Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by aviva
I really don't understand why everyone thinks that the Allied Nations are doing such a wonderful thing in Libya. They never do squat about atrocities by leaders against their people all over Africa. They are just protecting the flow of the purest oil on the planet. IMO!
Though I agree that oil is always there in the background, I think it is precisely because of the lack of response to Rwanda that this is taking place now. A lesson learnt.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:33 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Oh I remember picnics in Delamere Forest when my children were young and we lived in Cheshire. Happy Days!!!!!!!!!
At Lady Heyes, we went into Bob Carolgees Yankee Candle shop, anybody who left the UK in the early 80's will remember him and Spit the Dog!!

We had a really nice pub lunch later, my sister, my son and I.

http://www.vale-royal-abbey-arms-northwich.co.uk/

Then we went for a drive through lots of pretty little villages.

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 20th 2011 at 6:36 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:42 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
We had a really nice pub lunch later, my sister, my son and I. http://www.vale-royal-abbey-arms-northwich.co.uk/ Then we went for a drive through lots of pretty little villages.

Sounds like a perfect Sunday in England! Love the pub. Did they have a wood fire going? What did you have for lunch?

We didn't go to Polesdon Lacey today, but instead went to Hughenden, home of Benjamine Disraeli. Absolutely LOVED it. Took lots of pictures which will be on my FB page later.

Had lunch in the tearooms there which are located - as is so often the case in many National Trust properties - in the old stables. We had roast pork (w/applesauce), roast potatoes and veg (broccolli, cauliflower & carrots) - all smothered with lovely gravy.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:51 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Ak thank you, Denise, I didn't know about the tablets distributed in the US in the clinical testing program. Wow. Your mother was probably right, then. And thank goodness the effect on your sister--awful though it is about her foot--was not even worse, as in so many other horrific cases.....I've appended below the whole Wiki paragraph you quoted, because it gives the name of the doctor who is responsible for refusing FDA approval, in case anyone else has been following this conversation. She deserves a lot of credit, her action must have saved unknown huge numbers of American thalidomide victims.
The impact in the United States was minimized when pharmacologist and M.D. Frances Oldham Kelsey refused Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for an application from the Richardson-Merrell company to market thalidomide, saying further studies were needed. And although thalidomide was never approved for sale in the United States, millions of tablets had been distributed to physicians during a clinical testing program. It was impossible to know how many pregnant women had been given the drug to help alleviate morning sickness or as a sedative. Tina

Thanks for sharing this. Goes to show what a difference one person can make in the world.

My sister spent quite a bit of time in Shriner's Hospital for Crippled Children in Oak Park, Illinois having surgery on her legs, physical therapy, etc.. The Shriner's are a fantastic organization. Never cost my parents a penny. She was under their care until her 16th birthday.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

At Lady Heyes, we went into Bob Carolgees Yankee Candle shop, anybody who left the UK in the early 80's will remember him and Spit the Dog!!

We had a really nice pub lunch later, my sister, my son and I.

http://www.vale-royal-abbey-arms-northwich.co.uk/

Then we went for a drive through lots of pretty little villages.
I'm ready to order:

Sweet potato, red pepper, spinach & yellow lentil ‘Malabar’ curry served with lemon & parsley basmati & wild rice & poppadoms v £7.99
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
We had roast pork (w/applesauce), roast potatoes and veg (broccolli, cauliflower & carrots) - all smothered with lovely gravy.
Is it too late to change my order???

I would like

roast pork (w/applesauce), roast potatoes and veg (broccolli, cauliflower & carrots) - all smothered with lovely gravy.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:07 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Sounds like a perfect Sunday in England! Love the pub. Did they have a wood fire going? What did you have for lunch?

We didn't go to Polesdon Lacey today, but instead went to Hughenden, home of Benjamine Disraeli. Absolutely LOVED it. Took lots of pictures which will be on my FB page later.

