Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 9th 2015, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by curleytops
Believe it or not Rod, the weather in these parts has been pretty good of late. Fish if I'd known you were coming I'd have put the kettle on.
Thats why I didnt tell you, I didnt want to be a bother...
Old Oct 9th 2015, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Just got back from 2 weeks in the UK, Fab trip, only one day of rain, spent 3 days in the Lake district, enjoyed it once again.
Fish you have been holding out on us, I didn't know you had a trip planned.

Did you look at the price of some properties while you were there?

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

We went to the doctors yesterday. 612 miles there and 612 miles back?????

Cheers

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 10th 2015 at 12:59 pm. Reason: Fixed quote
Old Oct 10th 2015, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Just got back from 2 weeks in the UK, Fab trip, only one day of rain, spent 3 days in the Lake district, enjoyed it once again.

Cheers
Like you I'm always looking at properties in the UK, and yes I saw a few I liked, I must admit I love the fittings used in Kitchens and Bathrooms, the latest styles are lovely and not so expensive.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 10th 2015 at 12:58 pm. Reason: Fixed. quotes
Old Oct 10th 2015, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
cheers why do you have to travel over 600 miles to see your doctor? do you live in the outback/bush? in the old days in Oz when I was living there the northern territory was like that ---- unless you lived right in Darwin.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 10th 2015 at 12:58 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Perth, ---- Portsmouth where I live --- and my home town where I was born and raised ---- has a fantastic public transport service, buses run from and to just about everywhere every 10 or 15 minutes, and guess what they are just about always on time, its a city by the sea with a population of just over 200,000 people, its renowned as the most densely populated city in the whole of the U.K. but when you live here it just does not seem or feel that way at all,
I don't drive here, I wouldn't like to either, the british roads I think would be very hard to get used to, especially if you came from America or Canada or Oz
Rodney, I don't even like to drive here in Florida, where the roads are wide with many lanes. I used to drive in London when I was in my early 20's with no problems. But as I get older I find it difficult to feel comfortable on the road, especially at night as I suffer from night blindness.

Had no idea that Pompey was the most densely populated city - you would think that would have been London. You must live a bit out in the suburbs though, right, in order to not feel it?

OH and I struggle between city and countryside - and not wanting a car informs much of that choice. One reason for wanting to be out of the city is to be able to have a garden to grow veggies and flowers. Not likely able to afford it in the city, but hard to find a place out of it where there is decent public transport that you can be confident won't change.

Rock and a hard place comes to mind.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why I didnt tell you, I didnt want to be a bother...
How very British of you

How did you feel about the trip back, Fish? Still as eager as ever to return home?
Old Oct 12th 2015, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Perth
How very British of you

How did you feel about the trip back, Fish? Still as eager as ever to return home?
Oh yes I still want to go back, I see some negatives every time I go back I find a few but still I love the Old Country, its where I belong.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
cheers why do you have to travel over 600 miles to see your doctor? do you live in the outback/bush? in the old days in Oz when I was living there the northern territory was like that ---- unless you lived right in Darwin.
DW likes to go to the cardiologist who fitted her with the defibrillator. His practice is in the LA area.

Any rain in your area?

Cheers
Old Oct 12th 2015, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

DW likes to go to the cardiologist who fitted her with the defibrillator. His practice is in the LA area.

Any rain in your area?

Cheers
Thanks cheers for letting me know, I don't know if I told you but I had a pacemaker implanted a year ago here in Pompey, had it done at the main hospital here, the cardiologist that did the Op did a great Job, I have to go back to the hospital once a year and technicians check the pacemaker and do a few tests on it with there equipment to make sure its still doing its Job, But unless I have any more problems I don't have to actually see my Cardiologist anymore.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rodney, I don't even like to drive here in Florida, where the roads are wide with many lanes. I used to drive in London when I was in my early 20's with no problems. But as I get older I find it difficult to feel comfortable on the road, especially at night as I suffer from night blindness.

Had no idea that Pompey was the most densely populated city - you would think that would have been London. You must live a bit out in the suburbs though, right, in order to not feel it?

OH and I struggle between city and countryside - and not wanting a car informs much of that choice. One reason for wanting to be out of the city is to be able to have a garden to grow veggies and flowers. Not likely able to afford it in the city, but hard to find a place out of it where there is decent public transport that you can be confident won't change.

