Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 5th 2016, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Where in Devon are you living? I am in Dawlish.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 10:51 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Where in Devon are you living? I am in Dawlish.
Honiton
Old Jul 5th 2016, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I have visited there to see the Lace Museum. Lovely town - interesting architecture and the scenery in the area is great too. Glad you finally made it to the county of cream teas....
Old Jul 6th 2016, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Nigel Farage is a liar and a moron!! The UK doesn't need to celebrate it's Independence Day. It has always been an independent country! The Brexit vote was a huge mistake. The Brits (or perhaps I should say the English and the Welsh) just cut off their noses to spite their faces!! Or as the Americans say, they threw out the baby with the bath water!! It's not good!!!
No one is saying that it wont be a little rocky for a couple of years maybe, but when we start trading with the WORLD and not just Europe, and being able to actually control our own immigration and just let in the people that we need, England and Wales will again flourish and shine, never to be ruled and beaten down by a corrupt E.U. ever again, people over here in UK have just had it far too good, and a lot of people have never known anything else but living there life in the E.U. maybe after a couple of years when we are out of the E.U. we wont have so many benefits like young mothers being able to claim 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay from there employer to sit at home looking after there baby for a year to my mind it would be a good thing to taper down our so ridiculously generous benefit system, and maybe we will not be called the nanny state anymore!!!! thank goodness for the referendum, the brexit outers won, its over, so we just need to get on with making our life better, and with Theresa May steering the ship I think one day we in Britain will be able to hold our heads high again, and stand up strong and confident in the world, not like scared cowards like a lot of the inners are sounding like right now, they need to get a back bone, cause we will soon be free and living in a great wealthy (INDEPENDENT) country again, we can put the GREAT back in Britain, and take back our British Passport!!!!
God Save The Queen!!!!!
Old Jul 6th 2016, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
No one is saying that it wont be a little rocky for a couple of years maybe, but when we start trading with the WORLD and not just Europe, and being able to actually control our own immigration and just let in the people that we need, England and Wales will again flourish and shine, never to be ruled and beaten down by a corrupt E.U. ever again, people over here in UK have just had it far too good, and a lot of people have never known anything else but living there life in the E.U. maybe after a couple of years when we are out of the E.U. we wont have so many benefits like young mothers being able to claim 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay from there employer to sit at home looking after there baby for a year to my mind it would be a good thing to taper down our so ridiculously generous benefit system, and maybe we will not be called the nanny state anymore!!!! thank goodness for the referendum, the brexit outers won, its over, so we just need to get on with making our life better, and with Theresa May steering the ship I think one day we in Britain will be able to hold our heads high again, and stand up strong and confident in the world, not like scared cowards like a lot of the inners are sounding like right now, they need to get a back bone, cause we will soon be free and living in a great wealthy (INDEPENDENT) country again, we can put the GREAT back in Britain, and take back our British Passport!!!!
God Save The Queen!!!!!
Ah, the irony of a person who was an immigrant for 36 years - and thus spent most of their tax-paying adult life elsewhere - and who is now benefiting in retirement from "free at the point of service" NHS etc complaining about immigration and the nanny state...

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 7th 2016 at 12:06 am.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

God Save The Queen!!!!!

I'm speechless!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 7th 2016, 1:56 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

In order to trade with other countries, you have to have something they want.

80 percent of the UK's economy is in the service sector. 80 percent.

https://next.ft.com/content/2ce78f36...e-2eadd5fbc4a4

If you think the economy of the United Kingdom is going to be able to sustain itself without trading in people, then think again. This industry (which includes the finance sector) has grown because talent is able to move around. If the UK decides to close itself off to foreign talent, both from within and outside the EU - well these businesses will simply move out. And it's a lot easier for them to do so than if they had physical plant to shut down, tools to sell, and inventory to move. They can just lock up shop and move to either another EU country, or a non-EU country (like the US) with a similar growing sector. Why should countries trade with the UK when they can just lure their top talent away?

