Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:41 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Mummy most cable service companies offer this. Do you use a cable company for your TV? If you do, contact them about digital phone service...you won't regret it.
We haven't had cable TV in 18 years, so we are left with the local phone company internet/land line deal. They have started to do cable TV now as well, somehow that is though the phone lines too
If we lived a 1/2 mile over, we could have AT&T internet for $19.99 a month, it stops one house over from my friends house and she was super PO'd that she couldn't get it, they have no immediate plans to extend their lines any time soon, maybe when the economy takes off again, it stopped extending in 2007.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
It's such a shame. Pretty soon it won't matter if you are in the USA, UK, or Hong Kong - they will all look the same. So sad.
And it's not getting any better. Those of you who don't get to go back once or twice a year.....quit dreaming.......the UK way of life is getting closer to the UK equivalent by the minute : o (
Ok some of it is not so bad. Just back from a weekend in Baltimore....judging dogs....weather rather British...cool with showers. Wonderful, friendly people. There were a couple of Brit judges there also. They were v impressed with their treatment,scenery and lifestyle. Just trying to say it is not all as some list members on here would like to portray.
Was off there for week and going off again......there are a couple of folks on here who are so embittered re their American lives. I only have to say I wouldn't change my life's experiences for the world otherwise I wouldn't be the person my children love )
Getting off before the flack........
Old Apr 25th 2011, 1:38 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
there are a couple of folks on here who are so embittered re their American lives. I only have to say I wouldn't change my life's experiences for the world otherwise I wouldn't be the person my children love )
And yet I suppose the same goes for them too. They wouldn't be the same person their families loved if they hadn't had the experiences they had

Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a world where we're all secure and happy in our own opinions while also being willing to let others have theirs without judging them? I do think some of those who are embittered have every reason to feel that way. If I haven't walked a mile in their shoes, I don't feel qualified to criticize. For example, I haven't had my house stolen from me by a bank the way windsong has. If I had, I might feel very differently about this country and my life here.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Apr 25th 2011 at 1:42 am.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
And yet I suppose the same goes for them too. They wouldn't be the same person their families loved if they hadn't had the experiences they had

Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a world where we're all secure and happy in our own opinions while also being willing to let others have theirs without judging them? I do think some of those who are embittered have every reason to feel that way. If I haven't walked a mile in their shoes, I don't feel qualified to criticize. For example, I haven't had my house stolen from me by a bank the way windsong has. If I had, I might feel very differently about this country and my life here.
... and this forum is titled "Moving back to the UK" which speaks for itself.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasper123
If anyone is interested I have been home long enough now to report on the average utility bill costs now ----- thats if you take me and Mum as average,
Now these are for a 3 bedroom terraced house, ---- all the quarterly bills are in now with the latest coming in today which was the sewage bill, and so I have calculated all the bills down to monthly ---- cause thats how we pay our bills in the U.S. all these figures will be in GBP so you will have to roughly convert them to your currencies where you live,

Average Monthly Utility bills ----- 3 Bedroom Terraced, Hampshire, England.

Council tax/property tax (two people)
£121
Water & Sewage
£46
Gas & Electricity
C90
Phone & Internet (land line only) B.T.
£32
Total Per Month,
£289

Important Note,
Our Water & Sewege is on the Meter,

Now to all you House owners out there in other countries like OZZ or Canada or U.S. or else where ---- how do these figures compare to your own?

I guess these figures could help people returning home whether or not they rent or buy,
Hope this helps,
Rodney.
PS now as me and Mum split all bills in half then its quite affordable for each of us, ----- so if there are two people sharing all bills its much better in my opinion.
Ours in Canada (converted to GBP)
Property Taxes £132
Water & Sewage £20.62
Gas & Electricity £80
Phone & Internet £62

This is for a 2000 sq ft home split evenly year-round (cold winters, hot summers)
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help with a computer issue?

Sometimes a picture isn't received and instead you get a little symbol instead. The symbol is always the same and the best way to describe it as its like a postage stamp, but a fraction of the size, with a little piece torn at the bottom.
I think everyone has seen them from time to time on their screen.

Any ideas???

