Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:29 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Mallory
The UK is only the size of Texas. To compare to USA you would have to have free calling all over Europe.
My sister in law has some package deal which enables her to phone her sister in Australia, which she does every single day!!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:55 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I can understand why a desire to come home includes commentary on why you're not happy in the US, or Aus (usually these are the two that come in for the most grief) but we do seem to get off-topic a lot condemning our adopted homes and their politics/lifestyle/culture.
Then again, this is the thread that people were shunted off to to stop that stuff happening in the main thread. Maybe we need a third spin-off thread

I think complaining about where you are is all part of the process of moving home for a lot of people. Just as complaining about Britain is all part of the process of moving away for people I know in the UK. Partly, it's a psychological process of separation and of self-validation. Some go through it and some don't.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Then again, this is the thread that people were shunted off to to stop that stuff happening in the main thread. Maybe we need a third spin-off thread

I think complaining about where you are is all part of the process of moving home for a lot of people. Just as complaining about Britain is all part of the process of moving away for people I know in the UK. Partly, it's a psychological process of separation and of self-validation. Some go through it and some don't.
Absolutely agreed! And we have seen here a determined effort to avoid the grass in greener problem. You yourself have said "come up with the list of pros and cons ranked in order of precedence" which is a good way to come up with a proper critique. The only trouble is that we are pretty clear as to what it is that gets our backs up sufficiently to want to move back but for those of us gone from the Uk for a good long term we don't really know what the return offers, even if we've returned on vacation on a regular basis, and it could be more of the same unless we are very careful.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

If it's what I think it is, it's not a "thumbnail" so isn't just a case of right-click-open, I think it is when the file is corrupt, is too big (i.e., file size) for your computer to show, or is in a format you can't open.

However, sometimes the person who saved the picture didn't save it with the correct extension (e.g., .jpg) in which case your computer just doesn't recognise it's a picture. In that case, double-clicking or right-click-open will work.

Most of the time, though, this icon means the file can't be opened.
Dunroving said it all
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:20 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
The only trouble is that we are pretty clear as to what it is that gets our backs up sufficiently to want to move back but for those of us gone from the Uk for a good long term we don't really know what the return offers, even if we've returned on vacation on a regular basis, and it could be more of the same unless we are very careful.
I think it depends why you're going home. For me it's all about friends and family. So it doesn't matter whether the lifestyle here is better, or my house is bigger or the sun shines more. I just want to be close to family - especially our parents as they age.

But for those going home for a better lifestyle, yes, that's a tough one. For everything you hate here, there may be something you hate there too.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends why you're going home. For me it's all about friends and family. So it doesn't matter whether the lifestyle here is better, or my house is bigger or the sun shines more. I just want to be close to family - especially our parents as they age.

But for those going home for a better lifestyle, yes, that's a tough one. For everything you hate here, there may be something you hate there too.
Indeed! I'm a para 2. candidate but add less isolation and more varied lifestyle when aging and not working. Too much family pain over all of those years for it to be para 1.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely agreed! And we have seen here a determined effort to avoid the grass in greener problem. You yourself have said "come up with the list of pros and cons ranked in order of precedence" which is a good way to come up with a proper critique. The only trouble is that we are pretty clear as to what it is that gets our backs up sufficiently to want to move back but for those of us gone from the Uk for a good long term we don't really know what the return offers, even if we've returned on vacation on a regular basis, and it could be more of the same unless we are very careful.
Actually, I think I am one of the old timers who actually hasn't said that piece of advice, although it is definitely good advice for anyone - it helps to un-jumble the jumbled mind of a wannabe returner (or leaver).
Old Apr 25th 2011, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
If we lived a 1/2 mile over, we could have AT&T internet for $19.99 a month, it stops one house over from my friends house and she was super PO'd that she couldn't get it, they have no immediate plans to extend their lines any time soon, maybe when the economy takes off again, it stopped extending in 2007.
This is exactly the circumstance for a friend of mine living in a small town in Texas. Finally just a few months ago....progress came to her. She now has broadband internet....though she has had unlimited phone service for a few years now. Here's keeping my for you, that soon, very soon..the AT&T lines will come your way!!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
This is exactly the circumstance for a friend of mine living in a small town in Texas. Finally just a few months ago....progress came to her. She now has broadband internet....though she has had unlimited phone service for a few years now. Here's keeping my for you, that soon, very soon..the AT&T lines will come your way!!
First place I moved to in the UK, I could only receive 4 TV channels - one of which was in Welsh!

Now I live somewhere that doesn't receive Freeview and the standard channels aren't too hot either.

Luckily, about 3 years back the government introduced Freesat and now I have 100's of channels to choose from! (except my dish stopped working 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting on the repair man ) And Scotland only gets one HD Freesat channel - mind you, STV doesn't screen half of the regular ITV programs so we get Kenneth McKellar re-runs instead of the latest cutting-edge dramas.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:33 pm
Finally Home!

When we go back, I'm wondering if we'll even bother with a TV. We only use ours as a screening device for shows we download from the Box and once we're there, we can watch everything online on iPlayer, 4oD etc.

I don't think we've sat down and watched a show on TV at its appointed time for 2 years now.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

When we go back, I'm wondering if we'll even bother with a TV. We only use ours as a screening device for shows we download from the Box and once we're there, we can watch everything online on iPlayer, 4oD etc.

I don't think we've sat down and watched a show on TV at its appointed time for 2 years now.
Yes I think the days of cable TV are numbered and the TV companies know this and thats why they are playing hard ball when they renew contract offers with the celebrities.

Its a new day.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 4:08 pm
Ping-ponger

I just bought (about 2 months ago) a digital Freesat recorder and it has changed my world (sad, I know). I think I have already worn down the "Pause" button.

It has taken me about 5 years to cave in and buy a digital HD TV, Blu-Ray player, basic sound system and now this recorder. next thing will be to get the new-fangled internet TV and just download - that will be in about another 5 years.

(I'm not cheap, just thrifty)
Old Apr 25th 2011, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought (about 2 months ago) a digital Freesat recorder and it has changed my world (sad, I know). I think I have already worn down the "Pause" button.

It has taken me about 5 years to cave in and buy a digital HD TV, Blu-Ray player, basic sound system and now this recorder. next thing will be to get the new-fangled internet TV and just download - that will be in about another 5 years.

(I'm not cheap, just thrifty)
Its the Scottish influence.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:27 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by cheers
Its the Scottish influence.
I didn't even think of that - I must be assimilating!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agreed ----- with Sallys comment just before yours and your comment here ------ nothing more I can think of adding to them at the moment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.