"Rocky for a couple of years" is an understatement.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 5:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

So am I, the UK has ALWAYS been able to trade with the rest of the world, and always has done, so no change, oh unless you find out it will now cost us a lot more to trade with the countries nearest to us.

I see nothing wrong with mothers and fathers having time off work, paid, to look after newborn babies, in fact I think that's a great idea.

Of course it may NOT be Theresa May steering the ship either.

If we didn't get so many doctors and nurses from the EU countries then, I'm afraid, the NHS would be in a much worse state than it is now, with even more staff shortages.

There is, of course, no guarantee that the UK will leave the EU, the country has voted on a NON BINDING vote, but now things will get tricky, Parliament will have to pass the necessary legislation for us to start the leave process, BUT there are a majority of MPs that support the EU in both houses, even some of the EU countries think the UK will stay in the EU.

I suspect that, even if the UK does leave we are in for many years of turmoil with all the fallout, and even the leave people have said it will be important to retain the free trading part of what is around, in the same way that Norway has, but this will mean we have to sign up to allow free movement of workers.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 7:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

God Save The Queen!!!!!
This is satire right? If not, I'd seriously advise cutting down on the medications.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

I am as well - gobsmacked to be precise

I do admit that the benefit system could do with more overhauling but the example given - that working mothers who take time off to look after a new born isn't the greatest argument. They only get the 6 months pay, 6 months half pay if they were working prior to taking maternity leave and I for one think that is a good benefit. I am more concerned with the unemployed young girls who get pregnant and then expect benefits to pay for their baby but I digress.

The result of the referendum left me upset and angry. Angry with the Leave campaigners who lied through their teeth, angry with the Remain campaigners for being so damn ineffectual in calling out the lies and not putting forth arguments to remain that everyone could understand. Getting bankers and dry economic experts to help the remainers didn't help as the whole bankers mess from 2007/8 is still fresh in so many minds and not in a good way. I am also angry with those people who tell us the voted to leave because they wanted the UK to go back to the good old days before the common market . How on earth can we go back - we can't and lets be honest those days weren't as great as people make out - but rose-tinted glasses and selective memory are an amazing thing. I am also angry with all those who didn't get off their backside to vote especially the 63%+ of 18-24 years olds. The most important vote probably in their lifetime and they can't be bothered.

This is going to be a long hard road - many years - and I am unclear how the UK can every really make this right to be honest. So sad and frustrating.

Last edited by Lorac05; Jul 7th 2016 at 12:01 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 2:21 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

There's something else bothering me about your post, Rodney.

"Put the "Great" back in Britain again, and take back our British passport".

Go get that passport out of the drawer and look at it. On the front it states:

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

It's the United Kingdom. Not England. Not England and Wales (as you also mentioned earlier). It's the United Kingdom - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
I am as well - gobsmacked to be precise

I do admit that the benefit system could do with more overhauling but the example given - that working mothers who take time off to look after a new born isn't the greatest argument. They only get the 6 months pay, 6 months half pay if they were working prior to taking maternity leave and I for one think that is a good benefit. I am more concerned with the unemployed young girls who get pregnant and then expect benefits to pay for their baby but I digress.

The result of the referendum left me upset and angry. Angry with the Leave campaigners who lied through their teeth, angry with the Remain campaigners for being so damn ineffectual in calling out the lies and not putting forth arguments to remain that everyone could understand. Getting bankers and dry economic experts to help the remainers didn't help as the whole bankers mess from 2007/8 is still fresh in so many minds and not in a good way. I am also angry with those people who tell us the voted to leave because they wanted the UK to go back to the good old days before the common market . How on earth can we go back - we can't and lets be honest those days weren't as great as people make out - but rose-tinted glasses and selective memory are an amazing thing. I am also angry with all those who didn't get off their backside to vote especially the 63%+ of 18-24 years olds. The most important vote probably in their lifetime and they can't be bothered.

