Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:30 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Here you all are! You keep moving but you can't get away from me

So since this is a chit-chat thread, I have a couple of questions for you all ...

1) What is the thing you're most looking forward to about being back in the UK?

2) What scares you the most about making the move?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Just saying Hi !
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:28 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
I asked Pollyana to move us back where people can find us in the Moving Back main area rather than Rovers Return. Have no idea why we were jumped to where people would have a difficult time finding us.
As this is a chit-chat thread I moved it to the Rovers Return which is for chit-chat. Otherwise the main MBTTUK forum gets too cluttered and it's hard to find the serious stuff.

As you were
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

So since this is a chit-chat thread, I have a couple of questions for you all ...

Its a bit early in the morning, but here goes....

1) green fields, proper robins, country lanes, old stone walls, fish n chips, cream teas, not having to explain what I'm talking about AGAIN! many more but don't want to take up all the space

2) people thinking I'm Canadian, not being able to cope with the weather, missing the sun more than I think I will, living in a teeny tiny house.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:14 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
2) people thinking I'm Canadian, not being able to cope with the weather, missing the sun more than I think I will, living in a teeny tiny house.
I worry about the weather and house size too.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is having all our oldest friends over for a house-warming party.

The things I'm most scared of are a) that I'll miss the sun and b) that my husband will hate it and wish we'd never moved. Since I'm driving this move, that would make me feel very guilty.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok this is easy peasy lemon squeazy. The number one thing I'm most looking forward to is the sense of being back where I belonging. Secondly, the British sense of humor, you just can't find it anywhere else in the world. Third, having friends and neighbors that I can pop round for a coffee with without having to make an appointment. The British countryside, the food, the broadmindedness, the tele, the NHS, I could go on and on .... and some times I do

What I'm least looking forward to is the lack of sunny days in the winter. I can't really think of anything else apart from the weather
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Good topic Sally

1) Feeling like the real authentic ME, family, the green fields, the church spires in the distance and other hidden treasures as your eye alights upon ever changing scenery, interesting, historical places to visit and going to places I have only read about, British food but not too much this time. Going to a family wedding 2 weeks after I get back. The nearness and cheapness (I hope) to Europe if you need a dose of sunshine.

2) Missing my kids and grand-kids in Australia and feeling guilty like I did last time. Going to the UK with virtually no money, no furniture, no car............starting all over again at 57.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 18th 2011 at 5:50 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

1. Being home, shopping and cooking foods we know and love. Family close by.

2. Family being too close by when we get there, we'll all be squashed in Mums house, After we've been there a whileI may just buy her a ticket to my sister in Spain for a month to let us settle in without her.
Getting Dh to be excited and not afraid.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
1. Being home, shopping and cooking foods we know and love. Family close by.

2. Family being too close by when we get there, we'll all be squashed in Mums house, After we've been there a whileI may just buy her a ticket to my sister in Spain for a month to let us settle in without her.
Getting Dh to be excited and not afraid.
I think you are much younger than us Pauline (??) don't feel comfortable calling you Mummy LOL!!

When do you plan on going back and how do your kids feel about it?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Good topic Sally

1) Feeling like the real authentic ME, family, the green fields, the church spires in the distance and other hidden treasures as your eye alights upon ever changing scenery, interesting, historical places to visit and going to places I have only read about
Oh yes, you reminded me of another one...hearing the church bells ringing on a warm summer's evening, oh yes, and daffodils in the Spring
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beachgal21
Ok this is easy peasy lemon squeazy.

I love that expression...you really made me laugh....can't remember if its a British one or not??
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:13 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Oh yes, you reminded me of another one...hearing the church bells ringing on a warm summer's evening, oh yes, and daffodils in the Spring
And little new born lambs frolicking in the meadow, ha ha sounds like Darling Buds of May.

Photo taken in the Lake District.
Attached Thumbnails Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up-dscf0534.jpg  
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

The things I'm most scared of are b) that my husband will hate it and wish we'd never moved. Since I'm driving this move, that would make me feel very guilty.
Sally, our situation has some similarities to yours in that we've been away for 30 years, no kids and most of the time neither of us have been homesick, even though we had been back for family visits many times. Its only fairly recently that I've been thinking about going back and my husband was never all that interested, so I didn't push it.

But you know, when we went back again last year and a) had gorgeous weather b) a wonderful time walking and driving around the countryside etc. and c) the combination of the exchange rate and cost of buying a house has changed dramatically, that now he too is fully on board (actually I can't believe it).

So, maybe you need another visit, especially to a place you might consider moving to, and can afford to live
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

And little new born lambs frolicking in the meadow, ha ha sounds like Darling Buds of May.

Photo taken in the Lake District.
YESSS!!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are much younger than us Pauline (??) don't feel comfortable calling you Mummy LOL!!

When do you plan on going back and how do your kids feel about it?
I've got gray hair! Well I have been graying since my late teens so maybe that doesn't count. I am nearly 50 (according to Dh) we'll be 49 this year. I just like child spacing, we have a 22 17 and 6 year olds. Oldest is there already, 17 year old can't wait and want to be a British Policeman, (like my late step father, the only grandad he's known) 6 year old has no clue, she just wants to have fun. and see grandma fingers crossed we go in 2012. Ds has to graduate high school first. and we have a house to sell. and no where else to live.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Jan 18th 2011 at 7:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.