Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

ehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant future
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
YUM! I remember these, but not American style. Thicker pancakes in the UK were called drop scones or girdle/griddle?? cakes weren't they?

In my dotage I have resorted to using a wide necked bottle and chucking the ingredients in,-then shaking it to hell! I got a good result!

I hope your pancakes are good Jasper123! If you get no aftertaste, then they are fairly free of any additives. Hope you enjoy them!

Isn't it funny how we have some home preferences, and some preference from the country where we are/were?

We have Vegemite here-I now find Marmite bland by comparison. I miss English cheeses though, we pay a motsa for them here.
Custard Tarts Mmmm
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ehl250
Custard Tarts Mmmm
Knock it off!!!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I'm limited as to what I can eat.
Can you believe they don't want me to eat fruit except berries? So strawberries are becoming available so I bought a pound today ($2.50 plus 3% tax)
I weighed myself this morning and I was at the lowest weight in about 5 years but after today I think I will be up a bit. I'm 185lbs @ 6' tall.
Tonight was peas, rice (not good), mushrooms, a very little ham and soy sauce and salad and I feel heavy. (sugar is at 161<7:30pm and was at 99 this morning)

I like all the suggestions but I know the doctor won't allow them. I do like the granola one and I'm sure that's off the list.
I need to do something drastic because they want to start me on insulin.
On the pancakes. You can't beat the Shrove Tuesday pancakes with lemon and powdered sugar on them. I think they call them crepes in the colonies. Anyway I think I could eat them all day long.
see here
https://www.google.com/search?q=crep...iw=999&bih=540

Darn missed it, it was last week.

Cheers
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Eat it with? Eat it with a spoon - even better, some nice PLAIN digestive biscuits, I think. Don.
I wish! They would hang me (or put me on insulin) if I even think of biscuits although I would think they are low on sugar.

Cheers
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Can you believe they don't want me to eat fruit except berries? So strawberries are becoming available so I bought a pound today ($2.50 plus 3% tax)
I weighed myself this morning and I was at the lowest weight in about 5 years but after today I think I will be up a bit. I'm 185lbs @ 6' tall.
Tonight was peas, rice (not good), mushrooms, a very little ham and soy sauce and salad and I feel heavy. (sugar is at 161<7:30pm and was at 99 this morning)

I like all the suggestions but I know the doctor won't allow them. I do like the granola one and I'm sure that's off the list.
On the pancakes. You can't beat the Shrove Tuesday pancakes with lemon and powdered sugar on them. I think they call them crepes in the colonies. Anyway I think I could eat them all day long.
see here

Cheers
Bad luck with the dietary thing,-me too. I'm missing half my guts, and can't eat any raw foods now, or high fibre. No green veg ever!. I've had to learn to embrace the virtues of the 'yellows': carrots/pumpkin-and can have spuds but always peeled.
White bread only etc.,

I have the ...er, important bit. I thought I would end up s......g bricks, but have actually ..er, improved the situation.

Every cloud......I can have CHOCOLATE! Life still has meaning heh! heh!

Crepes in France (and I believe these are even thinner), and pancakes in Brit. I love them too, they are magical with lemon juice and I believe ordinary sugar or caster sugar is used in the UK. The crunch of it with the pancake texture is luverly!
(I once cooked these in my garden, and got my guest to pick apples straight from my trees which I sautéed in butter to go in the pancakes. He was mightily impressed-which is what I was after ).

Custard tarts YES! Bakewell tart-remember that? (Cheese and onion pie), Battenburg cake...., walnut whips.

And Mr Kipling who used to make exceedingly good cakes?

(All the best with the health thing Cheers )
Old Feb 24th 2012, 5:50 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I wish! They would hang me (or put me on insulin) if I even think of biscuits although I would think they are low on sugar.

