Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:01 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by aviva
Wondering how I would be treated, just based on the accent, before they had the opportunity to dislike me for myself. LOL
Yes, I'm one of those stunned, perpetually in a state of culture-shock, dragged around the globe in my formative years, kind of people.
Well you know it is not just American or other nationalaties accents that can cause reactions from SOME (not all) people. How about regional accents?

Some people in the UK do look down on people with Scouse accents you know.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 20th 2011 at 8:56 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I've wondered that - I think they might just be racist Brits who left 'because of all the immigrants'.
No Sally they are'nt, I went to australia in 1971, married my now husband there in 1972, I was only 18yrs old we were £10 pommies, then it was an all white society, black and coloured people were not allowed in, the only black people were the aboriginies and they were treated really badly. I was looking at the ads in the paper for a job, and in one ad it stated, no Jews or Catholics need apply!!!!!!! and that was 1972 not the dark ages. So I would immagine even though now they have to let all races in, underneath there is still that racist mentality. I watched "A Place downunder" when it first aired on BBC 1, when the boom was on, and a very educated Indian or Pakistani Dentist wanted to emigrate with his beautiful wife, and 2 georgous children, he went to work for the day with another British Dentist, as is part of the programme , he asked the Dentist would he have a problem getting a job because of his nationality, and was told there was still a lot of racism in Australia, it even came across that this British Dentist who needed another partner did'nt say he would be interested in giving him a job, his silence spoke volumes I think he was thinking that if he took this man on, would he lose patients, sad really, and ignorant Denise2
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:09 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Wow, I just read that thread and I'm shocked. I feel like I just went back to 1960s Britain. Are those people representative of race attitudes in Australia? If so, I wouldn't last long there.

Aviva, you won't experience that in the UK. But you will get sick of miserable people asking 'why did you want to come back to this dump?' That's the British way and they have no idea how good they have it.

I was watching a show last night about Brits trying to get a dream life in another country. It was about people who want to buy businesses abroad. They were showing this family who were trying to buy a business in Florida and their naivete about American life was scary. They never once mentioned health care - and as self-employed middle-aged people that really should have been their first question.
I don't think health care even comes into the minds of most Brits TBH...... they are so used to the NHS. Just like me living here in Australia I never even think about health care, I know if I am sick I am covered by Medicare.

This past year on BE has taught me that for most Americans it hangs over their head like a storm cloud, no wonder you are all going home.

For me it will be no different health wise, but for some of you guys you are going to feel such massive relief, I bet that's how Rodney is feeling, the cloud has lifted!

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 20th 2011 at 8:12 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
No Sally they are'nt, I went to australia in 1971, married my now husband there in 1972, I was only 18yrs old we were £10 pommies, then it was an all white society, black and coloured people were not allowed in, the only black people were the aboriginies and they were treated really badly. I was looking at the ads in the paper for a job, and in one ad it stated, no Jews or Catholics need apply!!!!!!! and that was 1972 not the dark ages. So I would immagine even though now they have to let all races in, underneath there is still that racist mentality. I watched "A Place downunder" when it first aired on BBC 1, when the boom was on, and a very educated Indian or Pakistani Dentist wanted to emigrate with his beautiful wife, and 2 georgous children, he went to work for the day with another British Dentist, as is part of the programme , he asked the Dentist would he have a problem getting a job because of his nationality, and was told there was still a lot of racism in Australia, it even came across that this British Dentist who needed another partner did'nt say he would be interested in giving him a job, his silence spoke volumes I think he was thinking that if he took this man on, would he lose patients, sad really, and ignorant Denise2

That is interesting.

My Mum is very far from being 'politically correct', however when she visited Australia to meet up with some long-lost relatives she was very shocked by their attitudes, and believe me that's saying something.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I don't think health care even comes into the minds of most Brits TBH...... they are so used to the NHS. Just like me living here in Australia I never even think about health care, I know if I am sick I am covered by Medicare.

This past year on BE has taught me that for most Americans it hangs over their head like a storm cloud, no wonder you are all going home.

For me it will be no different health wise, but for some of you guys you are going to feel such massive relief, I bet that's how Rodney is feeling, the cloud has lifted!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
And you too Jackie of course!!

Only 4 sleeps for you downunder!!!!!!!!!!!

How are your nerves now??
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:19 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think health care even comes into the minds of most Brits TBH...... they are so used to the NHS.
You're right - I was just as naive when I came here. I was just annoyed that the show was painting it as shangri-la and not pointing out to them the obvious issues.

When I came here from Canada, I just assumed they had free health care just like Canada. How stupid I was! My employer gave us coverage so we were fine, but it could just as easily have been a complete disaster. I think that's why I'm so anal about making the decision to go home. This time I want to understand what I'm getting into.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That is interesting.

My Mum is very far from being 'politically correct', however when she visited Australia to meet up with some long-lost relatives she was very shocked by their attitudes, and believe me that's saying something.
It is an underlying subtle racism...............I have always felt that and have never liked it.

It was one of the few things my ex husband and I agreed on.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

And you too Jackie of course!!

Only 4 sleeps for you downunder!!!!!!!!!!!

How are your nerves now??
I know, as I sit here in complete chaos..I keep thinking of things I have to do, thought I had it all figured out,..lol
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:21 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
You're right - I was just as naive when I came here. I was just annoyed that the show was painting it as shangri-la and not pointing out to them the obvious issues.

When I came here from Canada, I just assumed they had free health care just like Canada. How stupid I was! My employer gave us coverage so we were fine, but it could just as easily have been a complete disaster. I think that's why I'm so anal about making the decision to go home. This time I want to understand what I'm getting into.
EXACTLY just like us emigrating here, we never even thought about it duh!!!

All those "reality" shows are very "un" real IMHO.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Some people in the UK do look down on people with Scouse accents you know.
Some time ago a nationally taken public opinion poll in the UK voted the Scouse accent (Liverpool/Merseyside area) as the least popular of all British accents, followed on in second place by the next most disliked - the Brummie accent (Birmingham/Black Country).

On the other hand the most popular accent of all was my own local accent - that of Edinburgh Scottish.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Some time ago a nationally taken public opinion poll in the UK voted the Scouse accent (Liverpool/Merseyside area) as the least popular of all British accents, followed on in second place by the next most disliked - the Brummie accent (Birmingham/Black Country).

On the other hand the most popular accent of all was my own local accent - that of Edinburgh Scottish.
Oh, you mean that posh English accent they speak over there in the East?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:59 pm
Home Sweet Home

Boo Hiss!!!! :curse:
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Boo Hiss!!!! :curse:
I'm sorry you don't like this, dear poster. It was the British people at large who partook in that survey of British accents, so the blame for your obvious hissy fit lies entirely with them!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm sorry you don't like this, dear poster. It was the British people at large who partook in that survey of British accents, so the blame for your obvious hissy fit lies entirely with them!
OMG this Steve Erwin part of the Oprah show is breaking my heart..I really liked him, and was very sad when he died. What great kids he has..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.