Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Sentosa
Looks like we will be home by spring.
Had offer on the house after only 4 weeks on the market
Now I need to find a home for my cat, just can't bring her home
Wow fantastic news, well done!!

If you are in the Sydney area a poster on MBTTUK has a cat shelter of some kind........let me know and I will find her for you.......
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:46 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I LOVED the Royle Family Christmas special. I think that might have been the best episode ever. Poor Joe when they told him Mary was in the Dyson!

I downloaded Upstairs Downstairs, which started last night but haven't seen it yet.

I'm envying your hot weather as hubby and I are about to go out and tackle phase 2 of our drive clearing operation after we had 15 inches of snow. UGH! Where's my shovel? ...
Oh yes so funny Mary in the Dyson, but I hadn't even realised Mary had died until then !!

The weather now is quite cool, but Christmas Day and Boxing Day were WAY too hot, lots of flies , much too hot to eat and enjoy your food, I wouldn't mind a wee bit of snow right now!!
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:49 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I wouldn't mind a wee bit of snow right now!!
Yes, but there's a 'wee bit' and then there's 16 inches. Oh well, at least I burned a lot of calories today
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:52 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by windsong
Hi Bee - Glad you got to watch all that British TV I watched Corrie St and got up to date with the Tracy Barlow situation. I was so grateful it ran on Christmas Day. That was a really nice surprise for me.

Today is only the second day after Christmas and in the U.S. it's already all over

I am feeling a little better today. I could do with another day off before returning to work tomorrow but I will be okay. I only work three days this week as we are off again on Friday.

I was going to ask how you got mosquito bites in December but I forgot you are "down under" lol!
Yes I got a surprise that Corrie was on on Christmas Day. My son was on Skype on Christmas Eve and mentioned that he had never watched an episode in his life until he stayed with my sister where everybody watches LOL!! Here in Australia I suppose he would go outside if he didn't want to watch TV, there in the UK he probably didn't want to go out and shovel snow!!

Oh yes, this one particular mozzie attacked me when I was asleep. It must have got caught up in my pj top as it has bitten all under one arm and down my back, very sore the little blighter!! I won't miss mozzies and flies that's for sure!!

Hope you are feeling much better. I could have worked yesterday for extra pay but decided to give myself a 4 day break from air conditioning as I keep getting flu over and over....
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:57 pm
Home Sweet Home

No Windsong, it's not about the Queen - we have been discussing it for the last few weeks. It's a comedy about a working class British family up north.

Here's the Xmas special on Youtube:

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSbNz_BngHc
Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8L3ZRlGdfk
Part Three:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OumsytEHRw
Part Four: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWTOxfS92Ns

Upstairs Downstairs started last night and runs for 3 nights.

Anyone heard from Fish n Chips recently? He's awfully quiet. I hope everything is OK.

He was going to stay with his sister for Christmas and they don't have t'Internet.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:59 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by DDL
Correct, but you generally won't find a high quality pekoe in teabag tea. Companies like Mighty Leaf, Harney and others are, however, producing some very high quality teabags that contain whole leaf tea.

The interesting thing is, though (and research supports this) ... people of the UK are just so attuned to the taste of their tea (PG, etc) the way it is, that even if it meant higher quality, they wouldn't want it. They expect a certain taste in their tea, and they don't want any changes.

The 'younger generation' appear to be much more open to experimentation and trying new teas (flavoured, fruit, etc.) than the 'older generation' who are more than satisfied with the same old bold, strong black tea - usually with milk. There are a number of up and coming British tea companies who are run by young people and who are really pushing the tea envelope.
What tea do you drink Denise?

I found it a wee bit hard to find "my" preferred tea in the UK as I have lived here so long. When I am in the money I drink Twining's English or Irish Breakfast tea, but at the moment I am drinking Dilmah which is from Ceylon. Is there a Brit equivalent as I found PG tips, etc a bit strong for my palate.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sentosa
Looks like we will be home by spring.
Had offer on the house after only 4 weeks on the market
Now I need to find a home for my cat, just can't bring her home
Sentosa, why can't you take her with you? She looks upon you as her mama.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Sentosa, why can't you take her with you? She looks upon you as her mama.
OHOH..not looking good for the 3 suitcase senario......How many did Rodney take???..lol
Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sallysimmons.....The snow is bad enough but the winds are horrendous almost blow you over. Makes it so much colder and when you are clearing the driveway it just makes it harder. Not enjoying this.

