Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 16th 2015, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
I see Hyundai i10's for sale but no C10's? Hyundai are good cars.

Cheers
Sorry you are correct, it is an i10, only downside is that because of small motor can be sluggish on hills but I dont mind using gears as I never converted to automatic cars in Canada, in fact dont like them at all as I am a control freak according to OH and I love working the gears!
Old Oct 16th 2015, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Rodney, I don't even like to drive here in Florida, where the roads are wide with many lanes. I used to drive in London when I was in my early 20's with no problems. But as I get older I find it difficult to feel comfortable on the road, especially at night as I suffer from night blindness.

Had no idea that Pompey was the most densely populated city - you would think that would have been London. You must live a bit out in the suburbs though, right, in order to not feel it?

OH and I struggle between city and countryside - and not wanting a car informs much of that choice. One reason for wanting to be out of the city is to be able to have a garden to grow veggies and flowers. Not likely able to afford it in the city, but hard to find a place out of it where there is decent public transport that you can be confident won't change. ".

Perth, will give bigger update sooner as just been connected today but we are putting our names down with the Allotment Association as our small town has two large allotments and neighbours on both sides of us have one each and grow everything they need and more! Hoping this will be a nice hobby for OH. One of the allotments we can walk to or take our bikes. Hoping to get one with an old shed on to store stuff in even a camping stove to make a cup of tea! We have seen a bus service here but we can walk into our High Street which takes anout 20 minutes. Yesterday drove to Henley-on-Thames and both said we may take bus instead as the parking was the problem at £1.30 hour or £8 for over 5 hours. Parking prices are ridiculously expensive. Lucky in our town the Sainbury store gives you a voucher for free 1 hour parking.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 16th 2015 at 12:36 pm. Reason: Fixed quote
Old Oct 16th 2015, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Perth, will give bigger update sooner as just been connected today but we are putting our names down with the Allotment Association as our small town has two large allotments and neighbours on both sides of us have one each and grow everything they need and more! Hoping this will be a nice hobby for OH. One of the allotments we can walk to or take our bikes. Hoping to get one with an old shed on to store stuff in even a camping stove to make a cup of tea! We have seen a bus service here but we can walk into our High Street which takes anout 20 minutes. Yesterday drove to Henley-on-Thames and both said we may take bus instead as the parking was the problem at £1.30 hour or £8 for over 5 hours. Parking prices are ridiculously expensive. Lucky in our town the Sainbury store gives you a voucher for free 1 hour parking.
Sounds lovely. Looks like you are settling in well. Looking forward to hearing more.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 16th 2015 at 12:33 pm. Reason: Fixed quote
Old Oct 16th 2015, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
This is a very uplifting thread to those of us still dithering about making a UK return or not.

I'm now hoping to make a visit next UK Spring to see if I can unravel the mush in my head about where I wish to spend my adage. I wear myself out thinking about it all and sometimes it does all seem too huge to contemplate.

It will be my first trip back in nearly seven years , so just thinking about that is quite .....something. I don't know if it is scary , exciting or what.

Reading the posts from those that have re-settled helps to make it all seem a whole lot less daunting in a way.

