Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:35 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I have Corrie'd myself out today since I came home (Windsong some great episodes, Tracy Barlow!!!! ), watched The Royle Family Christmas Special, an old Freddie Starr special (I love him, he is so crackers LOL!!) and am off now to watch whatever Brit TV Christmas stuff I can, there is supposed to be a really funny Ronnie Corbett special, talking of Two Fat Ladies and Nigella cookery shows as you have been these past few days............what about the Two Hairy Bikers..........some good UK TV going on on my laptop as sadly to say Aussie Christmas TV is as abysmal as ever............
I LOVED the Royle Family Christmas special. I think that might have been the best episode ever. Poor Joe when they told him Mary was in the Dyson!

I downloaded Upstairs Downstairs, which started last night but haven't seen it yet.

I'm envying your hot weather as hubby and I are about to go out and tackle phase 2 of our drive clearing operation after we had 15 inches of snow. UGH! Where's my shovel? ...
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I LOVED the Royle Family Christmas special. I think that might have been the best episode ever. Poor Joe when they told him Mary was in the Dyson!

I downloaded Upstairs Downstairs, which started last night but haven't seen it yet.

I'm envying your hot weather as hubby and I are about to go out and tackle phase 2 of our drive clearing operation after we had 15 inches of snow. UGH! Where's my shovel? ...
Where can I find the Royal Family Christmas Special? I am in the U.S. Is it about THE Royal Family?

I thought the new series of Upstairs Downstairs was to start in 2011, although we are close. I wonder if I can find that on YouTube.

Feeling better today but nowhere near strong enough to do too much. Even though I was sick right through Christmas I am grateful it happened then and not during work time because of my new job. I go back to work tomorrow for three days and off again on Friday for New Year's Eve. I am not sure I am ready to have my brain taxed to the max yet but I don't have much choice. I should be even better tomorrow, though.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hello to everybody on here. I had a very nice HOT Christmas with my daughter, her fiance and my grand-kids. It was about 90 degrees F too hot to eat until about 6pm.

Well that was my last HOT Aussie Christmas over thank you very much.

Got all kinds of mosquito bites, ate too much, drank too much.......hic....but still alive to tell the tale.

I managed to convert my daughter's fiance's niece to Mr Kipling Mince Pies, so that was a winner.

We set up the kid's laptops on Christmas morning our end with the Brit Christmas Eve at my sisters place and they all 10 of them watched the grand-kids open their Christmas presents with lots of oohs and aahs.....it was such a laugh, praise be to Skype.

Have had a really nice weekend here in Australia, but am so looking forward to my next Christmas in the UK. Still having mixed feelings and collywobbles but I am sure I will be OK.

I have Corrie'd myself out today since I came home (Windsong some great episodes, Tracy Barlow!!!! ), watched The Royle Family Christmas Special, an old Freddie Starr special (I love him, he is so crackers LOL!!) and am off now to watch whatever Brit TV Christmas stuff I can, there is supposed to be a really funny Ronnie Corbett special, talking of Two Fat Ladies and Nigella cookery shows as you have been these past few days............what about the Two Hairy Bikers..........some good UK TV going on on my laptop as sadly to say Aussie Christmas TV is as abysmal as ever............
Hi Bee - Glad you got to watch all that British TV I watched Corrie St and got up to date with the Tracy Barlow situation. I was so grateful it ran on Christmas Day. That was a really nice surprise for me.

Today is only the second day after Christmas and in the U.S. it's already all over

I am feeling a little better today. I could do with another day off before returning to work tomorrow but I will be okay. I only work three days this week as we are off again on Friday.

I was going to ask how you got mosquito bites in December but I forgot you are "down under" lol!
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:46 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

No Windsong, it's not about the Queen - we have been discussing it for the last few weeks. It's a comedy about a working class British family up north.

Here's the Xmas special on Youtube:

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSbNz_BngHc
Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8L3ZRlGdfk
Part Three:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OumsytEHRw
Part Four: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWTOxfS92Ns

Upstairs Downstairs started last night and runs for 3 nights.

Anyone heard from Fish n Chips recently? He's awfully quiet. I hope everything is OK.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

No Windsong, it's not about the Queen - we have been discussing it for the last few weeks. It's a comedy about a working class British family up north.

Anyone heard from Fish n Chips recently? He's awfully quiet. I hope everything is OK.
Thank you so much, Sally I hadn't been paying too much attention to mentions of it and merely though it probably referred to the the Queen's Christmas message and perhaps a short program about the family. Now I have a new UK program to watch. I love it!!

I just started watching it now. Are they bl**dy gormless or what !!!! lol

Last edited by windsong; Dec 27th 2010 at 4:58 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

I've been thinking the same Sally - I was trying to remember if Fish said he'd be away for a while? Funny how you miss people on here.......
How did the snow clearance go (good exercise!)? I have to go out again and sweep the front ......
Old Dec 27th 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL
Orange pekoe isn't a type of tea but a grade of tea leaves based upon the size/characteristic of the leaves themselves.

