Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 27th 2010, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by fulwood
windsong, not sure you have these stores but they are called and Fresh and Easy. they have their own brand cost $1.98 for 100. and honestly they are not bad at all. i hate lipton have to put 2 teabags in to get any decent strength in my tea. i let teabags sit for 3-4 mins and honestly I think a pretty decent cuppa. they sell pg tips or typhoo but like $7 for 48. bit much for my budget. i could send you some at my cost...
Thats coz they are owned by Tesco..
Old Dec 27th 2010, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

yep i shop there quite a bit..
Old Dec 27th 2010, 12:36 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Love it, Cheers. That was funny

I have a question - a trivial one - but one to which I would love to find an answer. What teabags available in the U.S. most closely resemble good British teabags? Lipton teabags seem full of dye or tannin (not sure how you spell that) and Red Rose are as weak as water. Loose tea seems the best but is messy to make. (Can you tell I have been away from Britain a while and forgotten how to make a good cup of tea?)
Go to the nearest Cost Plus World market they have everything. We buy Ty-Phoo cheaper than PG tips but just as nice to us.
Lipton and red rose are Orange pekoe and Black tea. PG Tips and Ty-phoo are black tea only. theres the difference.

If theres no World Market, then look in Wal Mart for Tetley British blend, not quite as strong but better than Lipton water.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Go to the nearest Cost Plus World market they have everything. We buy Ty-Phoo cheaper than PG tips but just as nice to us.
Lipton and red rose are Orange pekoe and Black tea. PG Tips and Ty-phoo are black tea only. theres the difference.

If theres no World Market, then look in Wal Mart for Tetley British blend, not quite as strong but better than Lipton water.
YES! We have Cost Plus World Market. We don't have Fresh and Easy in my state. Thanks to all who responded. I have put up with all these weak and willing teabags ever since I have been here. The loose tea is pretty good but once in a while a teabag is quicker, especially for one person or one cup. I will be at Cost Plus tomorrow! Why didn't I think of them! Thank you

By the way, which is better - Typhoo or PG Tips?
Old Dec 27th 2010, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Oh Cheers.. my first laugh today......thank you!!
Don you must be getting very excited.........
Stay warm and happy everyone.
Charley Girl,
Thank you for thinking of me , but between now and Feb, a new 'friend' arrived from UK, courting a lovely lady friend of Tim's , and he has proposed and been accepted- so the Monks will be at her home on Saturday 1st, and do the Blessing service - at which time, I said I would do the photographs for free.(the service is at 8 am, and since they are located about 30 kms from here, we shall be early up). Then on the 5th Feb, Tim's eldest daughter, (Cake) goes into Hospital for a Caesarean Section, and as she lives with her husband in Khon Kaen, some four hours Coach journey from here, Tim will go to her, for some days.So, Excited? I am getting high! love dontheturner
Old Dec 27th 2010, 2:20 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
YES! We have Cost Plus World Market. We don't have Fresh and Easy in my state. Thanks to all who responded. I have put up with all these weak and willing teabags ever since I have been here. The loose tea is pretty good but once in a while a teabag is quicker, especially for one person or one cup. I will be at Cost Plus tomorrow! Why didn't I think of them! Thank you

By the way, which is better - Typhoo or PG Tips?
PG Tips is stronger, but both taste good, your choice, I go by price
If you are going to be in the country a while longer, sign up with them for the rewards program. I punch my phone number in before every transaction and they send me coupons, I got a $10 off if you spend $10 or more the other week and a $10 of when you spend $30 as well. Defiantly worth it. and all the Christmas Chocolate will be on sale, I got Cadburys tin of biscuits for half off the other day.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Dec 27th 2010 at 2:22 am.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

