Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 16th 2017, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Derrygal
There's no need to be quite so cynical, is there? Perth was speaking of how she has found the NHS since she has been back living in the UK. As others have mentioned, some parts of the country seem to be better served by the NHS than others. I realize it isn't perfect, but let's face it, neither is the US healthcare system (or rather lack of it). It's all about money here, if you have the money or a really good plan provided by your employer, you can have good health-care, but if you don't, you're up the creek without a paddle and goodness knows what will happen in the future if the Republicans try and push their latest bill through.

I can't fault all the treatment we have received but I also know that as good as our insurance is it has also cost us an excessive amount of money to receive the treatment. I worry constantly about future costs, especially when we are retired.

Having just spent time with all my aging siblings and in laws in the UK I was quite amazed at the excellent and prompt care they are all receiving minus the worry of cost!!
Old Jul 16th 2017, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I hope you get excellent treatment for your "grass is greener" symptoms!
Sorry you are having a bad day. Hope it gets better for you
Old Jul 16th 2017, 8:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OK please let us knock this on the head. I have lived in the US with excellent healthcare insurance...I have lived in the UK and Canada...both have socialized healthcare. There are pros and cons for all three healthcare systems...depending where you live and additionally for the US...how good your insurance is or how much money you have.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 8:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I hope you get excellent treatment for your "grass is greener" symptoms!
IMHE, the grass is whatever colour you paint it.

For myself, I've a preference for red.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OK please let us knock this on the head. I have lived in the US with excellent healthcare insurance...I have lived in the UK and Canada...both have socialized healthcare. There are pros and cons for all three healthcare systems...depending where you live and additionally for the US...how good your insurance is or how much money you have.
Quite - I meant to say Florida (where I did have good insurance) and not the US in general. I corrected my error and I did say it was my experience. I spoke as someone with health issues, who is relieved to find the health care here better than expected. It was meant to encourage others who might be dithering about coming back because of health concerns. End of.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

I can't fault all the treatment we have received but I also know that as good as our insurance is it has also cost us an excessive amount of money to receive the treatment. I worry constantly about future costs, especially when we are retired.

Having just spent time with all my aging siblings and in laws in the UK I was quite amazed at the excellent and prompt care they are all receiving minus the worry of cost!!
Thanks to those who understood what I was saying (including 2 lovely PMs) - but this in particular
Old Jul 17th 2017, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for 5 years of brilliant advice and support! Time for me to move on. Wishing you all the very best of everything
Old Jul 17th 2017, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Thanks for 5 years of brilliant advice and support! Time for me to move on. Wishing you all the very best of everything
Nooooooooo...you can't!! Come back!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 17th 2017, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Nooooooooo...you can't!! Come back!!!!!!!!
I'm embarrassed to say I can't figure out how to actually leave! Do you do this on purpose?
Old Jul 17th 2017, 9:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm embarrassed to say I can't figure out how to actually leave! Do you do this on purpose?
I think you need a visa. Stick around and I'll tell you how it's done.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 10:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

We've gottcha...you can't escape.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Do not go. I need to know the ins and outs of life back in the UK. It is something we are considering in a few years time ( maybe)

......trying to make you feel loved!
Old Jul 18th 2017, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Barrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really nice

Been reading some scary stories about life in England. Recent street acid attacks. Poorly paid nurses and other workers. On top of that there is the leaving the European Union with all its worries and problems. Oh, dear!
Old Jul 18th 2017, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barrybriggs
Been reading some scary stories about life in England. Recent street acid attacks. Poorly paid nurses and other workers. On top of that there is the leaving the European Union with all its worries and problems. Oh, dear!
I heard about the acid attacks too, very sad, some are pushing for a life sentence for those people, I'm all for that. Its got to be stopped.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 3:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You need me to help with that & I'm not helping. Oh noes I am not.

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Do not go. I need to know the ins and outs of life back in the UK. It is something we are considering in a few years time
......trying to make you feel loved!

Me and him also.
When it seems all too hard. That I will never get home, I look in here and see guys like you who have made that huge move & are experiencing the UK right now. That lifts me , so thank you.
If we ever get back we will be just the average Joe Soaps with hopefully some sort of pension. No big money cushion . No family. Just us who will finally be home .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.