Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 21st 2016, 6:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by dontheturner
We should never have been part of Europe. They hate us - and have little time for us. If someone can tell me what they Buy from us - because I don't know. We should have stuck with the Commonwealth. Oh! Rant over - How are you Cheers? - I am as young as ever! take care, Don
Right there with you Don.

We should have stayed like Norway as part of the EEA with rights to trade only, without being a member state so we can do what we want and not have to answer to Brussels.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Right there with you Don.

We should have stayed like Norway as part of the EEA with rights to trade only, without being a member state so we can do what we want and not have to answer to Brussels.
I'm with you...

I dislike the control of the EU, making rules and for what, its just more bureaucracy and an expense you could do without...
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone, long time since I have been on here. Nice to see some of the old ones still chatting. We are doing fine. Still thinking about coming home if Moe improves with his health. But just have to wait.
My family in the UK are all for leaving the EU but I am not sure it will happen. Lets hope it does. I just wonder who is allowed to vote in the UK I know you have to be a resident but for how long.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Hello Everyone, long time since I have been on here. Nice to see some of the old ones still chatting. We are doing fine. Still thinking about coming home if Moe improves with his health. But just have to wait.
My family in the UK are all for leaving the EU but I am not sure it will happen. Lets hope it does. I just wonder who is allowed to vote in the UK I know you have to be a resident but for how long.
Hi Trotty, good to see you glad to hear you're doing ok. I will also be voting out. You can vote in the referendum if you are a British citizen who has not lived out of the country for more than 15 years and you have to register.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

you have to be on the electoral register (vulge "Voters' Roll") You have the vote for 15 years after leaving.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
We should never have been part of Europe. They hate us - and have little time for us. If someone can tell me what they Buy from us - because I don't know. We should have stuck with the Commonwealth. Oh! Rant over - How are you Cheers? - I am as young as ever! take care, Don
Hi Don, I feel as fit as a fiddle!. The diabetic nurse said I could have a stroke or a heart attack and die at anytime because my blood sugar is off the charts. 400+ if that means anything to you? Thankfully I have brought it down to the 100 range in the last few days.
It is a glorious day here and I've been working out in the garden.
Unlike others who are posting on here I don't see a way of retiring in the UK because it is so expensive to live over there which is one reason I left in 1955.
It is alright if you are working in the UK because the wages compared to here are amazingly high.
I've been listening on my iPhone to various theater organs since we were talking about them recently. Now I need some choc ices. Remember those usherettes use to sell them during the intermission at the pics.
If the UK stayed in the EU they would be a shell of a country in no time. I'm glad you all agree on this. The situation is insane. EU is like a dictatorship.IMO.

Take care.
Cheers
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to vote in the UK quite quickly after living away for 51 years, and was surprised that the polling station was very quiet. In Oz there was always a queue, and outside there would be a barbeque etc.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

As for the EU, many European politicians are nasty about the UK having an exit referendum, and say we would not be able to manage without them.

I'm inclined to believe they might be worried about losing our money!
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 9:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
As for the EU, many European politicians are nasty about the UK having an exit referendum, and say we would not be able to manage without them.

Too true.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries

You said it Aries.

Actually that's a good idea about the bbq; it might get more people out to vote, it'd have to be an alchohol free event though.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trotty, just to say I haven't been on here for a good while but I have just now come to the last page and here you are! Great to see you still here. Glad you and hubby doing fine.

Hello to all longstanding ones (better than "old ones," eh?!!!!!" ) here and welcome to newbies.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Can't believe you were here and didn't let me know - we'd have had our kettle on too! I'm so glad you had a nice time and that you enjoyed our lovely Autumn weather. It's finally starting to feel a bit nippy - had my coat, scarf and hat on this morning when I went for a walk. Still, I do live up in the hills where it's always chillier than down below.

Just catching up with the posts after a long time away. Feelbritish, it's so good to hear that you got home!

It's three and a half years ago today since I moved back and I have been thankful every one of those days.

Yesterday while out for a walk, my husband and I stopped to chat to one of our local farmers. He's 71 and has never lived anywhere else - lovely man. Anyway, he was asking if we ever want to go back to America for a visit and was so surprised that we both instantly said no. I told him can't imagine I'll ever want to get on a plane again.

When we first moved back, I thought we would travel all over Europe, but it's like I've been planted here and can't move! I just don't seem to have the desire to travel anymore, which is odd seeing that I spent so much of my life on the move.

Earlier this year I went on a drawing course in Oxford (my first trip down south since coming home) and after it was over, my husband came down to meet me and we went to the Cotswolds. It was nice enough, but a bit of a letdown after the scenery around us and further north in the Dales and the Lakes. I thought Oxford was pretty and interesting but far too crowded. We decided we're done with holidays for a while and will stick to day trips

Sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake all those years ago when I blithely agreed to move abroad, too young and inexperienced to understand what I was agreeing to, but on balance I think not. Because I don't think I would love it here so much if I hadn't gone away.

Well anyway, it's been great reading everyone's updates. Off to catch up some more! Hope everyone stays well and happy.
I like you have been away a while and am doing a little catching up. Good to see you still here and so happy!
Old Mar 6th 2016, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Hi Trotty, just to say I haven't been on here for a good while but I have just now come to the last page and here you are! Great to see you still here. Glad you and hubby doing fine.

Hello to all longstanding ones (better than "old ones," eh?!!!!!" ) here and welcome to newbies.
Sorry trotty, this is what happens when you have been away, I hadn't seen the Sept post from you about your husband's dementia diagnosis, now I see your latest "doing fine" is relative; sorry to hear that. Hope the shunt helped/helps. Think of you often.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trotty true

It's been a long time since I have been on here too! Sorry to hear about your hubbys health issues, sending hugs and best wishes.

I'm still in Canada, but changed my job so life is so much better. I hope that Britain leaves the EU. You can vote if u r a UK citizen, as an overseas voter if you are registered as such.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Hi Trotty true

It's been a long time since I have been on here too! Sorry to hear about your hubbys health issues, sending hugs and best wishes.

I'm still in Canada, but changed my job so life is so much better. I hope that Britain leaves the EU. You can vote if u r a UK citizen, as an overseas voter if you are registered as such.
I think the rule is if you have been out of the UK for 15 years or less. This is one vote where I hope everyone gets involved who can vote and give an almost 80% voter turnout! I am on the fence still but as a commonwealth citizen I wonder a lot why Britain has not been closer in trade with its old allies?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.