Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 7th 2012, 9:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Editha
Personally, I do feel sorry for them. They are just trying to support themselves and their families in difficult circumstances. They've had a harder row to hoe than I've ever had.
Ain't that the truth. There but for the grace of [insert chosen deity] go we all.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 10:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps Pauline could explain which people she is referring to, when she says "they can hardly whine and want us to feel sorry for them".

The illegal immigrants from the Indian sub-continent in the clip had been filmed secretly, and without their knowledge, so they weren't asking for anyone's sympathy.

Personally, I do feel sorry for them. They are just trying to support themselves and their families in difficult circumstances. They've had a harder row to hoe than I've ever had.

I'm also baffled why so many people on this forum seem to delight in exhibiting their own mean-spirit and selfishness for a wider audience. Surely, that's what the comment columns on the Daily Mail are for?
Bee didn't say we should feel sorry for them, I have seen some BBC news clips about them living in sheds and garages no electric and no running water etc.
The way these reports are presented seems to want us to feel like we should feel bad enough to give them what they came to UK (Or US) for, they come cause they think they can get a better life, well illegally they can't and to get that better life they'd have to be legal. Neither country can reward the law breaking by giving them legal leave to stay, there are way too many people trying the legal way and still not making it to those places.
Illegal immigration pisses me off. I'm not talking about farm workers here in California either, they are the ones that people assume are illegal here, they are legal, they come on special visas, and there are even housing areas they move into while working in that area if they want to (there are some about 30 mins from us, rows of bungalows with a playground and parking areas)
If they only move to the UK for a safe life from war torn areas, then they would stop and ask for asylum in the first safe country they get to, but they make a bee line for UK, they think that it's a soft touch and they can get away with more there.
Sorry you think we are such horrible people for not wanting people to be illegal and live in hardship in a foreign land, but I welcome immigrants, I am one, but it has to be done legally.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 7:05 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps Pauline could explain which people she is referring to, when she says "they can hardly whine and want us to feel sorry for them".

The illegal immigrants from the Indian sub-continent in the clip had been filmed secretly, and without their knowledge, so they weren't asking for anyone's sympathy.

I'm also baffled why so many people on this forum seem to delight in exhibiting their own mean-spirit and selfishness for a wider audience. Surely, that's what the comment columns on the Daily Mail are for?
Please don't assume you know anything about me, I am neither mean spirited or selfish.

I was just pointing out 2 VERY different sets of circumstances.

What is your opinion of the people BORN in the USA, people who have every right to live there in their own country, ending up in tents because of flooding?

Can you not see there is a huge difference between the 2?
Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Bee, I know you didn't mean anything harsh by it and I totally got what you meant.

But to mummy's point, illegal immigration doesn't piss me off for the reasons Edith gave - I know that I am very lucky to have the life I have, and I know that if I was born into abject, hopeless poverty somewhere else, I would have done whatever it took to make a better life for myself and my family. Wouldn't we all? We're exactly the kind of people who don't sit back and accept our lot, but strive for something else. Yes we did it legally, but we're lucky that legal avenues were open to us. Imagine if they weren't and you and your family was hungry, and when you looked into the future all you saw for your kids was the same crappy life that you have. And then imagine that you could enter another country illegally, work your ass off in a manual job, and make enough money to give them a slightly better chance in life. Wouldn't you do it?

I don't believe that most immigrants enter Britain (or America) to scrounge, no matter what the Daily Mail says. They've usually left their loved ones behind and they've come to try and earn some money - money we are more than happy to pay them here in the US to mow our lawns and fix our roofs.

For those poor guys in the sheds, the recession just hit at the wrong time and now they're miles from home with no money and no home in a place that doesn't want them. I can't help but feel sorry for them.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 3:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Bee, I know you didn't mean anything harsh by it and I totally got what you meant.

But to mummy's point, illegal immigration doesn't piss me off for the reasons Edith gave - I know that I am very lucky to have the life I have, and I know that if I was born into abject, hopeless poverty somewhere else, I would have done whatever it took to make a better life for myself and my family. Wouldn't we all? We're exactly the kind of people who don't sit back and accept our lot, but strive for something else. Yes we did it legally, but we're lucky that legal avenues were open to us. Imagine if they weren't and you and your family was hungry, and when you looked into the future all you saw for your kids was the same crappy life that you have. And then imagine that you could enter another country illegally, work your ass off in a manual job, and make enough money to give them a slightly better chance in life. Wouldn't you do it?

I don't believe that most immigrants enter Britain (or America) to scrounge, no matter what the Daily Mail says. They've usually left their loved ones behind and they've come to try and earn some money - money we are more than happy to pay them here in the US to mow our lawns and fix our roofs.

