Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

A little ditty - substitute any northern area you care to:

LEAVING WISCONSIN
It’s springtime in Wisconsin where the gentle breezes blow
About 70 miles per hour and it’s 53 below.

It’s springtime in Wisconsin where the snow’s up to your butt,
And you take a breath of springtime air and your nostrils both freeze shut.

It’s lovely in Wisconsin so I think I’ll hang around.
I could never leave Wisconsin - my feet are frozen to the ground.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future
Unhappy Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by bandrui
Yes, definitely colder on the East Coast than the UK but West Coast has a much milder climate. Even when I lived in Alberta and experienced those -40 temps, it didn't feel as bad as the damp cold of the UK.

Where was your Canadian friend from Aries? Sounds like West Coast like me.
Oops i am beginning to think i have made a big mistake going back in december.
Can anyone recommend any types or brands of warm cloths i could purchase before leaving please?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:41 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
If there was a poll I would be on the colder in the UK side I think. That damp cold down to the bones.
Can I vote on both side?
I'm thinking Alaska and upstate New York both darned cold.
That's because you haven't lived in Toronto

Parts of upstate NY are as cold as TO because they're just over the water, parts are more like here. It depends how far north you go.

The other difference is that once the 6 months of solid winter starts in Toronto, there are no mild days. None. Not one day where you can throw on a coat and go for a walk. The UK has those all the time. I loved Toronto as a city but the reason I would never go back there is that the winters are just too brutal.

I can't believe we're debating opinions on a factual matter. That's humans for you!

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jun 21st 2011 at 11:45 am.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956
Can anyone recommend any types or brands of warm cloths i could purchase before leaving please?
Yes. Go to the ''www.Matalan.co.uk'' web site (UK) they have all the fashions you and yours could wish for - and all at very very reasonable prices. Best regards Don ( Shropshire)
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Angie - I am unsure where you are currently located, so I am opting for the USA. Before I left, I bought warm long sleeved undershirts from Sierra Trading Co. - I bought a wool one, and two in a blend of wool and silk. They are lovely and warm, and I wore them from November to March as undershirts, and a few times in March as the only shirt. The wool and silk blend ones are very feminine. Here is the website: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ and the specific underwear site:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/240_Womens-Long-Underwear-Tops.html
Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120

LEAVING WISCONSIN

Have a look at the overstocks section on Landsend.com they have lovely coats and long underwear. do a google search for a coupon code for lands end and get a deal.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120

LEAVING WISCONSIN

Old Jun 21st 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

Have a look at the overstocks section on Landsend.com they have lovely coats and long underwear. do a google search for a coupon code for lands end and get a deal.
I love Lands End overstocks - you can get some great deals there.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:26 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I love Lands End overstocks - you can get some great deals there.
Yes I just got a new handbag Brown suede hobo bag (marked down to 20 something from 70, I'm in love with it and the weather is too hot an sunny to use it, so roll on winter.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yes I just got a new handbag Brown suede hobo bag (marked down to 20 something from 70, I'm in love with it and the weather is too hot an sunny to use it, so roll on winter.

No no - I hate winter!!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:53 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by Derrygal
[/B]

No no - I hate winter!!!!
I would too if I lived in Ohio
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