Within whole leaf grades the quality ranges from ordinary (OP=Orange Pekoe) to extraordinary (SFTGFOP(1) - Special Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe).

The real fun begins, when people say how much they love their orange-flavoured Orange Pekoe tea especially since the word "orange" in this instance has nothing to do with flavour.

Thank you all for attending this mini Tea 101 class.
That was very interesting, Denise, thank you! When is the next class?
Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:04 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thank you for that, so Orange pekoe and pekoe cut black mean it's not as high a quality/grade?

Correct, but you generally won't find a high quality pekoe in teabag tea. Companies like Mighty Leaf, Harney and others are, however, producing some very high quality teabags that contain whole leaf tea.

The interesting thing is, though (and research supports this) ... people of the UK are just so attuned to the taste of their tea (PG, etc) the way it is, that even if it meant higher quality, they wouldn't want it. They expect a certain taste in their tea, and they don't want any changes.

The 'younger generation' appear to be much more open to experimentation and trying new teas (flavoured, fruit, etc.) than the 'older generation' who are more than satisfied with the same old bold, strong black tea - usually with milk. There are a number of up and coming British tea companies who are run by young people and who are really pushing the tea envelope.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:05 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Tanto
That was very interesting, Denise, thank you! When is the next class?

LOL
Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Orange pekoe isn't a type of tea but a grade of tea leaves based upon the size/characteristic of the leaves themselves.

Within whole leaf grades the quality ranges from ordinary (OP=Orange Pekoe) to extraordinary (SFTGFOP(1) - Special Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe).

The real fun begins, when people say how much they love their orange-flavoured Orange Pekoe tea especially since the word "orange" in this instance has nothing to do with flavour.

Thank you all for attending this mini Tea 101 class.
Thanks, DDL. I really appreciate this because I have totally forgotten what good tea is. I would welcome more lessons.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 7:27 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

sally; Fish said that he would be off line for a week or so over Christmas, gone off some where for the holidays.

Anyone else tried Red Bush (Rooibos) tea, DH has converted to it from Assam, no caffeine, high anti-oxidents, says it is more refreshing, drinks it with slice lemon or with nothing.
In US we bought Assam (and Rooibos) in 1 lb bags loose leaves from ethnic Asian stores.

Dontheturne: sorry to hear your palms failed after not wrapping them for the winter; make a note, Cordyline Australis are the most hardy and generally do not need wrapping if not in exposed position. The are many in this region, people buy them initially because they are attractive spiky shrub but they do mature up to 10m tall
Attached Thumbnails Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up-cordyline-australis-specime.jpg  

Last edited by J.J; Dec 27th 2010 at 7:45 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 8:06 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by J.J
Anyone else tried Red Bush (Rooibos) tea, DH has converted to it from Assam, no caffeine, high anti-oxidents, says it is more refreshing, drinks it with slice lemon or with nothing.
Excellent choice! I like Rooibos (pronounced "roy bus") a lot, especially flavoured Rooibos

Not technically a tea at all (because it does not contain the leaves of the tea bush camellia sinensis), it is a plant that grows in South Africa.

My favourite is Harney & Son's "African Autumn" cranberry-orange flavoured Rooibos: http://bit.ly/bvJRRc
Old Dec 27th 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Excellent choice! I like Rooibos (pronounced "roy bus") a lot, especially flavoured Rooibos

Not technically a tea at all (because it does not contain the leaves of the tea bush camellia sinensis), it is a plant that grows in South Africa.

My favourite is Harney & Son's "African Autumn" cranberry-orange flavoured Rooibos: http://bit.ly/bvJRRc
I must see if I can find Rooibus tea in the stores. If not, I will buy some online. This sounds good.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sallysimmons.....The snow is bad enough but the winds are horrendous almost blow you over. Makes it so much colder and when you are clearing the driveway it just makes it harder. Not enjoying this.

DDL and JJ...Thanks for the information on tea I pop down to the British store in Peabody and get my tea its quite a bit cheaper than Amazon. I did try Punja tea but when your not use to such strong tea its a bit overwhelming. I got that make from Christmas Tree shops but dont much care for it.

Charleygirl...Hows the storm treating you. Do you have the high winds we are having you must have unless you moved over Christmas.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:12 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sallysimmons.....The snow is bad enough but the winds are horrendous almost blow you over. Makes it so much colder and when you are clearing the driveway it just makes it harder. Not enjoying this.
I'm with you there! We finally got done although it took 3 separate digging sessions with both my husband and I working flat out. Awful!

Mind you, we did have a good laugh when we had finally reach the bottom of the drive, aching all over and wheezing with the effort. We stood back to admire our handiwork, at which point the snow plow truck came by for the first time all day and threw another two feet of snow up over the bit we had just finished. All you can do is laugh otherwise you'd start crying and never stop!

Thanks JJ, for the word on Fish. I can stop worrying now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.