This is going to be a long hard road - many years - and I am unclear how the UK can every really make this right to be honest. So sad and frustrating.

Yes Lorac you are right about the example I gave of working mothers was not the greatest argument, but I was looking at it through an employers point of view really, yes its great for the mother but a big problem for the employer who has to not only pay her full wages for 6 months and then half wages for another 6 months but also has the problem of replacing that employee for a year (and) the additional cost that goes along with training another to take her place, and paying the extra salary, I just cant see how employers can be too happy about that, American employers must think it rather funny that there Brit counterparts would be forced to do this I would think!!! no wonder there are so many businesses in the UK closing there doors and going bankrupt!!!
Old Jul 7th 2016, 3:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Ah, the irony of a person who was an immigrant for 36 years - and thus spent most of their tax-paying adult life elsewhere - and who is now benefiting in retirement from "free at the point of service" NHS etc complaining about immigration and the nanny state...
And he brings into this country a good income that he spends here, not claiming a UK Old age pension and has an occasional doctor visit, I think he's bringing more money here than he costs the UK. He's also looking after his elderly parent, saving even more, seeing she doesn't need a package of care paid for by the council. So win win for the UK.
So many bitter people here. It was a vote, and the exit vote won.
We will be fine.
Also 9 out of 10 of the none British Nurses and Doctors I meet at work are from outside the EU, so it will not really have such a bad affect on the NHS. The ones from outside the EU had to meet immigration requirements to come here.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
There's something else bothering me about your post, Rodney.

"Put the "Great" back in Britain again, and take back our British passport".

Go get that passport out of the drawer and look at it. On the front it states:

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

It's the United Kingdom. Not England. Not England and Wales (as you also mentioned earlier). It's the United Kingdom - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
I know exactly what it says on my British Passport, yes it does say The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ------ BUT if you look at the (first word) above all that it says in big gold print ---- EUROPEAN UNION

And the reason I said in my previous post England and Wales and not the United Kingdom is quite simple, ---- since the result of the referendum was to leave the E.U. ----- and that the U.K. Government has rightly committed to take the UK out of the E.U. No Ifs Or Buts we are leaving!!!! ---- shortly after the result, I think the very next day Nicholas Sturgeon announced that she will be holding yet another Scotish referendum to bring Scotland out of the U.K. AS SHE STILL WANTS TO STAY IN THE European Union, but it will not be easy for her to accomplish this as she will then have to apply for membership to the E.U. and will be considered as a brand new application and will have to wait several years for the E.U. to decide if they want Scotland as an independent member, they may indeed find themselves at the back of the Que as Obama said the UK would be if we came out of the E.U.

And Also Northern Ireland wants to leave the UK and apply for E.U. membership as most of them voted to stay in the E.U. and are very unhappy with the result!!!!
HENCE ----- I was just fast forwarding and calling us England and Wales, as this is what the Nation will be if Scotland and Northern Ireland's dreams one day in the future actually come true!!!!
Old Jul 7th 2016, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
And he brings into this country a good income that he spends here, not claiming a UK Old age pension and has an occasional doctor visit, I think he's bringing more money here than he costs the UK. He's also looking after his elderly parent, saving even more, seeing she doesn't need a package of care paid for by the council. So win win for the UK.
Let's be realistic here... healthcare for older people almost always ends up being a lot more than an "occasional doctor visit". The reality is that the NHS is largely (but obviously not wholly) paid for by the working age population.

So many bitter people here. It was a vote, and the exit vote won.
We will be fine.
I don't see what's "bitter" about pointing out the irony of that poster's position.

Also 9 out of 10 of the none British Nurses and Doctors I meet at work are from outside the EU, so it will not really have such a bad affect on the NHS. The ones from outside the EU had to meet immigration requirements to come here.
According to the GMC, EEA(excluding UK) doctors account for 11% of the total. That represents about 30% of the non-UK doctors in the NHS:

GMC | List of Registered Medical Practitioners - statistics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.