Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Costa Coffee is one of the many new things that have made England a better place to live IMO. So much nicer than Starbucks and they make a fabulous pot of tea.
Good Old Whitbread! No longer a brewer, now an Hotelier (Premier Inn) Pub Operator/Restaurateur and Coffee Chain.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 24th 2011 at 3:20 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Im with you all the way, I was one of those 24 hour workers, I worked for Krogers for 16 years, its all about the $$$$$... I missed many a real Chritmas party here as I had to work at midnight on Christmas day...

The more Americanised the UK becomes the worse it will get, it will lose that Charm and English Family way of life that many of us love... Huhhhhh...
It's such a shame. Pretty soon it won't matter if you are in the USA, UK, or Hong Kong - they will all look the same. So sad.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by windsong
I think in America they find any excuse/reason to have a family get-together which is nice but the real meaning of the event (e.g. Easter) for most people lacks substance - but then again you can find this same sort of thing in the UK, too. Not every family celebrates the spirit behind Easter - or Christmas, for that matter.
I think find 'any excuse/reason to have a family get-together' anywhere in the world is a plus and is what a lot of families do...even mine. Especially because my family includes diverse cultures that are very family oriented. Find a reason, any reason...and is a time to get together and eat!!

As far as religious holidays...well I'm a Heathen! and I love Peter Cottontail and Easter eggs..I have no interest in the 'religious event'. Same for Xmas...I love Santa Claus, the North Pole and his Elves, presents, the lights...all the red & green colors and of course XMAS TREES! I think the only holiday that I celebrate in the 'spirit' of is...Thanksgiving. A time to give Thanks for what I do have, a time to come together with family and friends and give Thanks knowing we are all still here, breathing and in relatively good health. So some people do celebrate the holidays in the 'spirit' of, that which for them which gives the most meaning and pleasure.
The rabbit and eggs...are all signs of Fertility...as practiced by the Pagans. Christians incorporated early on so as to entice Pagans to convert to Christianity.
My Easter Spirit today is spiriting me off to a luscious buffet with my sons. Doc daughter and RN daughter are off delivering babies today. (It's that old Fertility thing, doncha' know)
And when I get home I will eat Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs with all the Easter Spirit and Gusto I can muster!!

Windsong and all....wishing everyone a most Wonderful Easter Sunday...no matter where you are, no matter your reasons for celebrating.
Here Comes Peter Cottontail!!

Chris
Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
The very little bit I know about this subject is that all manangement is under the gun to increase sales. If their sales go down then they are out of a job. Up at the top the CEOs have to perform for the stockholders or they get bounced. Think of it as a game that the kids play on their computers and they thrive to win. Well thats that side of the story looking at the other side. Employees are just a means to atchieve sales and they have to work hours at any time of the day This is a big thing to me that I remember in 'England' in my day that shops were closed on Sunday and this allowed people to get together as family and friends and plan for that day, now I'm afraid that the businesses want to be open 24 hours so as to increase sales again. Shops use to close at 5:30 or 6pm and the employees had a life! You should hear the Americans scream because they can't shop 24 hours a day in England like 'back home' its so inconvenient for them! I always think of the employee side. Sorry. Some shops use to close at 1pm on Saturday and the employees could go to the match or ?? I think that was a long time ago because they went to early closing on Wednesday so to be open all day on Saturday. My point is family and culture was important and unfortunately they are taking the American view that if your family gets in the way of your job then get a divorce!

OK vote for me if you agree! Family and culture is more important than materialism and convenience in shopping(higher sales).

I'm really not this hostile but I do have my opinions.

Yesterday we saw the hostility to Tesco in Bristol and I was caught in between because I hate, hate violence against the police and property period. On the other had we have Tesco who in my opinion go around and grease hands to open up all over, pay low wages (so I'm told) and they end up ruining towns and villages by closing down the neighborhood shops that people could walk to.

and furthermore its all Dunrovins fault
You have my vote, too.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Good News!

You can get Costa Coffee at many Waterstones the bookstore throughout the UK.

In fact the Glasgow area BE group looking to emigrate to Canada met up at the Glasgow Waterstones Costa Coffee.
Beautiful, Pete

Thank you!
Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chriswinter
I think find 'any excuse/reason to have a family get-together' anywhere in the world is a plus and is what a lot of families do...even mine. Especially because my family includes diverse cultures that are very family oriented. Find a reason, any reason...and is a time to get together and eat!!

