Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 3rd 2017, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Milton Keynes ? London ?

Remote and exotic for this poster !
Old Sep 4th 2017, 2:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scot47
Milton Keynes ? London ?

Remote and exotic for this poster !
Me too. I really wish I was in striking distance of the UK instead of two long haul flights away.

It would be a long way for you too Scot47.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 9:57 am
Just Joined

danielhfreeman is an unknown quantity at this point

Where is Jasper123, I miss his posts?
Old Sep 4th 2017, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danielhfreeman
Where is Jasper123, I miss his posts?
Do you know how to contact him directly. If you do tell him to get back on here!!!
Old Sep 5th 2017, 1:05 am
`

Hi everyone.
You can message Jasper123.

Click on this bold type Jasper123

That will take you to his BE profile.

Then click on the tab called Contact Info if not already there.
You will see that there are two options to send a message.

1 - Send a private message to Jasper123
2 - Send a message via email to Jasper123.

Click on either and a dialogue box will open for you to type your message to him.
Once finished click send.

regards
BEVS
Old Sep 7th 2017, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sitting in the warmth and safety of my iving room, watching the news of Hurricane Irma and the devastation caused on the little islands in my home territory of the Caribbean and environs. I was born and brought up in Jamaica, and lived through many hurricanes. My parents had a strongly built house, and we survived with little damage, but I witnessed damage to many homes not as well built as our own. I helped my family in clearing up other people's property, and providing needed assistance in the form of warm beds to sleep in, clothes to wear and food. All of this was done by the islanders in caring for each other. And it is this I miss very much: the attitude that we are all here to help each other. I have never written about my thoughts on returning to England in Autumn 2010, being in a blizzard whilst staying with Jamaican friends in London, and getting the sidewalks cleared by making a fuss and criticising the inaction of the neighbourhood. Admittedly I had lived in northern Minnesota, where it snows a lot, and ice is a frequent problem in winter, so everyone who is able to clears the sidewalks, driveways and roofs. As a matter of course, emergency materials are in every car: blankets in case you get stranded, ice scrapers, a house broom for heavy snowfalls, a shovel, and a length of rope. Returning to England, I find everyone calling on the Council to clear everything possible, and to do it quickly: because they pay council tax. It may just be the places in which I have lived and visited, but no one, no one ever, has taken the initiative to sweep and clear even the pavement outside their individual houses. At this time, I am ashamed of the country. I find it dirty, pavements and public spaces with dogs mess, plastic and paper waste thrown on the ground and little if any care for the beauty of the flowers in the parks. What on earth has happened to the country? Where is the personal pride? And where is the community spirit? Signed: Disgusted in Devon. Now if this does not get a response, I guess you are all sleeping.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Anguilla has been badly affected. A British Overseas Territory but not a cheap from London about some help.

Last edited by scot47; Sep 7th 2017 at 8:07 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess news filters through more slowly in parts of the Uk: two vessels loaded with practical help in the form of Marines and others are en route. One was stationed in the region already, the other is stated to be leaving here soon.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41193717

Last edited by islandwoman120; Sep 7th 2017 at 9:24 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:10 am
`

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Where is the personal pride? And where is the community spirit? Signed: Disgusted in Devon. Now if this does not get a response, I guess you are all sleeping.
I'm in New Zealand so I was sleeping.

I'm sorry to read this. I've been gone 14 yrs and not been back for over 9 years now so cannot comment on changes. Perhaps those also back in the UK can about their own part of the British Isles.
It does take a sense of personal responsibility & also a community spirit to sometimes get things done to a standard.
There is that in abundance here where I live in New Zealand. There again it is a semi-rural village and so a smaller community than a town or a city so the sense of being in it together is more prevalent.
My pals & family back there do take part in community initiatives though. Cleaning hedgerows . Picking up litter. Visiting neighbours, so not everyone is devoid of a sense of pride for who they are and where they are.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I am sitting in the warmth and safety of my iving room, watching the news of Hurricane Irma and the devastation caused on the little islands in my home territory of the Caribbean and environs. I was born and brought up in Jamaica, and lived through many hurricanes. My parents had a strongly built house, and we survived with little damage, but I witnessed damage to many homes not as well built as our own. I helped my family in clearing up other people's property, and providing needed assistance in the form of warm beds to sleep in, clothes to wear and food. All of this was done by the islanders in caring for each other. And it is this I miss very much: the attitude that we are all here to help each other. I have never written about my thoughts on returning to England in Autumn 2010, being in a blizzard whilst staying with Jamaican friends in London, and getting the sidewalks cleared by making a fuss and criticising the inaction of the neighbourhood. Admittedly I had lived in northern Minnesota, where it snows a lot, and ice is a frequent problem in winter, so everyone who is able to clears the sidewalks, driveways and roofs. As a matter of course, emergency materials are in every car: blankets in case you get stranded, ice scrapers, a house broom for heavy snowfalls, a shovel, and a length of rope. Returning to England, I find everyone calling on the Council to clear everything possible, and to do it quickly: because they pay council tax. It may just be the places in which I have lived and visited, but no one, no one ever, has taken the initiative to sweep and clear even the pavement outside their individual houses. At this time, I am ashamed of the country. I find it dirty, pavements and public spaces with dogs mess, plastic and paper waste thrown on the ground and little if any care for the beauty of the flowers in the parks. What on earth has happened to the country? Where is the personal pride? And where is the community spirit? Signed: Disgusted in Devon. Now if this does not get a response, I guess you are all sleeping.