DDL and JJ...Thanks for the information on tea I pop down to the British store in Peabody and get my tea its quite a bit cheaper than Amazon. I did try Punja tea but when your not use to such strong tea its a bit overwhelming. I got that make from Christmas Tree shops but dont much care for it.

Charleygirl...Hows the storm treating you. Do you have the high winds we are having you must have unless you moved over Christmas.
Haha Trotty well thought about driving off but as you have experienced my driving first hand have decided to stay put in the storm, not been out side though.........Paul did the drive and back deck so dog can get out, but OMG the wind.........scary.

Thanks for all the tea info, have struggled for years to enjoy a cuppa here, become a very big coffee drinker since we moved......but when i am home in UK back to tea.
Fish is with family for 10 days.........so I reckon he wont be back til after NY. or close too.
JJ how was christmas for you back home,.......not jealous or anything of course!
Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:29 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
OHOH..not looking good for the 3 suitcase senario......How many did Rodney take???..lol
I think he had 4 and he is a man, so that means as a woman you will have about 10!!
Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I think he had 4 and he is a man, so that means as a woman you will have about 10!!
I already filled 2, and havent even opened my closet yet..this could get expensive...
Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:51 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I already filled 2, and havent even opened my closet yet..this could get expensive...
Not long now Jackie!!! Are you nervous? Excited? Happy? Scared? Does your daughter have any plan to move with you any time in the future or is she too "American?"

I got the collywobbles on Christmas Day looking at the family etc. And you know you get those Christmas "sentimental" feelings. I had to go off for a wee while and compose myself. They gave me a really beautiful silver necklace as my daughter said she wanted to give me something to remember them by, as if I could ever forget!!! So that started off the waterworks again.....

Hope you are doing better!!! Less than 5 weeks to go for you, then I think Don will be another 3 weeks behind you, then I am a week after him!! Less than 9 weeks for me!!!!
Old Dec 27th 2010, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by J.J
sally; Fish said that he would be off line for a week or so over Christmas, gone off some where for the holidays.

Dontheturne: sorry to hear your palms failed after not wrapping them for the winter; make a note, Cordyline Australis are the most hardy and generally do not need wrapping if not in exposed position. The are many in this region, people buy them initially because they are attractive spiky shrub but they do mature up to 10m tall
Hi J.J. Most people in the UK, buy them as small plants in pots, while on holiday in the Torbay area, where the streets are lined with whatever variety they are, and of course, I wouldn't be able to advise anyone, where to buy other varieties, which as you refer to, may be hardier. I and most of my family, will not buy them now, for that reason. Even garages, in Torquay sell them, at the side of the road. (I would think, any you may see in gardens, in the UK, are probably bought when on holiday there.) dontheturner
Old Dec 28th 2010, 1:15 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Jackie,

Off the subject!
Anyone else notice how slow the internet is today?

Cheers
Hey Cheers. It doesn't work that way. The Internet isn't slow for everyone at the same time. It's a series of lots of different connections, and they're different for every one of us. Think of it like roads all leading to a major city. You take one road and hit no traffic, but I choose a different route and there's an accident and suddenly I'm slowed down.

That's what's happened to your Internet connection today - but none of us share the same connection so none of us have a slow down.

If you ever experience a real slow Internet connection, the best thing is to reboot your modem or router. When you turn it on again, it might take a different route and you'll find it is faster again. Or just wait and the broken server will be fixed, wherever it is.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Cheers. It doesn't work that way. The Internet isn't slow for everyone at the same time. It's a series of lots of different connections, and they're different for every one of us. Think of it like roads all leading to a major city. You take one road and hit no traffic, but I choose a different route and there's an accident and suddenly I'm slowed down.

That's what's happened to your Internet connection today - but none of us share the same connection so none of us have a slow down.

If you ever experience a real slow Internet connection, the best thing is to reboot your modem or router. When you turn it on again, it might take a different route and you'll find it is faster again. Or just wait and the broken server will be fixed, wherever it is.
Thank you for that.
I talked to the provider just now and he had me disconnect the modem and reconnect and now all is well. Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.