Cheers
You should look at the ATKINS diet which I am on now, not saying you should do the whole thing but seriously cut out carbs which includes yogurt and most fruits, I bought a book written by a respected science writer about a month ago and it was a serious eye opener about the Western diet.

And before anybody has a go at me at how BAD and DANGEROUS Atkins is, read the 361 customer reviews for this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat...0065906&sr=8-1

If something is scientifically proven, then it can't by default be wrong. What is wrong is that we have been brainwashed by various governments and so called dieting experts for years!! Food pyramids pah!!

Anyway off me soapbox now, but once you read this stuff you can't forget it......
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
You should look at the ATKINS diet which I am on now, not saying you should do the whole thing but seriously cut out carbs which includes yogurt and most fruits, I bought a book written by a respected science writer about a month ago and it was a serious eye opener about the Western diet.

And before anybody has a go at me at how BAD and DANGEROUS Atkins is, read the 361 customer reviews for this book:

If something is scientifically proven, then it can't by default be wrong. What is wrong is that we have been brainwashed by various governments and so called dieting experts for years!! Food pyramids pah!!

Anyway off me soapbox now, but once you read this stuff you can't forget it......
I went and had a look at Gary Taube's book after your post Bd.
My view is this;-they don't know what causes obesity. Experts have blamed sugar, then fat, then carbs. They'll start blaming one or 'tuther again as time goes on.

One thing's for damn sure;-if you go up against mainstream thought, you'll get torn to shreds!

I studied diet and nutrition in the late 60's early 70's. Conventional thinking at that time (and now) is that high fibre is necessary for health. I believed that. I now have no choice but to go on low fibre. Every time I default, I end up back in hospital with a blocked intestine.

I just don't want to go through that agony again so I capitulated with the fear that now I would block because of a low fibre diet. I firmly believed in high fibre being necessary for good intestinal health.

It has turned out to be a crock. I'm astonished that things are quite literally running smoothly,-and I've lost half a stone. Frankly that makes no sense. Low fibre-means in many cases higher fat foods. White bread, and all the general no no's are in. Blood pressure is normal-and my massively high cholesterol (I refused to take a Statin)-is reducing.

Would this work for others? I don't know. Maybe; maybe not. Here's another that goes against the mainstream; when researching absorption during that period of study, we came to the conclusion that eating carbs and protein together was a bad idea.

That came to be known as food combining - something that was/is roundly condemned. When I had a full set of pipes I decided to try it again. I lost weight quite quickly; I was amazed!

A nutritionist (I think!) Zoe Harcombe (UK) has a lot to say about nutritional myths. Like Taube she's been attacked for her views.

They don't know. Each of us has to use advice from various sources, and go with our natural instinct about what's best for us.

One thing's certain,-the principle used by the medical profession and by Government of 'for the common good' is a damned nuisance. It has it's place, but both groups know full well that the common good is not good for some. They officially see that as an expendable.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Well done...how is it going BTW?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 11:40 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Well done...how is it going BTW?
9lbs in 3 weeks and never hungry, can't be bad. I will get my bp checked in the next few weeks, hopefully it will have made a difference there too.

BUT BUT BUT onto other matters young lady, how many days to go now? 5 maybe?? You must all be sooooo excited.

Don't forget to update Flight Tracker so we all watch your progress into Heathrow. xxx
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers
Hi Cheers....haven't posted here in quite awhile and thought I would share with you what my doc told me back in November, while discussing my diabetes type II with me. The "4 Whites"......NONE in a diabetics diet. The "4 Whites" is a little simplistic but very important for the diabetic....nothing made with white flour, nothing with white sugar, no white rice, no white potatoe. So...what does that leave us...well actually quite a bit. 100% Whole Wheat, 100% Rye..(just don't eat the whole loaf in one sitting.., brown rice, use Splenda (my favorite), sweet potatoes. Now she did tell me to go ahead and eat plenty of meat if I'm a mind too. Much like what Bee is saying. Just try and stay away from fatty meats.
I was on the diabetes medicine for awhile and it was really affecting me adversely...so my doc and I made a deal. Follow the diabetic diet, lose weight, and we'll go from there. I see my doc next week, the AC1 test will then reveal if I've been a good or bad girl. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Cheers, wishing you all the very best...and I so feel your pain. I had to give up my favorites....pastries!!! But I found Eskimo Sugarless Pies (dark chocolate) to be delish!! Low calories too! But of course only 1 a day, to satisfy those sweet cravings.
Hang in there!!