Rock and a hard place comes to mind.
Hi Perth,we live a 10 minute walk from a high street full of all the shops you will need, there are rough areas here, but thankfully where we live is a nice peaceful residential area, you talk about a garden, well the majority of houses here are terraced houses with really long gardens, with lovely rich soil where you could grow all your own veggies of every kind that would keep a family of four completely self sufficient for life it would be especially great for vegetarians
Goldie Hawn was one of the loose women on the british loose women show here today, it was really great to here her chat with the other women,
Old Oct 13th 2015, 11:37 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

To truly appreciate the Lake District check out this web site, originally posted years ago by Cheers, Thanks mate.

Look at those wonderful pics of the water at Ambleside...

This week on Lakeland Cam
Can't believe you were here and didn't let me know - we'd have had our kettle on too! I'm so glad you had a nice time and that you enjoyed our lovely Autumn weather. It's finally starting to feel a bit nippy - had my coat, scarf and hat on this morning when I went for a walk. Still, I do live up in the hills where it's always chillier than down below.

Just catching up with the posts after a long time away. Feelbritish, it's so good to hear that you got home!

It's three and a half years ago today since I moved back and I have been thankful every one of those days.

Yesterday while out for a walk, my husband and I stopped to chat to one of our local farmers. He's 71 and has never lived anywhere else - lovely man. Anyway, he was asking if we ever want to go back to America for a visit and was so surprised that we both instantly said no. I told him can't imagine I'll ever want to get on a plane again.

When we first moved back, I thought we would travel all over Europe, but it's like I've been planted here and can't move! I just don't seem to have the desire to travel anymore, which is odd seeing that I spent so much of my life on the move.

Earlier this year I went on a drawing course in Oxford (my first trip down south since coming home) and after it was over, my husband came down to meet me and we went to the Cotswolds. It was nice enough, but a bit of a letdown after the scenery around us and further north in the Dales and the Lakes. I thought Oxford was pretty and interesting but far too crowded. We decided we're done with holidays for a while and will stick to day trips

Sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake all those years ago when I blithely agreed to move abroad, too young and inexperienced to understand what I was agreeing to, but on balance I think not. Because I don't think I would love it here so much if I hadn't gone away.

Well anyway, it's been great reading everyone's updates. Off to catch up some more! Hope everyone stays well and happy.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 11:42 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

trottytrue, I am so sorry to hear about your husband. My mother-in-law has dementia and I think her husband is now starting with it. As the main carer, it's vital that you take care of yourself. I'm sure you know that, but people often try to do too much and then wind up ill themselves. Please take care of yourself.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Trottytrue.

So sorry to hear about your husband, My Mum had dementia, its an awful disease, I echo sallys comments about looking after yourself, It really is most important. Take Care.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, I don't even like to drive here in Florida, where the roads are wide with many lanes. I used to drive in London when I was in my early 20's with no problems. But as I get older I find it difficult to feel comfortable on the road, especially at night as I suffer from night blindness. Had no idea that Pompey was the most densely populated city - you would think that would have been London. You must live a bit out in the suburbs though, right, in order to not feel it? OH and I struggle between city and countryside - and not wanting a car informs much of that choice. One reason for wanting to be out of the city is to be able to have a garden to grow veggies and flowers. Not likely able to afford it in the city, but hard to find a place out of it where there is decent public transport that you can be confident won't change. Rock and a hard place comes to mind.
One of my daughters lives in London, Barnes to be exact.She has a small garden with her house but also has an allotment.She grows a lot of vegetables and there is quite an active group of people with allotments sharing seeds and tips for growing.They are managed by the local council I believe.

Last edited by ottotheboar; Oct 13th 2015 at 4:01 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
One of my daughters lives in London, Barnes to be exact.She has a small garden with her house but also has an allotment.She grows a lot of vegetables and there is quite an active group of people with allotments sharing seeds and tips for growing.They are managed by the local council I believe.
Allotments are great for people without gardens, but always a long waiting list. Still, something to consider. My husband is brilliant at growing veggies.

Last time I lived in London I was a carer for my grandmother. She had a lovely ground flat in West Hampstead with a sizable garden. My grandfather used to grow the most beautiful flowers that were the envy of the neighbourhood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.