Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:44 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

It seems that Dontheturner and wife Tim have just departed on their flight from Bangkok to LHR.

I've posted the flight details on the "Bon Voyage" thread in the green sticky section at the top of the 'Rovers Return' page.

I'm off to bed now (cos I'm in New Jersey and it's 12.45am!)
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by aviva
Thought I'd add that this stands for Bones & Raw Food Diet.
Actually BARF stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Actually BARF stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food.
Yeah, I was just trying to give folks an idea of what I was talking about and not being rude, LOL!
Yes I give shots myself too. Agree on limiting them also. Expensive? Not so much, really, but relative I suppose. I'm not much of a consumer and tend to focus on where I want to spend money.
Don't have any animals of my own at the moment. I absolutely hate it, loathe it, can hardly stand it....it's very difficult for me! I've held off as I want to wait till I get back to UK. It'll make me not tarry.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Good topic Sally

1) Feeling like the real authentic ME, family, the green fields, the church spires in the distance and other hidden treasures as your eye alights upon ever changing scenery, interesting, historical places to visit and going to places I have only read about, British food but not too much this time. Going to a family wedding 2 weeks after I get back. The nearness and cheapness (I hope) to Europe if you need a dose of sunshine.

2) Missing my kids and grand-kids in Australia and feeling guilty like I did last time. Going to the UK with virtually no money, no furniture, no car............starting all over again at 57.

Hi, I read this and it sounded as though I could have written it. I am 62 (pretty hip) and can't get going home out of my mind. I miss so much about England but am scared about making a wrong decision and I would be doing it all alone. I have a house here on Salt Spring Island but no money otherwise. It's a great place but it isn't England and I just don't feel like I belong here. I came to this website to see what others had to say and registered today.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Got news for you: there are only little courtyards in the back of houses here - very high density housing, kept in the medieval style, if not actually ancient. I was at the Community Meeting tonight, regarding a 12 acre building site that has been up for development for years - lots of arguments, and so far the town has managed to keep out the big box retailers - Asda got in on the outskirts of town, so far away I have not been there - have to take a bus or drive. Any new development has to blend in with the old, and there has to be a blend of housing and business, with housing having a percentage for rent and the rest for sale. So - yes, knock down the back walls or have little gates between them, with no gates in the spaces...I could go for that.
Count me in. I am a gardener and textile artist. Was wondering where to move to and looked up Frome on the web. Like that it has a strong arts & crafts contingent. I worik as a silk dyer and gardener, have a wonderful Golden Retriever (Hector) and would like to have chickens and bees. What do you think?
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes, he's very middle class English. The youtube link is a video of him.
Loved the video. Thanks.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
That has already been started up on another thread by Tanto, some kind of halfway house!! It was suggested on the over 50's thread firstly as so many people are in our position, luckily you have your mum and I have family in the UK but if you see Rosie (Islandwoman) for instance, she just had friends to stay with and has now moved into a little studio apartment.

I thought you had a OH? Doesn't he want to move back? I think that would be the hardest thing.
That is such a grfeat idea. I am really glad you are discussing this because it's my biggest question. What do a do between selling my house and finding something I can afford there? If I ship goods, where do I ship them to? How will this whole overlap work? I have some family there but I don't think anyone will offer me a place to stay and anyway they don't live in the areas I would want to live.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 12:18 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
That is such a grfeat idea. I am really glad you are discussing this because it's my biggest question. What do a do between selling my house and finding something I can afford there? If I ship goods, where do I ship them to? How will this whole overlap work? I have some family there but I don't think anyone will offer me a place to stay and anyway they don't live in the areas I would want to live.
There are some posts on the over 50s/60s thread by High Tide. He and his partner went over and found a place. Then David went back to prepare their shipment after they had signed the papers. Sounds like a good way to do it - takes the pressure off.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the post but unfortunately I don't have the cash to go back and forth so I will have to find some other way. Cheers.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Count me in. I am a gardener and textile artist. Was wondering where to move to and looked up Frome on the web. Like that it has a strong arts & crafts contingent. I worik as a silk dyer and gardener, have a wonderful Golden Retriever (Hector) and would like to have chickens and bees. What do you think?
Frome is where my half-sister lives. She has lived in Somerset all her life and just moved to Frome last year. She loves it. She is also into arts and crafts. She just turned 70 this month and is getting a stall on Catherine Hill in Frome to sell her crafts this spring. I really give her credit for being so industrious.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the post but unfortunately I don't have the cash to go back and forth so I will have to find some other way. Cheers.
I don't either, Bandrui, but I am planning at least one trip before I go -first being next year. I think it will make the transition much easier. I haven't priced the whole thing out yet. No doubt hotels are astronomical over there so we will just have to see. If it is too much and takes away from my savings next to actually move back, I won't do it.

When I was last there about 15 years ago I went into a 3-month depression when I returned to the USA. I did NOT want to come back. It was absolutely dreadful!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
I don't either, Bandrui, but I am planning at least one trip before I go -first being next year. I think it will make the transition much easier. I haven't priced the whole thing out yet. No doubt hotels are astronomical over there so we will just have to see. If it is too much and takes away from my savings next to actually move back, I won't do it.

When I was last there about 15 years ago I went into a 3-month depression when I returned to the USA. I did NOT want to come back. It was absolutely dreadful!
I bought a lottery ticket yesterday. That would make it sooooooo much easier. I was pleased to see the info about your sister (or was it SIL). Anyway, that would be my thing too. I was a little discouraged yesterday as I am going through all the old posts on MBTTUK and found the link to Island Girl's photos of Frome and wasn't sure. I am thinking about living rurally or at least semi-rurally and being out of touch with what's current in the UK, wondering if a woman living alone is safe living alone rurally. I am thinking so.
This is where the extra trip would come in but I still have the last trip to pay off on my credit card!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a lottery ticket yesterday. That would make it sooooooo much easier. I was pleased to see the info about your sister (or was it SIL). Anyway, that would be my thing too. I was a little discouraged yesterday as I am going through all the old posts on MBTTUK and found the link to Island Girl's photos of Frome and wasn't sure. I am thinking about living rurally or at least semi-rurally and being out of touch with what's current in the UK, wondering if a woman living alone is safe living alone rurally. I am thinking so.
This is where the extra trip would come in but I still have the last trip to pay off on my credit card!
So did I, I won $1 I haven't bought one in ages, but thought what the heck it'd make the move so much easier.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
So did I, I won $1 I haven't bought one in ages, but thought what the heck it'd make the move so much easier.
I hope you re-invested the win in another ticket

Last edited by Lorac05; Feb 28th 2011 at 9:11 pm. Reason: typo
Old Mar 1st 2011, 2:27 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
I hope you re-invested the win in another ticket
I will I have it pinned to two CVS extra bucks for $1.75 so while I'm there I'll get a gallon of milk for a few cents I go into town tomorrow, maybe they next lotto ticket is the one I'm gonna have a go at the $100,000 a year for life (20 years) scratcher while I'm there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.