Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jan 5th 2016, 3:39 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
Today is my birthday and I'm celebrating becoming 78. Imagin that! I feel like I'm in my 50's

I am celebrating with several glasses of Martinellis Apple Cider which I love.

Cheers
Belated Happy Birthday
Old Jan 7th 2016, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the nice greetings.
We got back from LA on Tuesday evening. We stopped at my daughters in Las Vegas and she had bought some boxes of Cadburys Chocolate biscuits and some Walkers shortbread for me. Nice kid. (my sugar is up to 395 today, yikes!)
The rain was really something in LA. People were actually driving below the speed limit which is unheard of (65 mph). You would know why if you saw all the water sitting on the freeway.
So we are getting around to continuing celebrating my birthday at this late date. Today we get to see the "film" with Tom Hanks in it. It is his newest. Then on another day we get to go the Red Lobster restaurant (that is a restaurant chain).
I had my eyes checked this morning for glaucoma and they said everything was fine.

Cheers
Old Jan 7th 2016, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Twitter has been around for a while, I consider it much different to BE as they are people that know each other, whereas here on BE everyone is anonymous.

I'm not a member of Facebook or Twitter and have no desire to join, Ive never even heard of flopbook.

Thats how I see it.
me too fish not interested in telling people what I had for breakfast
Old Jan 7th 2016, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Today is my birthday and I'm celebrating becoming 78. Imagin that! I feel like I'm in my 50's

I am celebrating with several glasses of Martinellis Apple Cider which I love.

Cheers
Happy very belated 78th Birthday cheers, interesting that you say you feel like in your 50's ----- I'm 71 in June and I feel like i'm in my 80's
Old Jan 12th 2016, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Happy very belated 78th Birthday cheers, interesting that you say you feel like in your 50's ----- I'm 71 in June and I feel like i'm in my 80's
Thanks mate.
I couldn't sleep so I'm up at 4 am. Probably because I didn't take my insulin shot yesterday (what about that "Mummy" would that keep me awake?)

Since I'm up early I thought I would read the Daily Telegraph and the first thing that caught my eye was an article about Cadburys.

That got my goat. As you know an American company, Kraft, bought them out and the way its going they, Cadburys, wont be around much longer.

I mentioned that I got a tin of Cadburys biscuits a week ago. What a disappointment. They were discoloured and the tin was carefully made up of mostly packing material and very few biscuits.

You can read what the Telegraph writes about Cadburys-Kraft-Mondelez.

So I'm thinking, how many British firms have the Americans bought and closed down. Rootes Motor Cars for one, remember them? Boots will be next and then there is Ford, because they don't assemble cars in the UK anymore, right? How many others have they put out of business?

You read or see on TV, Donald Trump who is running for President and the press thinks he is a big joke. So why is he top in the polls? Because the American people have had enough of the lobbyists, corporations, including banks, running the country and not to mention the press who try to tell us what to think and how to vote.

One of my beefs is that our pensions did not go up this year because of the formula they use to calculate the annual increase. All my overhead has gone up and yet there is no increase??? The politicians in US Congress get $150,000 a year, I'm told, so what do they care about seniors? And this is one of the big reasons the population wants a big change in the Presidential election. We'll see how it goes!

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Jan 12th 2016 at 10:34 am.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate.
I couldn't sleep so I'm up at 4 am. Probably because I didn't take my insulin shot yesterday (what about that "Mummy" would that keep me awake?)

Since I'm up early I thought I would read the Daily Telegraph and the first thing that caught my eye was an article about Cadburys.

That got my goat. As you know an American company, Kraft, bought them out and the way its going they, Cadburys, wont be around much longer.

I mentioned that I got a tin of Cadburys biscuits a week ago. What a disappointment. They were discoloured and the tin was carefully made up of mostly packing material and very few biscuits.

You can read what the Telegraph writes about Cadburys-Kraft-Mondelez.

So I'm thinking, how many British firms have the Americans bought and closed down. Rootes Motor Cars for one, remember them? Boots will be next and then there is Ford, because they don't assemble cars in the UK anymore, right? How many others have they put out of business?

You read or see on TV, Donald Trump who is running for President and the press thinks he is a big joke. So why is he top in the polls? Because the American people have had enough of the lobbyists, corporations, including banks, running the country and not to mention the press who try to tell us what to think and how to vote.

One of my beefs is that our pensions did not go up this year because of the formula they use to calculate the annual increase. All my overhead has gone up and yet there is no increase??? The politicians in US Congress get $150,000 a year, I'm told, so what do they care about seniors? And this is one of the big reasons the population wants a big change in the Presidential election. We'll see how it goes!

Cheers
I hate when the UK sells out but look at America its going the same way, sending jobs to China for the past 30 years, now when China has problems it affects our world, its one big mess we will never be able to fix, that's the wealthy Wall St world for you, doing all our thinking for us.

Look out for Google I think they may rule the world one day, and what about Apple and Starbucks who dont pay taxes in the UK if I have my info right.

G.M. are about to start selling a new SUV here built in China how does that float your boat, Their economy is slowing down and they have such a lot of production capability so they've got to send cars somewhere, it might as well be here as most people here have no clue as long as the monthly payment is right...

I think the UK still build Fords and Vauxhall, Jaguar, Land Rover, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Mini etc... Ford and Vauxhall has never been British although Brits used to perceive them as such...