Perhaps you might like to cut and paste this post in the "Back Home" section of the forum? Just a thought! You might get more of a response as to how people who have moved back find things.

I think a lot depends on people's attitudes. Sure people here in the US help each other (thinking of the recent Hurricane Harvey). That said - I live in a condo complex and I had frozen pipes 3 years ago during the winter of the "polar vortex" I had no water for 5 days and had to move in with my daughter. It would take too long to explain the situation but my neighbors were not helpful at all (next door refused to even open the door to me (or answer his phone). I only wanted to check if they had water as I didn't know whether it was just my pipes or the main pipe coming in from the street to all of the units).

Yes - British people probably expect more of their government, local council, etc. Maybe it's because the US Government isn't the greatest at helping people (thinking back to Hurricane Katrina back in 2005) that the US citizens feel they must step up to the plate and help each other out during a crisis. Just a thought.............

As for the dog poop - I don't have a dog (I'm a cat person) and I do remember the dog poop in the streets in the UK. Now however, whenever I go back, I see notices and even little boxes on the roads/streets with small plastic bags reminding people to pick up after their pets. I rarely see dog poop here. Most people carry a pooper scooper and small bag when they are out walking their dogs.

There is good and bad everywhere. There is no perfect place. I thought you had setttled down fairly well there. I remember all your wonderful photos you used to post and didn't you start a U3A group? Maybe I am wrong and have you mixed up with someone else.

Loneliness is hard wherever you live. If my children and grand-children were not here I wouldn't stay. I hope things get better for you and you can start to feel part of the community. From talking to my friends back in the UK, I actually thought there was a lot more to do for over 60s in the UK than there is here. Everything costs money here and most of us in our 60s (and sometimes 70s) still work due to the high cost of healthcare in this country. That is a whole other thread and I digress. All the best to you - hope things get better. I loved your photos you posted in the past. (Hope I have the right person - getting old and my memory isn't as good as it used to be LOL!)
Take care.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 1:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Islandwoman120...please do not cut and past your post as suggested above...as we do not allow duplicate posts.

I do not think your post belongs in the Back Home forum...but I do think it would be best in a thread of its own. If you wish I will move it and the subsequent replies into a new thread.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Derrygal - Yes,you got the right person. I did start a U3A in Dawlish but don't belong to it and never have beyond the first year when I was getting it established, as it has a load of rules and regulations which don't sit well with everyone. It has about 100 members now and they seem happy enough. I mix with a small group of people here who are interested in fibers and textiles as I am. My general impression of the country is what I wrote - I don't understand the desire to be shut in individual homes and rarely mix because people have always done certain things on certain days e.g. laundry on a Monday, shopping on a Wednesday and Saturday, as though those days and events are carved in stone. It's the 7 year itch syndrome coming out in me - the rose coloured spectacles didn't last long! I was actually toying with the idea of visiting the Virgin islands a few weeks ago - good thing I didn't go! Now there is probably nothing left to visit there. I don't know what the next step will be for me - if I live like this I will wither away to nothing from the sheer boredom of British retirement life. I fill my days with service to others via work for Syrian refugees for a Plymouth based charity; I gave up a local charity where I had helped for 5 years as they no longer had need of all the volunteers and it was time to move on. Next step unknown. Watch this space.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I will agree with you regarding people just expecting the council to do everything in UK. When we lived on Vancouver Island, in our small community outside a larger town our neighbourhood was very inclusive and neighbourly. We even used to congregate in the evenings on the beach where some memorial benches were placed. It was a social place but I still found myself lonely without family or very close friends. So loneliness can happen even in those communities. I think it is very much dependant on our own minds and feelings at the time. Our community there were also very good in helping each other and cleaning up the roads and beaches of litter and snow when needed whereas here in our town in UK not so! It may also be a social thing as it is worse here in the "estates" where people flytip and not much pride is being taken in front of houses even those which are privately rented. There is a vast difference driving into our town from West or East! I live at moment in a cul-de-sac on one of these built up "estates" so I am a bit more private. Some of our old neighbours are still here and we chat but the new people and younger generation seem to go indoors and not socialise. We are not happy here as retirees amongst young families with children who seem to have been allowed to scream excessively! In a couple of years we will probably try and find a more inclusive "retired" community. We are still researching where we want to go! In UK we feel it is all about where you live which is so important and not making a mistake because just a few roads apart can make a difference and it is an expensive excercise to move. If something happened to my OH I do not know if I could stay here in UK on my own. I understand your feelings only too well!
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Great posts Ladies...

When I first came to America there were two things that I noticed straight away.

#1 how clean this place is, no trash in streets etc.

#2 was great customer service in supermarkets, they packed your bags and insisted on taking them out to the car.

On the whole the place is still pretty clean and everyone picks up after their dogs, the supermarket service has taken a massive dive, not many sackers and rarely get an offer to have someone push out my groceries, not sure where Im going with this TBH, just saying...

The dirtiest place I've ever been was Spain, on the Med, it makes the UK look like a palace, dirt and paper all over the street, I was very surprised.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I understand where you are coming from and agree about dirt in UK streets although I rarely see dog poop, maybe I dont walk enough LOL...

I do think Brits have this mindset about the Goverment taking care of them.

Irma and Harvey have brought this country together, Its amazing how Americans pull together and help each other when there is such awful things happening...

I'm one of those who always cleans my sidewalk when it snows and when the leaves fall, many of my neighbors look at me and must think Huhhhhhhhh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.