Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Nov 12th 2017, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

I also wonder what happened to Rodney and would love to know how he is getting on. Dunrovin is a mystery. I remember he was in an accident and then stopped posting. I wish we knew what happened to him. With Rodney on the forum it was a lot livelier.

We are back 2 years now. Still love being in England but our neighbourhood problems of screaming kids and too many cars parking us in has not changed. So after giving it 2 summers we are definitely selling up and moving to SW Dorset hopefully in the spring. We realised that we came from a quiet beach neighbourhood on Vancouver Island and moving to our old house in Home Counties was too much of a contrast and I also miss being nearer the sea. We have no ties here except our property so at time it made sense to move back here.

Leaving soon for our 3 months in Cape Town to escape the winter here. Then I am not on internet much! So I will take this opportunity to wish everyone all the best until next year!
Old Nov 13th 2017, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not here much myself anymore, but I would sorely like to hear from Rodney too, so if you have gotten a hold of him, cheers, and he would appreciate some correspondence, let us know. I am in touch with Fish n Chips (Phil) and will pass on that, although he is able to read posts, he is unable to post due to some issue with AOL and his password. Hopefully that will be resolved soon. In case I don't get a chance to say it closer to the time, I wish everyone a very Happy Christmas and New Year full of love and joy
Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

Aries it is difficult to imagine that you have been back for 6yrs. I am in Adelaide visiting my daughter. Adelaide has lost it's charm for me since it is now over populated for it's size. So much traffic that the roads cannot cope. Rundle Mall is so crowded with people. So many housing estates built where there was once lovely countryside.
The weather, always so changeable here, two days 36c followed by cool cloudy days. Tomorrow it's the Christmas pageant . . . you will remember that I'm sure.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we can get to Rodney by contacting Donald. What do you think?

Cheers
Old Nov 18th 2017, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by black swan
Aries it is difficult to imagine that you have been back for 6yrs. I am in Adelaide visiting my daughter. Adelaide has lost it's charm for me since it is now over populated for it's size. So much traffic that the roads cannot cope. Rundle Mall is so crowded with people. So many housing estates built where there was once lovely countryside.
The weather, always so changeable here, two days 36c followed by cool cloudy days. Tomorrow it's the Christmas pageant . . . you will remember that I'm sure.
I watched Adelaide grow from half a million in 1960. It was very quiet in those days, but as new areas were developed, traffic and new roads increased as you would expect. With so much land available I wasn’t bothered by the loss of fields, and I was very pleased to be part of a growing community. Although some interesting buildings were demolished, others disappeared without being missed. The parklands surrounding the city remain and give the CBD an enviable oasis effect, and there are 5 squares within the grid pattern of the CBD which help to soften the straight lines drawn up by William Light in 1836.

I contrast the development of Adelaide’s new areas, shopping malls and hospitals, with the lack of development back in my hometown. A bypass that should have been constructed 60 years ago hasn’t long been finished, the shopping centre is run down, and there are no indoor shopping malls. Big old hotels which were once envied are now tired, yet for what is supposed to be a premier seaside resort in Devon, there should be investment and pride.

I think Adelaide can be proud of what it has achieved. My big disappointment was that the John Martins department store closed down, and the Christmas pageant it organised for so many years, ceased to have the same feeling.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I haven’t heard about MissBetty for some time, is she still in Britain?

She made many descriptive posts during her troubled times on Australia’s east coast, and having visited friends in WA, I’m wondering if she decided to give it another go.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So how is your day going?
I need to bring my blood sugar down. Unfortunately I am well stocked with British treats such as a big can of Scotish shortbread biscuits and the Swiss Toblerone chocolate.
OK I'm tested to the limit with the banks today. I made a cash deposit into the Credit Union on Monday and I happened to double check today and found out it was put into the wrong account. They said it was a human error.
Strange but also I had made a payment to my American Express account on Monday and I checked on that today and they didn't show my payment had been made???? Long story but they said they didn't have a record of my payment. It was the last day to make a payment and they would charge $27.50 for being late. I got that sorted and they didn't charge me the late fee.
Moral of the story. Always double check everything because there is a lot of mistakes being made by businesses/banks.
I was charged $9.49 a pound for mixed nuts at the supermarket. When I saw that on my receipt I took it to customer service ant told them I was returning them because of the cost. They looked at the sign and saw it was suppose to be $4.99 per pound??? Why are errors always seem to be against the customer?
Buyers beware.
Cheers
Old Dec 24th 2017, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

A Merry Christmas to all over 40 who have returned to the UK or those planning on doing so.