Crikey. I'm so hopeless. I've only been gone eleven years or so but just thinking about the visit gives me the goose bumps for some reason.
Hi Bevs, sounds really exciting, next spring would be a good time to come back for a visit, I have a feeling that you will want to come back home to stay once you have had a nice time here, do you have family here in UK and where? and where are you living now? 7 years since your last visit --- not too bad, I only came back to visit my family every 4 or 5 years or so, but I eventually came home for good 5 years ago, I'm 70 now and very happily retired, still looking after my 96 year young Mum, I live in Pompey, (Portsmouth) its the city I was born and raised in so its nice and familiar to me, which I do believe played a big advantage for me to settle in to my new life much easier, plus I have other relatives here, I have never been happier ---- really I mean that!!! but I would not have missed my 36 years in the U.S. for all the tea in China, I loved my life there, no regrets at all, but for me the knock on the door came when I reached retirement age of 65, so then I said a loving goodbye to the US. and homeward bound for me it was ---- never looked back!!!!
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Oct 17th 2015, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rod and others who are on Social Security, there is no cost of living increase for 2016. ( darn there goes the new bike you were planning on getting.)
Old Oct 17th 2015, 7:30 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Bevs, sounds really exciting, next spring would be a good time to come back for a visit, I have a feeling that you will want to come back home to stay once you have had a nice time here, do you have family here in UK and where? and where are you living now? 7 years since your last visit --- not too bad, I only came back to visit my family every 4 or 5 years or so, but I eventually came home for good 5 years ago, I'm 70 now and very happily retired, still looking after my 96 year young Mum, I live in Pompey, (Portsmouth) its the city I was born and raised in so its nice and familiar to me, which I do believe played a big advantage for me to settle in to my new life much easier, plus I have other relatives here, I have never been happier ---- really I mean that!!! but I would not have missed my 36 years in the U.S. for all the tea in China, I loved my life there, no regrets at all, but for me the knock on the door came when I reached retirement age of 65, so then I said a loving goodbye to the US. and homeward bound for me it was ---- never looked back!!!!

Take care,
Rodney.
Thats really interesting about settling back in your original town. We are moving back next year from Auckland and i originally planned to go to Scotland as was born there, but having lived 35+ years in Manchester i have suddenly felt the pull and comfort of familiarity and am considering Manchester again. Its so strange how it works... Job wise there are so many to choose from for me in Manchester it seems the sensible option.

And Bevs, good luck next year, i am sure it will help unravel those thoughts, we do get tied in knots not knowing what to do. For me i know i don't belong in new zealand and cant wait to belong again...
Old Oct 17th 2015, 11:39 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

BEVS we're planning on a second recce back next year too, I understand how you feel about it being daunting and such a huge decision. The only thing we know for sure is we are not staying where we are!

Loved your pics of Morecombe Bay Beedubya. It's one of the places OH wants to check out. I sometimes feel excited about a potential return and sometimes sad that it may come to the end of what was a dream. We are still looking at Ontario but at the moment I think the needle is pointing abck to the UK and for the 1st time I'm really ok with that.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
Thats really interesting about settling back in your original town. We are moving back next year from Auckland and i originally planned to go to Scotland as was born there, but having lived 35+ years in Manchester i have suddenly felt the pull and comfort of familiarity and am considering Manchester again. Its so strange how it works... Job wise there are so many to choose from for me in Manchester it seems the sensible option.

And Bevs, good luck next year, i am sure it will help unravel those thoughts, we do get tied in knots not knowing what to do. For me i know i don't belong in new zealand and cant wait to belong again...
Hi Sparkley and welcome, yes Manchester does in your case sound like a very good option, if you still are of working age and need to find a Job, plus it may be a couple of degrees warmer in the winter compared to Scotland and as you say you were living there for 35+ years,
How long have you lived in New Zealand for? and how old are you?
Old Oct 18th 2015, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Another one here not going back from whence they originated - in my case London. No way we could afford it, and any family left there is distant. We started looking at smaller cities 3 years ago - first Exeter, then Cardiff, but have now settled on Norwich. No doubt we will move to somewhere outside the city for the long term, but for right now we want to get a little taste of culture we have so missed here in Florida. I am spending as much time looking at the clubs and organisations we will want to get involved with as much as the housing prospects. It's all very exciting. Good luck to everyone here who is still deciding where to go, or even if to go
Old Oct 19th 2015, 4:12 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Sparkley and welcome, yes Manchester does in your case sound like a very good option, if you still are of working age and need to find a Job, plus it may be a couple of degrees warmer in the winter compared to Scotland and as you say you were living there for 35+ years,
How long have you lived in New Zealand for? and how old are you?
Hi, yes it would be a bit warmer, but probably not by that much! We've been here 8+ years now, so 9 when we return. I have just turned 50 and DH is 52. Our younger daughter who will be 26 will be returning with us, but our elder one may stay here, she will be 28 - she's not sure at the moment. There are plenty of really good opportunities in and around Manchester, and although there are some in Glasgow, probably not as many or as diverse. But who knows - if I get a job before I return that will dictate where we go - although not London or the SE - just too expensive. I have the possibility of a really good job and that is Shrewsbury - so that would be ok, but have to wait until nearer our move date to see if that will progress
Old Oct 20th 2015, 10:51 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Last year, in May, I moved to the South Lakes, yes my beloved Cumbria again, the locals round here still consider it Lancashire though. I live overlooking Morecambe Bay and when I came for my interview for this job/home and got off the train last year I just looked over the bay and said to myself "I HAVE to get this job" and here I am living in a village and loving every day of my life.
Lovely to hear from you! My mum used to live near Millom (The Hill) and had a view out over the estuary that was lovely. She moved recently though to be closer to me.