For those poor guys in the sheds, the recession just hit at the wrong time and now they're miles from home with no money and no home in a place that doesn't want them. I can't help but feel sorry for them.
But they don't get a better life it seems. As illegals, they are abused, ripped off, attacked, killed, whatever you can think of.
They switch one miserable poor life for another that is in a place they don't know and without the family around them.
They pay out many months/years worth of wages to get someone to smuggle them into the US, money that could be used to support the family at home and they do it with no guarantee of even arriving in the US.
Most don't mow lawns and do laundry for rich Americans, they live in shacks with no money and no food, and stand at the corner in well know place in many cities hoping to get picked for some manual labor and paid barely enough to keep themselves going let alone send money home.
They are fed a bunch of lies by the smugglers that take their money, they think they are going to live in a nice place and have a good job and send money home. Luckily for the ones in the US they have been able to go home in droves since the economy tanked. Sadly the ones in the UK are more stranded, it's harder to get off an island and across multiple countries to return home.
I feel sorry for them buying onto the crap they are told, but they only hear what they want. I'm sure there are plenty of them who have moved back to their home country and told how it really is.
It's sort of like the people who think moving to the US or OZ legally will have a better life cause it's sunny, moving for the lifestyle, or the Prawns, they don't want to hear what normal life is really like.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 4:25 pm
Finally Home!

See, I just don't think it is the same. I think there's a world of difference between leaving one comfortable life for another one you imagine will be better, and leaving a lifetime of hopeless squalor in the hopes of maybe making life better for your family. But this is one of those topics that we all know how we feel about, and we won't change our minds, so it's probably best to leave it.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 4:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
See, I just don't think it is the same. I think there's a world of difference between leaving one comfortable life for another one you imagine will be better, and leaving a lifetime of hopeless squalor in the hopes of maybe making life better for your family. But this is one of those topics that we all know how we feel about, and we won't change our minds, so it's probably best to leave it.
True. If we all agreed on everything what a boring life that would be.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone watch CBS 60 minutes tonight? It was a good one.
European debt
Polo sport
Orchestra and Chorus in the Congo
Cheers
Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Explain this to me

The US borrows money from China OK? The US uses a good part of that money for its military. Are you with me? Now I see that 200 US marines have arrived in Darwin, Australian and they are there as a deterant to the Chinese presents in that area???

http://rthk.hk/rthk/news/englishnews..._56_831038.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...8.html#s841562

Last edited by cheers; Apr 9th 2012 at 2:12 am.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
But they don't get a better life it seems. As illegals, they are abused, ripped off, attacked, killed, whatever you can think of.
They switch one miserable poor life for another that is in a place they don't know and without the family around them.
They pay out many months/years worth of wages to get someone to smuggle them into the US, money that could be used to support the family at home and they do it with no guarantee of even arriving in the US.
Most don't mow lawns and do laundry for rich Americans, they live in shacks with no money and no food, and stand at the corner in well know place in many cities hoping to get picked for some manual labor and paid barely enough to keep themselves going let alone send money home.
They are fed a bunch of lies by the smugglers that take their money, they think they are going to live in a nice place and have a good job and send money home. Luckily for the ones in the US they have been able to go home in droves since the economy tanked. Sadly the ones in the UK are more stranded, it's harder to get off an island and across multiple countries to return home.
I feel sorry for them buying onto the crap they are told, but they only hear what they want. I'm sure there are plenty of them who have moved back to their home country and told how it really is.
It's sort of like the people who think moving to the US or OZ legally will have a better life cause it's sunny, moving for the lifestyle, or the Prawns, they don't want to hear what normal life is really like.
You raise some good points MITF. I feel the same way. When people bring up how many immigrants are willing to work at menial jobs, I wonder how many of those are working those jobs because they are in the country illegally. Certainly illegal immigrants often have to work undercover at menial work.

Mean-spirited Editha? You mean like this post?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...ostcount=11582
Old Apr 9th 2012, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bandrui
You raise some good points MITF. I feel the same way. When people bring up how many immigrants are willing to work at menial jobs, I wonder how many of those are working those jobs because they are in the country illegally. Certainly illegal immigrants often have to work undercover at menial work.

Mean-spirited Editha? You mean like this post?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...ostcount=11582
Old Apr 9th 2012, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

OK folks, I need some advice if you are able to help me. I found a senior's place in Dawlish, Devon - Sefton Court, managed by Peverell. I have asked Bee for her input, but she has not yet responded - so anyone else, please feel free to let me know your thoughts. I will be going to view tomorrow, Tuesday. Thanks.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 11:53 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
OK folks, I need some advice if you are able to help me. I found a senior's place in Dawlish, Devon - Sefton Court, managed by Peverell. I have asked Bee for her input, but she has not yet responded - so anyone else, please feel free to let me know your thoughts. I will be going to view tomorrow, Tuesday. Thanks.
I know the location. It is close to town, but up a hill, as nearly everything is in Dawlish, if that's a factor. We're higher up and walk into town but take the bus back up. It's not a very steep hill, however. On the other side of town, some are scary.

As long as a bit of a slope isn't a deterrent, it would be convenient for going into town, including the train station, and the bus that goes between Exeter and Newton Abbott. It's also pretty easy to get to the doctors. Don't know anything about the actual place, though.

Bev
Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, here is the link - I got the impression it is a rented property place: http://www.housingcare.org/housing-c...h-england.aspx

When I called, I was put through to Peverell at Axminster, and they are the lettings agents for this property. It is upmarket from the normal Housing 21 properties (their wording, not mine). So I am dealing with the site manager, plus Peverell offices. Tomorrow will tell the story .... will write more when I know.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 9th 2012 at 7:38 pm. Reason: Removing quote at OPs request
Old Apr 9th 2012, 5:05 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Peverel are a very large property management company. They don't have an unblemished reputation. I suggest you read this article from The Guardian last year:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...nant-rebellion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.