PG Tips is stronger, but both taste good, your choice, I go by price
If you are going to be in the country a while longer, sign up with them for the rewards program. I punch my phone number in before every transaction and they send me coupons, I got a $10 off if you spend $10 or more the other week and a $10 of when you spend $30 as well. Defiantly worth it. and all the Christmas Chocolate will be on sale, I got Cadburys tin of biscuits for half off the other day.
Thank you, Mummy. I may go there tomorrow
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Charley Girl,
Thank you for thinking of me , but between now and Feb, a new 'friend' arrived from UK, courting a lovely lady friend of Tim's , and he has proposed and been accepted- so the Monks will be at her home on Saturday 1st, and do the Blessing service - at which time, I said I would do the photographs for free.(the service is at 8 am, and since they are located about 30 kms from here, we shall be early up). Then on the 5th Feb, Tim's eldest daughter, (Cake) goes into Hospital for a Caesarean Section, and as she lives with her husband in Khon Kaen, some four hours Coach journey from here, Tim will go to her, for some days.So, Excited? I am getting high! love dontheturner
Well Charleygirl Got that all wrong. it is Not Feb , It is January 5 th. Sorry, dontheturner
Old Dec 27th 2010, 5:22 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Well Charleygirl Got that all wrong. it is Not Feb , It is January 5 th. Sorry, dontheturner
So will this be Tim's first grandchild? We want to see the baby pictures
Congratulations Grandad
Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

So will this be Tim's first grandchild? We want to see the baby pictures
Congratulations Grandad
No not the first, But unfortunately, Cake has a big problem, with her lymph glands, in the neck, so has had very extended sickness while carrying.( so is dying to ''expel@' .

Her youngest daughter, (Chompoo) married to Chaichad and running a small supermarket, which they own, has a little boy, now 2+ (totally uncontrolled, as they all are here) his name is Cheetah.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 8:03 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PhilipTapper
i would love to hear more about safe house' for returning ex-pats and the price, your looking for, its really good idea Tanto what made you came up with that idea, i live in UK and may be i can help you in that direction
Hello Philip, I have just looked at the history of your past posts and you don't seem to have English as your first language. What is your interest in Tanto's idea?
Old Dec 27th 2010, 8:44 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to everybody on here. I had a very nice HOT Christmas with my daughter, her fiance and my grand-kids. It was about 90 degrees F too hot to eat until about 6pm.

Well that was my last HOT Aussie Christmas over thank you very much.

Got all kinds of mosquito bites, ate too much, drank too much.......hic....but still alive to tell the tale.

I managed to convert my daughter's fiance's niece to Mr Kipling Mince Pies, so that was a winner.

We set up the kid's laptops on Christmas morning our end with the Brit Christmas Eve at my sisters place and they all 10 of them watched the grand-kids open their Christmas presents with lots of oohs and aahs.....it was such a laugh, praise be to Skype.

Have had a really nice weekend here in Australia, but am so looking forward to my next Christmas in the UK. Still having mixed feelings and collywobbles but I am sure I will be OK.

I have Corrie'd myself out today since I came home (Windsong some great episodes, Tracy Barlow!!!! ), watched The Royle Family Christmas Special, an old Freddie Starr special (I love him, he is so crackers LOL!!) and am off now to watch whatever Brit TV Christmas stuff I can, there is supposed to be a really funny Ronnie Corbett special, talking of Two Fat Ladies and Nigella cookery shows as you have been these past few days............what about the Two Hairy Bikers..........some good UK TV going on on my laptop as sadly to say Aussie Christmas TV is as abysmal as ever............
Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:02 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Orange pekoe isn't a type of tea but a grade of tea leaves based upon the size/characteristic of the leaves themselves.

Within whole leaf grades the quality ranges from ordinary (OP=Orange Pekoe) to extraordinary (SFTGFOP(1) - Special Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe).

The real fun begins, when people say how much they love their orange-flavoured Orange Pekoe tea especially since the word "orange" in this instance has nothing to do with flavour.

Thank you all for attending this mini Tea 101 class.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by DDL
Orange pekoe isn't a type of tea but a grade of tea leaves based upon the size/characteristic of the leaves themselves.

Within whole leaf grades the quality ranges from ordinary (OP=Orange Pekoe) to extraordinary (SFTGFOP(1) - Special Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe).

The real fun begins, when people say how much they love their orange-flavoured Orange Pekoe tea especially since the word "orange" in this instance has nothing to do with flavour.

Thank you all for attending this mini Tea 101 class.
Thank you for that, so Orange pekoe and pekoe cut black mean it's not as high a quality/grade?
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by Sentosa
Looks like we will be home by spring.
Had offer on the house after only 4 weeks on the market
Now I need to find a home for my cat, just can't bring her home
Congratulations.
We have a kitty that will need to be re homed too. She's an odd cat so set in her ways and no way will she like the move never mind an attempt to move countries. My friend said she'd take her and keep her locked in for a month or so, before allowing her to be in and out but she has other cats and ours is Mrs Antisocial.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.