Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
No way ,please don't do that .

Most (if not all) Brits I know the American accent !

It would be canceling something wonderful about your experiences ,I just wouldn't lol !

My Husband never encountered any negative feelings from his accent ,most people just get to know the person .
The people who want to bash you for an accent ,are seriously NOT WORTH worrying about
I appreciate your response. Really, go to over to this and check out the hatred and venom. Towards the latest posts the mods get involved about disgusting pm's sent to the op.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=701486&page=1
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by aviva
I appreciate your response. Really, go to over to this and check out the hatred and venom. Towards the latest posts the mods get involved about disgusting pm's sent to the op.
I will look later ,I am sorry if you were hurt though ...

Fools at their computers, cliquey and spiteful ...I have seen it before
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

We are SO much more civilized over here on MBTTUK.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Ok ,I have skimmed over masses of it

This is why I tend to stay away from the rest of this forum ,it happens regularly .

Boring banter IMO .

You still have nothing to worry about

I think (unfortunately ) when we see it on a message board, we assume it is a concrete feeling with many .

Not true ,my Husband spent 11 years in the UK ALL in London ,(where one might expect trouble ,in prominent jobs with Joe public ) and yet no negative comments of that ilk were made at all .

If you read the posts/scrutinize them a bit ,you will see they are taking out of their butts !!!!

Sorry ...I just feel very sorry that you would ever need to change YOU and all that YOU are .
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Ok ,I have skimmed over masses of it

This is why I tend to stay away from the rest of this forum ,it happens regularly .

Boring banter IMO .

You still have nothing to worry about

I think (unfortunately ) when we see it on a message board, we assume it is a concrete feeling with many .

Not true ,my Husband spent 11 years in the UK ALL in London ,(where one might expect trouble ,in prominent jobs with Joe public ) and yet no negative comments of that ilk were made at all .

If you read the posts/scrutinize them a bit ,you will see they are taking out of their butts !!!!

Sorry ...I just feel very sorry that you would ever need to change YOU and all that YOU are .
Any thoughts (generalizations to be sure) about reactions in other countries in Europe?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:13 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts (generalizations to be sure) about reactions in other countries in Europe?
I think most Europeans see beyond the American = must be like George Bush mentality, but there are idiots everywhere.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do you mean how you would be received ?

Do I remember correctly ?
You have travelled all over since childhood right ?

My sister is in Norway (16 years ) no negative feelings there either -to name just one more lol !
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Do you mean how you would be received ?

Do I remember correctly ?
You have travelled all over since childhood right ?

My sister is in Norway (16 years ) no negative feelings there either -to name just one more lol !
Wondering how I would be treated, just based on the accent, before they had the opportunity to dislike me for myself. LOL
Yes, I'm one of those stunned, perpetually in a state of culture-shock, dragged around the globe in my formative years, kind of people.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wondering how I would be treated, just based on the accent, before they had the opportunity to dislike me for myself. LOL
Yes, I'm one of those stunned, perpetually in a state of culture-shock, dragged around the globe in my formative years, kind of people.
Don't worry .

Even if you were the most wonderful person in the world, someone would find something wrong lol !

It is understandable that you want to cover all bases ,eliminate all problems -it just can't be done KWIM ?

I sense you are looking/searching for somewhere to call home ....? you will in time

So where are you heading exactly ? do you know yet ?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I will look later ,I am sorry if you were hurt though ...

Fools at their computers, cliquey and spiteful ...I have seen it before
That's the Barbie - a law unto themselves.

I agree it's very unlikely aviva will come across any negativity regarding her accent. A 'coached' British accent is probably going to sound daft.

Sadly I have often encountered people making comments behind someone's back regarding race, but not purely on someone being an American.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:42 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Need a little input here. When I finally get back to UK I'll probably settle in the south of England. I have an American accent, been here 40+ years. I arrived talking like Bob Marley after having been in West Indies for 10 years. Somewhere in the beginning of time I had a Scottish accent.

I was lurking over in an Aussie forum last night and was shocked at the venom spewed against Americans. They (and I realize they are not representative of ALL Aussies) seem to think Americans are pretty much universally hated

I'm thinking maybe (because I'm in LA and there's lots of voice and accent coaches) I should seriously try to get rid of this accent. I want my transition to living and traveling about Europe to be as hassle free as possible.
It's the Aussie way!!! A lot of the threads on The Barbie are tongue in cheek. We Brits like to say that Aussies only like other Aussies......oh and they "hate" the English too and lots of other nations!!

Don't try and change who or what you are, your accent will probably come back of it's own accord gradually anyway.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:57 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I just read that thread and I'm shocked. I feel like I just went back to 1960s Britain. Are those people representative of race attitudes in Australia? If so, I wouldn't last long there.

Aviva, you won't experience that in the UK. But you will get sick of miserable people asking 'why did you want to come back to this dump?' That's the British way and they have no idea how good they have it.

I was watching a show last night about Brits trying to get a dream life in another country. It was about people who want to buy businesses abroad. They were showing this family who were trying to buy a business in Florida and their naivete about American life was scary. They never once mentioned health care - and as self-employed middle-aged people that really should have been their first question.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 20th 2011 at 7:00 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Wow, I just read that thread and I'm shocked. I feel like I just went back to 1960s Britain. Are those people representative of race attitudes in Australia? If so, I wouldn't last long there.
I've wondered that - I think they might just be racist Brits who left 'because of all the immigrants'.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
It's the Aussie way!!! A lot of the threads on The Barbie are tongue in cheek. We Brits like to say that Aussies only like other Aussies......oh and they "hate" the English too and lots of other nations!!

Don't try and change who or what you are, your accent will probably come back of it's own accord gradually anyway.
Ah I didn't see the thread you are talking about until now, I thought you were talking about the "most over rated Yanks" thread which was a follow on to "most over rated Aussies" and "most over rated Brits" threads.

I see this post as being like a load of tanked up men sitting around the bbq spouting forth their rubbish (as men do ) and I don't get involved just like I wouldn't in real life.

And TBH I question the original poster. I have never heard anybody being spoken to in that manner whatever nationality and then applauded by the rest of the patrons.

Sometimes people start threads up for a bit of action......
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beedubya

Sometimes people start threads up for a bit of action......
Yes,I agree with you .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.