Cheers
Old Dec 25th 2017, 6:42 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
A Merry Christmas to all over 40 who have returned to the UK or those planning on doing so.

Cheers
Happy Christmas to you as well and to all other BE members and lurkers.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all- been about 2 years since my last confession lol!! How is everyone doing?
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

We are good.
We are looking for Jasper 123.
Will someone go and knock on his door?
Cheers
Old Feb 14th 2018, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL why not just send him a PM?
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone—is anyone still here? I haven't been on for a couple of years and don't know when my own last post was! (i know there's a way to look but didn't find it easily.) It seems this is the last page on the Over 40s thread, so no-one has posted since February, six months ago. It's great to see some of the old familiar names from the years when this community was so important to me as I yearned to go back to the UK. Now I am in my fifth year of being back and am still so glad to be here (maybe I'll pop a post on the back home thread too).

In the last few pages I've loved islandwoman's attempt to wake up the thread, feelbritish's (I think, sorry if it was someone else) posts and naming of early thread denizens like trottytrue, easterndawn, and many more who were such presences here. I too wonder how jasper/rodney (and his mum) are doing, and dunrovin. Good to hear from you aries though I am so sorry it isn't working out for you...great to see BEVS and pollyanna still mods...good to see FishnChips and cheers still posting recently...great to see Editha here a while ago and also on Back Home...I have missed out many names of people whose posts I read with pleasure in the old days, but hello to all!

Nothing specific to say really; and of course once we are back home, and get busy with the new life, seeing family members if we have them, and trying to create new networks, this forum becomes less important to one's life, as is only natural. Just saying hi!

"Tina"
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Hello everyone—is anyone still here? I haven't been on for a couple of years and don't know when my own last post was! (i know there's a way to look but didn't find it easily.) It seems this is the last page on the Over 40s thread, so no-one has posted since February, six months ago. It's great to see some of the old familiar names from the years when this community was so important to me as I yearned to go back to the UK. Now I am in my fifth year of being back and am still so glad to be here (maybe I'll pop a post on the back home thread too).

In the last few pages I've loved islandwoman's attempt to wake up the thread, feelbritish's (I think, sorry if it was someone else) posts and naming of early thread denizens like trottytrue, easterndawn, and many more who were such presences here. I too wonder how jasper/rodney (and his mum) are doing, and dunrovin. Good to hear from you aries though I am so sorry it isn't working out for you...great to see BEVS and pollyanna still mods...good to see FishnChips and cheers still posting recently...great to see Editha here a while ago and also on Back Home...I have missed out many names of people whose posts I read with pleasure in the old days, but hello to all!

Nothing specific to say really; and of course once we are back home, and get busy with the new life, seeing family members if we have them, and trying to create new networks, this forum becomes less important to one's life, as is only natural. Just saying hi!

"Tina"
Hi Tina,

Nice to hear from you and to start up this thread again. I do get this one to come to my email address so I got a notification. Like others, I seldom go onto this anymore. Have had a mixed bag this year. Our Cape Town trip came to an end this year as the accommodation we had was sold and OH does not want to go again so we will be looking for some other place to spend a few weeks in the sun in winter otherwise I will not get through life here! We also have not been able to sell house quickly and have had it on market for 5 months. We want to move from South Bucks to Devon for a more relaxed retirement but at moment it is frustrating me being in limbo! Still we both are happy we moved back from Canada to UK.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Hi feelbritish, great to see this update! Sorry about the difficult bit,especially the slow sale of the house...do hope something happens soon so you can get to Devon!

You are right about winter weeks in the sun...if one is able to do this it really helps! We did for the first time last year, only three weeks, but lovely--Florida Gulf Coast.

Yes, limbo waiting for house sale is frustrating, especially for so long! But I am glad to hear that you are happy about the move back to UK.

In my post above, of course there are many others I forgot to mention whose names i recognise and I am still glad to see around, like mods Jerseygirl and Sue....and many more...omission of anyone doesn't mean I've forgotten how important the support of so many people here was when I too was longing to go back home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.