because I'm engrossed in what I'm doing :)

What happened to Maggie Smith?:lol:

Mummy in the foothills Jul 13th 2012 3:25 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10170105)
What happened to Maggie Smith?:lol:

:lol: I used to imagine she actually looked like Maggie Smith and spoke like Professor McGonagall. :confused:
Rodney go somewhere and order yourself a drink in a cocoanut with a little umbrella in, I bet that would make you feel better.
My Ds has only had a couple of rain free days since he got to UK. Dh said sell his bed quick so he can't come back, it's trial by water instead of fire. Good job he's an excellent swimmer. :D

Homeiswheretheheartis Jul 13th 2012 4:11 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
Just been on hols to the UK for 3 weeks, and it rained nearly everyday. But it didn't bother me.

I like weekends when it pours down, you know your not going out, stay in your jim jams and watch trash on TV:-)

Pombat Jul 13th 2012 4:12 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10170245)
:lol: I used to imagine she actually looked like Maggie Smith and spoke like Professor McGonagall.

:rofl:

feelbritish Jul 13th 2012 4:15 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
I used to look for posts by "Maggie" - Sherlock? Lets have it for the return of "Maggie":rofl:

sallysimmons Jul 13th 2012 6:02 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
Alas "Maggie" is dead. Long live Sherlock! :lol:

mikelincs Jul 13th 2012 6:06 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10170537)
Alas "Maggie" is dead. Long live Sherlock! :lol:

She'a also not in the next series of Downton Abbey but then again, neither is Sherlock

lf1 Jul 13th 2012 6:41 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10170545)
She'a also not in the next series of Downton Abbey but then again, neither is Sherlock

Say it isn't so:(

mikelincs Jul 13th 2012 7:03 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10170620)
Say it isn't so:(

Apparently she will not be in the next series, however Shirley MacLaine will be joining the cast.

Lorac05 Jul 13th 2012 7:08 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10170658)
Apparently she will not be in the next series, however Shirley MacLaine will be joining the cast.

I was under the impression that was just a rumour that had neither been confirmed or denied. In fact the following story appears to confirm she is in series 3:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...difficult.html


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:19 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.