Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 14th 2018, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by aries

Perhaps a different agent will be more successful. My neighbour has been trying to sell his flat for 6 months, but he’s optmistically and greedily asking £30,000 more than he paid last year, and there are a lot of properties for sale in Torbay. He’s already bought another flat in the area to live in, so although his patience is being pushed, he can afford to wait.
From the first listing day to mid summer we did get an offer and it was £31000 less than listing price! That fell through and we reduced price twice and got not a single new viewing. It is just the times we live in closer to London! Just come back from Dawlish and we loved the small town! I felt sad leaving Devon. Oh well there is next year again!
Old Oct 14th 2018, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
We are wanting to move down to SW Dorset or Devon to get more peace and quiet but cannot sell house. Monday will be giving agents notice to pull the listing for the winter!
I see you're based in South Bucks, and am idly wondering whereabouts. Our son was born in High Wycombe forty-odd years ago, in "The Shrubbery". My wife was heavily pregnant when we entered England that Easter, and we rented a farmhouse at Cadmore End for a few months. (Chosen at random from "The Lady"; we had no local connections.) All I remember about the place is the snow (!), besides the birth, of course. The son has been a rabid Wycombe Wanderers supporter since his early teens, although the only time he's lived in England was at a boarding school up north. It's a nice part of the world - though maybe not in High Wycombe itself!
Old Oct 28th 2018, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone

so nice to see so many of the old names still posting. I was so sad to read about Jasper and his Mothers passings but he got his wish and returned home to take care of his Mum and was really happy, we corresponded for a while till his Mum got ill. It was difficult for him to see her so ill but he was happy to be home.

I am doing fine i have had both knees replaced and my health is good, sadly my husband is going down the road of Alzheimer’s and as good days and bad days. I still have have the desire to go home one day May do that my daughter who moved in with me to help with her Dad said she would come with me if I ever decided to make the move.

I have had two friends move home and although finacially its difficult they love the way of life.

Best Wishes to all of you.

Old Oct 28th 2018, 4:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Best Wishes to all of you.

Best wishes to you also.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

trottytrue how wonderful to see you again here after all this time! Yes, it was a shame about Jasper, his Mum of course was very old and they had a good few years together since he came home, which he was so happy about. But it seems a shame he went so soon as well.

So good to hear from you. I am very glad to hear your health is good now. But so sorry about your husband's condition. It's excellent news though that your daughter has moved in to help AND that she would make the move back to the Uk with you if that time comes. That is wonderful—a huge deal! As I recall, the thought of leaving your daughter was always one of the things holding you back.

I don't come here often now so I am extra glad I came back in time to get the email alert that you had posted!
Old Oct 29th 2018, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trotty so nice to hear from you again! Sorry to hear about hubs....must be hard for you. Where are you living now?
Old Oct 29th 2018, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Between two worlds- lovely to see your postings.. hope all is well with you.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Hi Between two worlds- lovely to see your postings.. hope all is well with you.
Thanks Shelley, yes, all is well! I am still so happy to be back in the UK....
Old Apr 30th 2019, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to this thread/forum?

Last edited by Downton Gabby; Apr 30th 2019 at 3:31 am.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Glad you have asked, Gabby! Thus bumping it up and reminding people it is here. It used to be so active, and such a valuable source of support for those a bit later in life who longed to go back to the UK. It has been a resource for emotional support, finding others in the same situation, some practical info, and the "catching up" part of the title referred to the way it had become a community. Many people who began posting as expats continued to post and be part of the conversation long after they had come back home (like Jasper/Rodney, RIP).

Of course it's natural that once people are back in the UK, they post less as they try to re-insert themselves in life here, and of course their own need for the expat community's support is gone now they are no longer expat themselves. I'm in that situation...busy just living, less urgency to read and post...I feel a bit guilty about it, as the posts of others who had moved back were always helpful to me as I waited to do the same.

However, I did hope new expats would come on and keep the conversation going!

Just the other day I did come back to the forums and I recommended this thread to a newly-joined member, because I thought past discussions here could be helpful to that person...

Let's hope others also discover it, keep it going, and shape it to their own current needs.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am still here lurking- still in Ontario- have not closed the door on going back at some point BUT it depends on what happens with the Brexit fiasco. Very concerned about lack of policing in the UK and "hate crime"- seems not enough police people and they spend more time looking on Social media for Hate crimes than going out in the real world stopping crime.
Where I live in Canada, we do not have the level of crime seen in the UK. It is a major concern to me. Other concerns- healthcare- again NHS overwhelmed- okay so Canada is also having health crisis but nothing like the levels of UK- so we wait and see what happens!
Old Apr 30th 2019, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Thanks Shelley, yes, all is well! I am still so happy to be back in the UK....

How long have you been back? What are your observations? Where did you end up?
Old Apr 30th 2019, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Shelley, yes, your concerns about overwhelmed police and over whelmed NHS are legitimate, I totally understand.

I'm back in Gloucestershire, where I lived as a teenager and where many family members have been all the years I was overseas, so it's where I always came back to. For me the yearning to come back here to lve was about the history, landscape, culture, and family--and of course the feel of belonging; despite those issues you mention, the things I love about England can still be found—cathedrals, villages, the countryside, the layers of history. Yes, much to worry about, much under threat (eg far fewer songbirds than in my childhood), but still so much that is wonderful.
Old May 1st 2019, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Shelley, yes, your concerns about overwhelmed police and over whelmed NHS are legitimate, I totally understand.

I'm back in Gloucestershire, where I lived as a teenager and where many family members have been all the years I was overseas, so it's where I always came back to. For me the yearning to come back here to lve was about the history, landscape, culture, and family--and of course the feel of belonging; despite those issues you mention, the things I love about England can still be found—cathedrals, villages, the countryside, the layers of history. Yes, much to worry about, much under threat (eg far fewer songbirds than in my childhood), but still so much that is wonderful.
Hi BTW Glad you are happy- I have a Dad 87 who lives in Dorset- I go back each year to visit him- only child so he is a concern but doesnt want to move here with me, understandably. Not sure what to do once he passes- may rent out house until I figure it out...I miss the UK countryside but I live in countryside in Canada so it would be a big shock moving back to not much space. Time will tell I guess.
Old May 2nd 2019, 7:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Glad you have asked, Gabby! Thus bumping it up and reminding people it is here. It used to be so active, and such a valuable source of support for those a bit later in life who longed to go back to the UK. It has been a resource for emotional support, finding others in the same situation, some practical info, and the "catching up" part of the title referred to the way it had become a community. Many people who began posting as expats continued to post and be part of the conversation long after they had come back home (like Jasper/Rodney, RIP).

Of course it's natural that once people are back in the UK, they post less as they try to re-insert themselves in life here, and of course their own need for the expat community's support is gone now they are no longer expat themselves. I'm in that situation...busy just living, less urgency to read and post...I feel a bit guilty about it, as the posts of others who had moved back were always helpful to me as I waited to do the same.

However, I did hope new expats would come on and keep the conversation going!

Just the other day I did come back to the forums and I recommended this thread to a newly-joined member, because I thought past discussions here could be helpful to that person...

Let's hope others also discover it, keep it going, and shape it to their own current needs.
Hear, hear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.