Had lunch in the tearooms there which are located - as is so often the case in many National Trust properties - in the old stables. We had roast pork (w/applesauce), roast potatoes and veg (broccolli, cauliflower & carrots) - all smothered with lovely gravy.
Copycat!!! LOL!! That's what DS and I had, my sister had roast beef and with both we got Yorkshire puddings. DS then had waffles and ice cream but S and I were two goody two shoes and had no dessert.

Yes there was a fire and was lovely inside, it was really olde worldy with lots of old prints on the walls which I always have to read.

I am looking forward to doing the National Trust thing later on I must say.

It looks like we are going to Buxton on Wednesday, sister, DS and I as it will be his last full day in the UK, we will call on my niece and her bf for dinner that night too as they live in South Manchester and he can say his goodbyes.

So fingers crossed folks for some nice weather oop north.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Copycat!!! LOL!! That's what DS and I had, my sister had roast beef and with both we got Yorkshire puddings. DS then had waffles and ice cream but S and I were two goody two shoes and had no dessert.

Yes there was a fire and was lovely inside, it was really olde worldy with lots of old prints on the walls which I always have to read.

I am looking forward to doing the National Trust thing later on I must say.

It looks like we are going to Buxton on Wednesday, sister, DS and I as it will be his last full day in the UK, we will call on my niece and her bf for dinner that night too as they live in South Manchester and he can say his goodbyes.

So fingers crossed folks for some nice weather oop north.
I were two goody two shoes and had no dessert.

"Pudding" please, so common
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Beedubya & Sally,
You have me thinking about Buxton again. My mother was an avid hiker in her youth and I can't tell you how many times she would rave about the beauty of Dovedale which begins close to Buxton.

http://www.derbyshireuk.net/dovedale.html
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Thanks for sharing this. Goes to show what a difference one person can make in the world.

My sister spent quite a bit of time in Shriner's Hospital for Crippled Children in Oak Park, Illinois having surgery on her legs, physical therapy, etc.. The Shriner's are a fantastic organization. Never cost my parents a penny. She was under their care until her 16th birthday.
Indeed--one person CAN make a difference.

Wow, that's great about the Shriners--have heard of them but wasn't sure what they did. Fantastic.

Tina
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:28 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Beedubya & Sally,
You have me thinking about Buxton again. My mother was an avid hiker in her youth and I can't tell you how many times she would rave about the beauty of Dovedale which begins close to Buxton.

http://www.derbyshireuk.net/dovedale.html
It appeals to me because of the buildings - I love Georgian and Victorian architecture - because it's a college town so it has some life and culture, and because it's so near to that gorgeous scenery. It's also an easy commute to our friends in Manchester although a bit less convenient for those in Cumbria and Yorkshire.

I understand it's quite cold though because it's so high up.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:28 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

Poster is an American with British citizenship and lives in Leeds which she loves with a passion.
Girl after my own heart!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Conversation at supermarket yesterday between myself and the 20 something young man serving me:
He: "That will be $7.50 Madam".
Me: (smiling) "Madam? Are you English?"
He: "Yes I am".
Me: "Where are you from?"
He: "London. What about you?"
Me: "Bedford. It used to considered as quite a way from London; 50 minutes on the train, but now with the fast trains it is a commuter town for London".
He: "Oh not any more. Bedford is now considered part of London".

Oh, maybe it's because I'm a Londoner....
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I'm ready to order:

Sweet potato, red pepper, spinach & yellow lentil ‘Malabar’ curry served with lemon & parsley basmati & wild rice & poppadoms v £7.99
Mmm. I'll have British beef & Ruddles ale pie served with chips or mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables & gravy £8.29

and Trio of classic hot puddings: sticky toffee, spotted dick & chocolate puddings with dairy custard £4.99

Mmmmm.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Mmm. I'll have British beef & Ruddles ale pie served with chips or mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables & gravy £8.29

and Trio of classic hot puddings: sticky toffee, spotted dick & chocolate puddings with dairy custard £4.99

Mmmmm.
Watch your language.

Did you get any numbers last night?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.