Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Aug 22nd 2018, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
We are good.
We are looking for Jasper 123.
Will someone go and knock on his door?
Cheers
Hi Cheers! And Hello to you all. Yes, its Don the turner - Jasper passed away soon after his Mum did, some time ago. I and my Thai Wife, were back on holiday, for the whole of July Just gone) - but nearer to the Laos Cambodia Border than previously, and if we can possibly get the right pounds together, we aim to go back, and stay there for ever! I am now 88 , and fairly OK, but do have an enlarged heart, which means loads of tablets! Please be in touch, anyone who wants to chat! Please Dontheturner.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness Don, amazing to hear from you! Back in Thailand and wanting to stay there and start a new lease of life at 88! Well, good for you.

Thank you so much for telling us the sad news about Jasper/Rodney. I didn't know his Mum had died, though he may have posted that? and it's no surprise as she was a good ripe age. But for him to go so quickly...that is sad.

I think there will be an outpouring of comment from others who remember his constant, friendly and supportive presence here.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Cheers! And Hello to you all. Yes, its Don the turner - Jasper passed away soon after his Mum did, some time ago. I and my Thai Wife, were back on holiday, for the whole of July Just gone) - but nearer to the Laos Cambodia Border than previously, and if we can possibly get the right pounds together, we aim to go back, and stay there for ever! I am now 88 , and fairly OK, but do have an enlarged heart, which means loads of tablets! Please be in touch, anyone who wants to chat! Please Dontheturner.
It is so lovely to hear from you dontheturner and also everyone else popping up recently . I miss you all when you are not about .

Thank you SO MUCH dontheturner for letting us all know the sad news about Jasper123. Very kind. I hope his passing was peaceful.

Rather odd to think of him gone. I shall always remember him as a happy helpful chap.

regards
BEVS
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no...what sad news. We miss him.

Sorry to hear about your health problems too...hopefully with meds you can lead a happy life.

We are always here if you want to chat. Please don’t forget about us. All the best with your quest to get back.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, that is so sad about Rodney. He really held this group together for a long time. May he rest in peace!
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Hello Don, it's nice to hear from you. Hope you are managing the health issues ok and that you are both happy. Hope the move works out for you. Thanks for letting everyone know about Rodney, he gave a lot of himself on this page and he certainly will be missed. Take care of you both and keep us posted on your move.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

I'm still around.
Cheers
Old Aug 24th 2018, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all- so sad to hear about Rodney and his Mum passing over. Happy to hear from some familiar names and hope we can start this up again? What does everyone think? I was toying with the idea of returning to the UK but to be honest, I am in 2 minds...hubby and I want to travel a bit down in the USA for winters RV'ing in our retirement( in 2 years god willing). I did say to him the other day , " well....can you see you or me shovelling bloody snow when we are 80?" so its not ruled out LOL- sister in law has just moved from Dorset to Bideford in Devon and loves it...
Old Aug 25th 2018, 5:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by shelley748
Hi all- so sad to hear about Rodney and his Mum passing over. Happy to hear from some familiar names and hope we can start this up again? What does everyone think? I was toying with the idea of returning to the UK but to be honest, I am in 2 minds...hubby and I want to travel a bit down in the USA for winters RV'ing in our retirement( in 2 years god willing). I did say to him the other day , " well....can you see you or me shovelling bloody snow when we are 80?" so its not ruled out LOL- sister in law has just moved from Dorset to Bideford in Devon and loves it...
I'm still of a mind to resettle in the UK . I'd like the proximity of friends family and easy hols in the UK and on the Continent.

Recently though we have toyed with the idea of becoming 'keyfree' for a bit and doing a little travelling here and there before resettling.

