Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 18th 2017, 8:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Barrybriggs
Been reading some scary stories about life in England. Recent street acid attacks. Poorly paid nurses and other workers. On top of that there is the leaving the European Union with all its worries and problems. Oh, dear!
Been reading a lot of scary stories about ANY country in the world, look hard enough and they are there, Guns in America, honour killings in India and Pakistan, FGM in North African countries
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Awww shucks guys, you sure do know how to make a gal feel wanted I guess I can't leave now can I? Staying here on condition that I keep my rose coloured glass ON, thank you very much Not interested in focusing on the negatives. I'll leave that to others.

Last edited by Perth; Jul 18th 2017 at 9:41 am.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
You need me to help with that & I'm not helping. Oh noes I am not.

Me and him also.
When it seems all too hard. That I will never get home, I look in here and see guys like you who have made that huge move & are experiencing the UK right now. That lifts me , so thank you.
If we ever get back we will be just the average Joe Soaps with hopefully some sort of pension. No big money cushion . No family. Just us who will finally be home .
We had dark times where we thought it would never happen. It can and it does. In our case, a beautiful soul appeared and helped us out of a bind, for which we are eternally grateful, and now here we are. Hold fast and have faith. Please PM me anytime if there is anything I can help you with
Old Jul 18th 2017, 11:02 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Sorry you are having a bad day. Hope it gets better for you
OMG Perth! That was a little joke to see if you had got your British sense of humour back! You failed the test.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 12:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We had dark times where we thought it would never happen. It can and it does. In our case, a beautiful soul appeared and helped us out of a bind, for which we are eternally grateful, and now here we are. Hold fast and have faith. Please PM me anytime if there is anything I can help you with
Thankyou

I will admit that some days these days it all seems a trip too far & some days it seems I would be wanting a wrong move for the both of us at this time of our lives.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Awww shucks guys, you sure do know how to make a gal feel wanted I guess I can't leave now can I? Staying here on condition that I keep my rose coloured glass ON, thank you very much Not interested in focusing on the negatives. I'll leave that to others.
I'm so happy you decided to stay, we need more people like you, that's my 2 cents.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
Thankyou

I will admit that some days these days it all seems a trip too far & some days it seems I would be wanting a wrong move for the both of us at this time of our lives.
Of course it all depends on your particular circumstances. The OH is 70 and jumped in with both feet, and is now thriving. But he is healthy as a horse, and being a black belt judo champion, has the mental discipline to adapt to almost anything. Me on the other hand...sometimes I'm just the little tug boat hanging on for dear life
Old Jul 19th 2017, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I'm so happy you decided to stay, we need more people like you, that's my 2 cents.
Thank you Fish
Old Jul 19th 2017, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
+1
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're still with us Perth! I've lived in the UK all my life and I have to give the NHS 9/10. Got a number of health conditions, in particular diabetes, and my care could not be better. Plus I broke a bone in my foot a fortnight before Christmas and I was at my mum's. Even though I don't live there, they soon had me x-rayed and plastered up, with an appointment to see a consultant on the Tuesday (did it Friday night). Got my 'moon boot' and back on the train to London same day. The station staff wheeled me onto the train in a wheelchair, at King's Cross got me off in one and wheeled to the black cab rank. Six weeks paid time off from work. Horrible experience but my own fault for being clumsy and everyone was so understanding and helpful. Always got offered a seat on the tube and train as long as I had the boot on. Not bad in such a busy city as London. You are right to concentrate on the nice things. Newspapers cover mostly bad stuff because it sells!
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
+1

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Glad you're still with us Perth! I've lived in the UK all my life and I have to give the NHS 9/10. Got a number of health conditions, in particular diabetes, and my care could not be better. Plus I broke a bone in my foot a fortnight before Christmas and I was at my mum's. Even though I don't live there, they soon had me x-rayed and plastered up, with an appointment to see a consultant on the Tuesday (did it Friday night). Got my 'moon boot' and back on the train to London same day. The station staff wheeled me onto the train in a wheelchair, at King's Cross got me off in one and wheeled to the black cab rank. Six weeks paid time off from work. Horrible experience but my own fault for being clumsy and everyone was so understanding and helpful. Always got offered a seat on the tube and train as long as I had the boot on. Not bad in such a busy city as London. You are right to concentrate on the nice things. Newspapers cover mostly bad stuff because it sells!
Oh my goodness Hope all healed up well by now. Thank you for the support and for sharing your good experience with the NHS.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone! It's August 9th and I'll have to do a Rodney and get you back talking to each other. I tuned in tonight as I was feeling very depressed and thought of you all on here and the fun stuff that you write, and the arguments too. I still live in Devon, in Dawlish, on the south coast. It does rain a lot here as we are on the English Channel and get a lot of storms coming over the Atlantic - I always 'blame the US', just to get at my friends there as a lot of the time we get the storms 3 days after the East coast of the US has them. It's just part of living here - I wear rain gear when needed. I live about 1.5 miles inland, in a very quiet part of town, but I miss out on a lot of activities as a result. I have tried to sell and move closer in, but having sold twice and lost out twice, I gave up - only the solicitor made any money out of the deal. I do miss the States a lot, and my friends and family there - scattered throughout many states, and into Canada. At times I feel like quitting it all and moving back with one suitcase (!) but then I think of the cost of healthcare and see sense. I am not a frequent user of the healthare system, thankfully, but I appreciate the fact that it exists and no one is asked for an Insurance and credit card. You really have to expereince the two systems to understand the feeling of relief at not being turned away because of your ability to pay. It is this reason, plus the fact that I have a lovely companion cat, that keeps me here in England, because I do get very depressed and extremely lonely on my tod. I am still very Americanised in my thoughts and manners which does not help - at times I really don't understand how people can live life in such a solitary manner. Being of West Indian heritage is at the root of the problem, as we are a friendly, open people. I would probably have been happier in Notting Hill!! Anyway, I am glad to be back on here, and look forward to many postings. Aries - I am so saddened to read of your many tribulations in Torquay - if you feel up to a visit, it is not far for me to come on the train or bus - just let me know privately if you want a visit at any time.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 1:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Lovely to hear from you Islandwoman120.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Thnaks, BEV. Glad to be back in circulation. I read a previous posting where it was mentioned that the Syrians who had relocated to the Isle of Bute were not all contented (my wording). I work for refugees down here in Devon, and wonder where that information came from as I may be able to help on Bute. Any information would be appreciated.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 2:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Thnaks, BEV. Glad to be back in circulation. I read a previous posting where it was mentioned that the Syrians who had relocated to the Isle of Bute were not all contented (my wording). I work for refugees down here in Devon, and wonder where that information came from as I may be able to help on Bute. Any information would be appreciated.
Our BE Correspondent assigned to the Bute desk is scott47.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.