ANGIE I came home December 1st 2010, I gave most of my clothes to the salvation army ---- 6 big 30 gallon trash bags full of em,
all I brought with me that were warm were 4 jackets that I liked and had for a few years, they were not heavy just light waist length, the same ones as I would wear in a normal las vegas winter say January and February, it can get down to the 30,s with a strong wind to boot in Vegas in winter,
I also brought 6 nice sweaters, 3 thin and 3 medium thickness, I only brought with me 4 short sleave shirts so I bought a whole bunch of really good quality long sleeve winter shirts in thrift stores for £2 or £3 each, most were like new marks & spencer shirts, also I brought with me 3 pairs of wrangler jeans and 2 pair of levis jeans, (brand name american jeans are VERY expensive in England) a pair of wranglers just avaverage will cost you £45 to £60 here, so my advice is if you like jeans make sure you bring enough with you, and maybe a couple of pairs the next size up ---- just in case you put on a few unwanted pounds with all the tempting old favorites and biscuits, real devon cream black forest cake, & all the rest Hmmmmm
Lovely
And when I came home Gatwick where I was supposed to land was absolutely covered in very deep snow and ice so the plane had to land at Heathrow, the worst winter in 100 years they said,
when I got to my Mums house we were snowed in for 6 days, people couldn't go to work it was so bad ---- and oh soooo cold --- enough to freeze the b---s off a monkey
No dont feel your head with stuff like what clothes to bring, just your normal stuff you would wear say in the west coast of USA or Canada,
I did bring a very old pair of long johns with me, I had em for about 20 years or more that I used to wear in the cold cold winters in Lake Tahoe years ago ---- oh boy talk about cold Brrrrrr for a few days in Tahoe it was 29 below one winter, I would even wear my long johns to bed, never been cold enough to wear them here though,
Good luck,
You must be getting excited already, I know I was when I still had 6 months to go, I was also a little scared of the unknowns that were waiting for me back home, I even went through a pretty bad depression and thinking OH BOY my plane tickets are booked, I have told my Mum and rest of family that Im coming home for good, and I cant back out of this now, what would they think of me, but yes I did have doubts, and yes I did almost back out of it,
I was so scared of not knowing what to expect in U. K. I have never told anyone on here about that before, all I could think of for a while is how can I make this huge change in my life after 36 years in America,
But this is the thing, you quickly get over these fears once your back home,
and you just slip into your new life, its like starting a new Job, you know how that feels --- when you dont know anybody and all you want to do is fit in, you probably wont feel that you belong there for a while not like the locals, but gradually you will bit by bit start loving life here and then you will be thinking why you didn't make the move years ago,
The UK is not perfect by any means --- what place is? ---- but its got an awful lot going for it, and I love it here
Its my Mum,s Birthday today and she is 92, so I have to get off here now and get everything ready for the little family party tonight
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Happy birthday to your Mum Rodney
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
ANGIE I came home December 1st 2010, I gave most of my clothes to the salvation army ---- 6 big 30 gallon trash bags full of em,
all I brought with me that were warm were 4 jackets that I liked and had for a few years, they were not heavy just light waist length, the same ones as I would wear in a normal las vegas winter say January and February, it can get down to the 30,s with a strong wind to boot in Vegas in winter,
I also brought 6 nice sweaters, 3 thin and 3 medium thickness, I only brought with me 4 short sleave shirts so I bought a whole bunch of really good quality long sleeve winter shirts in thrift stores for £2 or £3 each, most were like new marks & spencer shirts, also I brought with me 3 pairs of wrangler jeans and 2 pair of levis jeans, (brand name american jeans are VERY expensive in England) a pair of wranglers just avaverage will cost you £45 to £60 here, so my advice is if you like jeans make sure you bring enough with you, and maybe a couple of pairs the next size up ---- just in case you put on a few unwanted pounds with all the tempting old favorites and biscuits, real devon cream black forest cake, & all the rest Hmmmmm
Lovely
And when I came home Gatwick where I was supposed to land was absolutely covered in very deep snow and ice so the plane had to land at Heathrow, the worst winter in 100 years they said,
when I got to my Mums house we were snowed in for 6 days, people couldn't go to work it was so bad ---- and oh soooo cold --- enough to freeze the b---s off a monkey
No dont feel your head with stuff like what clothes to bring, just your normal stuff you would wear say in the west coast of USA or Canada,
I did bring a very old pair of long johns with me, I had em for about 20 years or more that I used to wear in the cold cold winters in Lake Tahoe years ago ---- oh boy talk about cold Brrrrrr for a few days in Tahoe it was 29 below one winter, I would even wear my long johns to bed, never been cold enough to wear them here though,
Good luck,
You must be getting excited already, I know I was when I still had 6 months to go, I was also a little scared of the unknowns that were waiting for me back home, I even went through a pretty bad depression and thinking OH BOY my plane tickets are booked, I have told my Mum and rest of family that Im coming home for good, and I cant back out of this now, what would they think of me, but yes I did have doubts, and yes I did almost back out of it,
I was so scared of not knowing what to expect in U. K. I have never told anyone on here about that before, all I could think of for a while is how can I make this huge change in my life after 36 years in America,
But this is the thing, you quickly get over these fears once your back home,
and you just slip into your new life, its like starting a new Job, you know how that feels --- when you dont know anybody and all you want to do is fit in, you probably wont feel that you belong there for a while not like the locals, but gradually you will bit by bit start loving life here and then you will be thinking why you didn't make the move years ago,
The UK is not perfect by any means --- what place is? ---- but its got an awful lot going for it, and I love it here
Its my Mum,s Birthday today and she is 92, so I have to get off here now and get everything ready for the little family party tonight
Take care,
Rodney.
Happy birthday to your Mum! I hope she has a lovely party.
Rodney, your writings hold so much insight for all of us........just like you are reading our minds.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I see that Canadian currency bills are going to go plastic so as to cut down on forgery/counterfeiting and they said they will last longer.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Canad.../ID=2015101268

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.