Cheers
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:49 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Right click on the symbol and see what happens. It should say "Show image". See if that helps.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

Sometimes a picture isn't received and instead you get a little symbol instead. The symbol is always the same and the best way to describe it as its like a postage stamp, but a fraction of the size, with a little piece torn at the bottom.

Any ideas???

Cheers
Cheers, under what circumstances are you seeing the little box with the red x in it?
Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:04 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Yes ,Peter Cotton tail has been here too (this morning) "hopping down the bunny trail "lol !

HAPPY EASTER ~everyone
I don't know who Peter Cottontail is, only the Easter Bunny visited here.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

I think find 'any excuse/reason to have a family get-together' anywhere in the world is a plus and is what a lot of families do...even mine. Especially because my family includes diverse cultures that are very family oriented. Find a reason, any reason...and is a time to get together and eat!!

As far as religious holidays...well I'm a Heathen! and I love Peter Cottontail and Easter eggs..I have no interest in the 'religious event'. Same for Xmas...I love Santa Claus, the North Pole and his Elves, presents, the lights...all the red & green colors and of course XMAS TREES! I think the only holiday that I celebrate in the 'spirit' of is...Thanksgiving. A time to give Thanks for what I do have, a time to come together with family and friends and give Thanks knowing we are all still here, breathing and in relatively good health. So some people do celebrate the holidays in the 'spirit' of, that which for them which gives the most meaning and pleasure.
The rabbit and eggs...are all signs of Fertility...as practiced by the Pagans. Christians incorporated early on so as to entice Pagans to convert to Christianity.
My Easter Spirit today is spiriting me off to a luscious buffet with my sons. Doc daughter and RN daughter are off delivering babies today. (It's that old Fertility thing, doncha' know)
And when I get home I will eat Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs with all the Easter Spirit and Gusto I can muster!!

Windsong and all....wishing everyone a most Wonderful Easter Sunday...no matter where you are, no matter your reasons for celebrating.
Here Comes Peter Cottontail!!

Chris
I am with you on this one, family and friends are far more important than even chocolate (and thats saying something, from a chocoholic)
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:15 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Royal Wedding Guest List

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13175842
Old Apr 25th 2011, 8:14 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

Any ideas???

Cheers
If it's what I think it is, it's not a "thumbnail" so isn't just a case of right-click-open, I think it is when the file is corrupt, is too big (i.e., file size) for your computer to show, or is in a format you can't open.

However, sometimes the person who saved the picture didn't save it with the correct extension (e.g., .jpg) in which case your computer just doesn't recognise it's a picture. In that case, double-clicking or right-click-open will work.

Most of the time, though, this icon means the file can't be opened.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 8:33 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
... and this forum is titled "Moving back to the UK" which speaks for itself.
Well said - it's not the "Bash the US" or "Australia stinks" forum.

I can understand why a desire to come home includes commentary on why you're not happy in the US, or Aus (usually these are the two that come in for the most grief) but we do seem to get off-topic a lot condemning our adopted homes and their politics/lifestyle/culture.

Personally I'm not offended by it, it just gets a bit tiresome trawling through post after post of it when I'm more interested in people who need advice about moving back, or want to talk about life in the UK. Some of these threads grow soo quickly I can't keep up as it is, so I've almost given up trying when half of it is negative comments on the US.

But hey, it's a free world and I'm sure it won't take long before someone reminds me of that fact.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about that Windsong...I pay $39.95 a month for unlimited local & local long distance thru Comcast...this includes unlimited to Canada & Puerto Rico as well. During my several years in Texas I paid exactly the same to Time-Warner for the same exact service. And when I say unlimited I mean unlimited. I could talk for 24 hours a day for a month and still pay the same. I love this unlimited local & long distance plan. I don't feel I'm being bled at all.

Chris......
We have BT anytime 24/7 calling all over Great Britain, all for £13.27 per month, my broadband 5 gig super speed internet costs and extra £16 per month with unlimited usage.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:21 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
We have BT anytime 24/7 calling all over Great Britain, all for £13.27 per month, my broadband 5 gig super speed internet costs and extra £16 per month with unlimited usage.
The UK is only the size of Texas. To compare to USA you would have to have free calling all over Europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.