I totally agree with your thoughts on politicians and lobbyists but Trump?, C-mon Cheers if you are looking for senior help you should be listening to Bernie Sanders, he is the only choice for me, I've had my eyes on this guy for 15 years, he is the real deal, the only hope we have.

Sadly I have to say we should have stayed in the UK if we wanted a voice to how things go over there, here we are moaning but we just have no power or influence to do anything, I always say vote with your pocketbook thats all you can do.

Next time if you have a choice buy Fox biscuits, made in good old Yorkshire its a nice change, McVites are another good biscuit.

Have a Great Day and watch that blood pressure, most things are not worth worrying about, its better to go out for a walk or immerse yourself in music or a good book /old Film.

B.T.W. when we arrived here Americans hated the Communists, so why did they start buying everything from them, it was a totally bad idea from the start, Its just beyond me.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Jan 12th 2016 at 4:59 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Chips!
Bernie Saunders? I like him somewhat. I've heard he has come up in the polls recently. But wait, isn't he a politician?

Ford only makes engines and transmissions in the UK?

The value of the dollar against the pound is looking really good right now.

China is going to make an electric car in Nevada this year.

Cheers
Old Jan 12th 2016, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Chips!
Bernie Saunders? I like him somewhat. I've heard he has come up in the polls recently. But wait, isn't he a politician?

Ford only makes engines and transmissions in the UK?

The value of the dollar against the pound is looking really good right now.

China is going to make an electric car in Nevada this year.

Cheers
Bernie is a politician, but there is good and bad in all, I consider him and Elizabeth Warren the best two in Washington... you should listen to these two, they are the ones that will look after the regular folks like us and put the hurt on Wall street if anyone can.

Sadly the President is only a figure head, and Iowa seems to be the state who decides our fate, its congress that are worthless, taking pay while doing nothing for us, if most of them worked for a corporation they would have been fired years ago, That's exactly how I see it... many are BENT!, some arent that smart to start with, they get put there by BIG Money...(advertising etc)...

Trump is good entertainment for some of us, he's pretty good in the Biz world and seems to get his way by bullying, I doubt that would work in world affairs, plus unfortunately is his a bit of a loose cannon, and a flip flopper, you haven't heard that term this season yet have you...

Didn't you see where Trump built a golf course in Scotland some years ago, I have no doubt the local govt were bought off, plus he walked all over the locals who had lived there for years, piling dirt as high as a home so that his precious golfers wouldn't have to see the home, it really bothered me that an American could walk into the UK and do that to a person who had lived there for decades...

I still think Ford build cars in the UK but have no proof...

China, Nevada car, They are already building buses in Lancaster California, and they are on the roads here in Oregon, I heard that many of the employees came from China, and Building is putting it mildly, they are assembling buses from parts imported from China... there are a lot of grey area's here...

I will never buy a Chinese car, for so many reasons but many Americans will as we live in a wal-mart world where quality is not a #1 issue, again its all about the monthly payments... trade in time will be fun, just wait n see.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Jan 12th 2016 at 7:26 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Its old news but have you read about the number of Chinese who come to the US to give birth so the baby gets citizenship. Its quite an industry.

Yes, Trump became an enemy when I saw how he paraded about 50 Land Rovers over his property in Scotland so as to intimidate the neighbors.

Trade in. I want to trade my Buick in on a new 2016 Chevrolet Malibu but I have 20 months left on my lease so I think it is a no go.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Its old news but have you read about the number of Chinese who come to the US to give birth so the baby gets citizenship. Its quite an industry.

Yes, Trump became an enemy when I saw how he paraded about 50 Land Rovers over his property in Scotland so as to intimidate the neighbors.

Trade in. I want to trade my Buick in on a new 2016 Chevrolet Malibu but I have 20 months left on my lease so I think it is a no go.
I hadnt heard about the chinese giving birth here but Ive heard about other nations.

Trump, yes it that kind of thing, the disrespect for people, Again I say Check out Bernie, youll be surprised.

Got a leased Buick, in 20 months the Malibu will still be around, by then you may have changed your mind.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

season yet have you...

Didn't you see where Trump built a golf course in Scotland some years ago, I have no doubt the local govt were bought off, plus he walked all over the locals who had lived there for years, piling dirt as high as a home so that his precious golfers wouldn't have to see the home
I've seen that documentary. He ruined an unspoiled wilderness area and the lives of the community.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I've seen that documentary. He ruined an unspoiled wilderness area and the lives of the community.
For those who don't know it's called You've Been Trumped and is on Netflix.

There is a second documentary that includes his forays into other countries: A Dangerous Game.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that info Perth Id forget the name of the show, Its an education if you havent seen it.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that info Perth Id forget the name of the show, Its an education if you havent seen it.
Yes indeed, quite mind blowing. I get the question all the time: why do you want to leave the USA? Now I can just say Trump and everyone knows what I mean
Old Jan 17th 2016, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hope you are well - and Phyllis too - do give her my best regards! - STOP boasting - I am now 85 and feel frisky and 55. just updated the organ, for another Lowrey - this time a Prestige - Adorable! Playing better than ever, after loads of practice.. Went back to Thailand last year , but still thinking about returning there. Maybe.... My daughter is now widowed, Julian Passed away in April. - But although she comes to see me , we are not real close. Never Mind. Take Care Rodney. Love to you both. Don & Tim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.