I simply cannot seeing me living out my adage here in New Zealand . It just doesn't suit me.
Old Aug 25th 2018, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Hello Shelley, Added to my Wife and I, going back to Thailand for a holiday - (And perhaps moving back to end my days there) was the ongoing problem, of my Daughter Christine's Husband having a Cancerous growth in the stomach, and not wanting to wait, over the previous Christmas, for an operation. So they decided to ask the Senior Consultant - how quickly, and the cost, if they paid him to get it done privately- - No problem - within a few days, and £14,000. - So they paid and it was done, and would you believe - he told my daughter, (while he was in recovery) - Oh! by the way, I removed his Prostate while I was in there, to save trouble later on! - She confided in me - Their sex life had be non-existant all their life!. He died within three days. - Within the following year,.... Another friendly couple in the family - Vic & Mary - Mary died - and Then My Daughter Got with Vic (He lived in Devon) and was in the process of moving home - they have now got together - and she has sold her Bungalow near here- and has moved to Devon, so before we went to Thailand for our July holiday, we attended their Wedding! - Christine has now bought a Cottage Near Porthmadoc - as a Holiday let, for the family to use!- HOW TIME FLIES! Shelley - I can recommend Devon - Do have a look on Google Earth at TOTNES! You will love it Take Care ALL you folks!
Old Aug 25th 2018, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

I love to think of this thread going on even when I am busy with life, and of being able to pop back on and find everyone still here! But of course if everyone gets busy with life,no-one will post....!!

Winters in the USA with Rv, wow interesting, but I guess you mean the southern parts, not the snow parts??!! As you say, shovelling snow in your 80s isn't a good idea. I have often wondered what RV-ing would be like...

"In 2 minds about returning to the Uk...." well, lots of people are, and it's understandable after many years away. I am so glad to be back though it's true the dark days in winter can get me down...I don't mind the cold that much because it doesn't last and it is rarely as bitterly cold as it was in pennsylvania (USA)!
Old Aug 25th 2018, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I am still here too - although a bit of a name change (was perthhomeschool).

I did know about Rodney's mum but not about Rodney. How terribly sad. I so enjoyed his posts. I have to say I am not entirely surprised that he passed so soon after his mum. She was his world. RIP to them both.

Don, so much happening in your life! I wish you luck with returning to Thailand. I used to go to boarding school right outside of Totnes at Dartington Hall. Lovely part of the country. Seriously considered Devon when we came back but too much rain. Now in sunny (and mostly dry) Norfolk.

BEVS, keyfree is great! We sold our house in Florida, and now rent. We can live anywhere we want now. And someone else has to take care of the repairs. Don't know if we will ever own again to be honest. No car either. Public transport or taxis work just fine. And just yesterday we signed the final papers on the sale of our biz in the USA. Funds will be out of the bank as soon as in as it will all go to pay for DD's wedding. Still, we are without responsibilities and without debt for the first time. It feels good.

Great to hear from some old posters. Hope you all keep it up. And maybe others will join in now we got this thing going again!

Seriously tempted to go back to the beginning of this thread and start all over again!
Old Aug 25th 2018, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey Perth! Keyfree eh? sounds interesting...the freedom appeals, yet I sort of want that sense of my own home base....carfree yes, we are doing that.

Yes, great to see old names coming back...
Old Aug 25th 2018, 9:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Hey Perth! Keyfree eh? sounds interesting...the freedom appeals, yet I sort of want that sense of my own home base....carfree yes, we are doing that.

Yes, great to see old names coming back...
My vote goes to owning your own home. I was brought up in a council house...my mum always dreamed of having her own house. Maybe that’s why I am in favour of Home ownership. Although you may have to fork out for the odd repair/upgrade from time to time...it is an asset which will increase in value...especially if you buy in the right neighborhood.

To me renting means I can be asked to leave when the lease expires...then I have to try to find somewhere else to live. Not a nice thing to have do if you are getting on in years. I would never feel settled...never feel ‘at home’...as it isn’t my home...it belongs to someone else.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

BtW and JG, everything right in what you say - and we weighed up each and every one of those concerns. And we were lucky in that our house appreciated 100% when we sold. So all good and valid points.

For us it works well right now. Who knows down the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.