As far as religious holidays...well I'm a Heathen! and I love Peter Cottontail and Easter eggs..I have no interest in the 'religious event'. Same for Xmas...I love Santa Claus, the North Pole and his Elves, presents, the lights...all the red & green colors and of course XMAS TREES! I think the only holiday that I celebrate in the 'spirit' of is...Thanksgiving. A time to give Thanks for what I do have, a time to come together with family and friends and give Thanks knowing we are all still here, breathing and in relatively good health. So some people do celebrate the holidays in the 'spirit' of, that which for them which gives the most meaning and pleasure.
The rabbit and eggs...are all signs of Fertility...as practiced by the Pagans. Christians incorporated early on so as to entice Pagans to convert to Christianity.
My Easter Spirit today is spiriting me off to a luscious buffet with my sons. Doc daughter and RN daughter are off delivering babies today. (It's that old Fertility thing, doncha' know)
And when I get home I will eat Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs with all the Easter Spirit and Gusto I can muster!!

Windsong and all....wishing everyone a most Wonderful Easter Sunday...no matter where you are, no matter your reasons for celebrating.

Chris
Yes it is a plus - and I did say that:

"think in America they find any excuse/reason to have a family get-together which is nice but the real meaning of the event (e.g. Easter) for most people lacks substance - but then again you can find this same sort of thing in the UK, too. Not every family celebrates the spirit behind Easter - or Christmas, for that matter."

Happy Easter to you, too.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Chris
Yes ,Peter Cotton tail has been here too (this morning) "hopping down the bunny trail "lol !

HAPPY EASTER ~everyone
Old Apr 24th 2011, 4:48 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I should have to avoid Easter and Christmas celebrations just because I don't believe in the 'real' meaning of them. I can't wait to have those holidays again with my family - even though we are all heathens
Old Apr 24th 2011, 5:51 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Yes ,Peter Cotton tail has been here too (this morning) "hopping down the bunny trail "lol !

HAPPY EASTER ~everyone
He was by here too, I just ate his ears
Old Apr 24th 2011, 7:27 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
For this home and my numbers are in red.
Attachment 99983
Lovely home Cheers, it's just in the wrong country.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Lovely home Cheers, it's just in the wrong country.
Have you been out in the 'motor' today?
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with everything you have said about the USA invasive movement. It sounds good on paper but when you live in a society like this for a long time you begin to see and feel the negative consequences, i.e. the very negative effects on society. People become greedy and selfish, expectations get higher and higher, they become more self-centered, etc. - I could go on and on.

Yes, this has invaded Britain but, thankfully, Britain is not so advanced in this respect (yet) as America is. I feel sorry for future generations, though.

Having said that, Britain may never get so advanced in this respect as the USA. After all, it is part of the EU and much of the EU travel industry is built on "small" and "quaint" and "ethnic". Large corporations like Tesco would throw these things to the wind and I think the EU wants to hold on to these things if only to protect the travel industry. All in all, I am just hoping that everything it means to be European may stop this from happening to such a degree in the UK. I might be totally wrong here, though.

I really hope so, Tina.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

It's been years since I had a landline but it used to include local calls. Long distance and "in between distance" (forget the term but it is a new level they introduced to bleed the public) were extra.
I don't know about that Windsong...I pay $39.95 a month for unlimited local & local long distance thru Comcast...this includes unlimited to Canada & Puerto Rico as well. During my several years in Texas I paid exactly the same to Time-Warner for the same exact service. And when I say unlimited I mean unlimited. I could talk for 24 hours a day for a month and still pay the same. I love this unlimited local & long distance plan. I don't feel I'm being bled at all.

Chris......
Old Apr 24th 2011, 11:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about that Windsong...I pay $39.95 a month for unlimited local & local long distance thru Comcast...this includes unlimited to Canada & Puerto Rico as well. During my several years in Texas I paid exactly the same to Time-Warner for the same exact service. And when I say unlimited I mean unlimited. I could talk for 24 hours a day for a month and still pay the same. I love this unlimited local & long distance plan. I don't feel I'm being bled at all.

Chris......
Thats a fantastic deal, theres nothing like that where I am.
It's almost that much for the land line rental and that gives free local calls only, long distance and international are more, they don't do plans for international, but so far I've found they are pretty cheap, it' 3¢ a min right now to UK, it changes up or down as time goes by.
When I first moved in we called AT&T for an international plan and they asked who out local provider was, then they told me there was no such provider, even though I was talking to them on a land line phone Thats a small local phone company for you.
They recently came out with DSL and land line package which we bought $100 a month for both, but it gives 200 minutes anywhere in the US, so it's the best deal we can get.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thats a fantastic deal, theres nothing like that where I am.
It's almost that much for the land line rental and that gives free local calls only, long distance and international are more, they don't do plans for international, but so far I've found they are pretty cheap, it' 3¢ a min right now to UK, it changes up or down as time goes by.
When I first moved in we called AT&T for an international plan and they asked who out local provider was, then they told me there was no such provider, even though I was talking to them on a land line phone Thats a small local phone company for you.
They recently came out with DSL and land line package which we bought $100 a month for both, but it gives 200 minutes anywhere in the US, so it's the best deal we can get.
Mummy most cable service companies offer this. Do you use a cable company for your TV? If you do, contact them about digital phone service...you won't regret it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.