Chris
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

9lbs in 3 weeks and never hungry, can't be bad. I will get my bp checked in the next few weeks, hopefully it will have made a difference there too.

BUT BUT BUT onto other matters young lady, how many days to go now? 5 maybe?? You must all be sooooo excited.

Don't forget to update Flight Tracker so we all watch your progress into Heathrow. xxx
lol...we are ...I can't quite believe it.

I can't quite grasp I will be able to walk in to my Parents home, and smell the Persil in the utility room! I honestly thought I'd never see much of my family ever again!

I'll do the flight tracker later...promise

Oh, and thats great about the 9lbs ...almost a stone!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:49 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Bee!

Atkins isn't for me since I won't eat meat. But on a wholewheat, vegetarian diet I have low blood pressure and good cholesterol.

Now if only I could find a way to give up wine and chocolate, I'd be quids in!

I lost 30 lbs on Weightwatchers 3 years ago, but have gained 12 lbs back which really annoys me. When we know something works, why do we not stick to it??
Old Feb 24th 2012, 3:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

see here

Cheers
I hadn't realized you are restricted on your diet due to diabetes.
Have you looked at http://www.diabetes.org/ they have a news and research section and a Food and fitness section.
I used to use both those sections to give info to my patients without the internet.
Have you tried putting a packet of splenda into the yogurt and some berries that would taste better, but watch the artificail sweeteners, they can also play havoc with your blood sugar, not exactly sure why but I did have a patient who I convinced to stop using so much (she got down to one packet a day or so) and her BS even out so much she no longer needed a banana in the night for low bs.

We as a family are moving towards cutting all refined carbs, so far we are onto 100% whole grain breads and cereals, I'm still working on the pasta and rice trying to get them onto whole grain and sugar we moved to a less refined one. slow but steady.
I'm making our own granola now so it doesn't have sugar in it, we are using honey and olive oil to make it along with cranberries, raisins and walnuts.
I wasn't too popular with my friends when I increased the fibre in our diet But I think our bodies are adjusting. I made some split pea Lentil soup last night, that was tasty but I paid for it (well Dh paid for it overnight)
Old Feb 24th 2012, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

I'm making our own granola now so it doesn't have sugar in it, we are using honey and olive oil to make it along with cranberries, raisins and walnuts.
I wasn't too popular with my friends when I increased the fibre in our diet But I think our bodies are adjusting. I made some split pea Lentil soup last night, that was tasty but I paid for it (well Dh paid for it overnight)
My weight is good this morning and my sugar climmed a little but is very good.
I did as someone mentioned and had the strawberries with the (sour) yogurt and it was good.
Now Mummy when are you going to start your mail order business with the granola? I love that stuff, so you know it is bad for me. I had some as a sample at Costco yesterday and I'm going back today to try and find it as it was so good and a little bit goes a long way. Note. the thing about Costco is every item seems to be $6 plus which is too much.
Sprinkling yogurt with granola, isn't that what they serve at McDonalds? Nothing wrong with that.
On bread I was told that the whole wheat bread is white bread that has molasses or something added to make it brown????
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sally, I was reading on UKYankee that people are paying $2-3000 for shipping their 'tabbies' to the UK. Is that the current rate?

I also read that Cunard is running a ship every week now from New York so I'm wondering if the ships are making a come back?

You can see my thinking on these two items. Sailing could be cheaper for some people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.