I'm so glad you're happy and settled
Old Oct 20th 2015, 10:55 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
Hi, yes it would be a bit warmer, but probably not by that much! We've been here 8+ years now, so 9 when we return. I have just turned 50 and DH is 52. Our younger daughter who will be 26 will be returning with us, but our elder one may stay here, she will be 28 - she's not sure at the moment. There are plenty of really good opportunities in and around Manchester, and although there are some in Glasgow, probably not as many or as diverse. But who knows - if I get a job before I return that will dictate where we go - although not London or the SE - just too expensive. I have the possibility of a really good job and that is Shrewsbury - so that would be ok, but have to wait until nearer our move date to see if that will progress
The good thing is that Manchester has changed enormously since the bombing. It's very well-to-do and cosmopolitan now, and I think is has become the UK's second city as far as culture goes. You can see some great things there.

We saw Kenneth Branagh playing MacBeth in a small church last year - just amazing and something you couldn't even see in London. The restaurants and bars are world-class as is the shopping. I'm a country girl myself, but if I were ever to be forced to live in a city, Manchester would be my choice.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 9:41 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
The good thing is that Manchester has changed enormously since the bombing. It's very well-to-do and cosmopolitan now, and I think is has become the UK's second city as far as culture goes. You can see some great things there.

We saw Kenneth Branagh playing MacBeth in a small church last year - just amazing and something you couldn't even see in London. The restaurants and bars are world-class as is the shopping. I'm a country girl myself, but if I were ever to be forced to live in a city, Manchester would be my choice.
Those are all the things I miss so much being over here. It was quite nice at first to be away from the hustle and bustle, but just looking at the Christmas markets, theatre, concerts etc makes me want to cry. At least we have a rough date for the move - so makes me look forward to next winter - a real Christmas, none of this warm rubbish and we can see whoever is one wherever. Thinking of Didsbury this time. We used to live Sale & Altrincham, but want to be closer to the city centre and an easy commute by public transport as dislike driving.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Another one here not going back from whence they originated - in my case London. No way we could afford it, and any family left there is distant. We started looking at smaller cities 3 years ago - first Exeter, then Cardiff, but have now settled on Norwich. No doubt we will move to somewhere outside the city for the long term, but for right now we want to get a little taste of culture we have so missed here in Florida. I am spending as much time looking at the clubs and organisations we will want to get involved with as much as the housing prospects. It's all very exciting. Good luck to everyone here who is still deciding where to go, or even if to go
Hello Perth I'm coming rather late to the conversation so apologies if you've already answered this question elsewhere but can I ask why you've settled on Norwich, in preference to Exeter and Cardiff? I'm interested because I'm hoping to move back to the UK myself in a few years (when I retire) and these are the 3 cities that I have shortlisted, based on the little research I've done so far.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Norwich is where John and June from this thread live since they came home from 20 years in America.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.