Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by curleytops
For Fish....I hope this displays ok. Last Thursday we escaped the ugly part and got a look at greener pastures. Hard to believe this is less than half an hour from my house.
Just lovely.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

For Fish....I hope this displays ok. Last Thursday we escaped the ugly part and got a look at greener pastures. Hard to believe this is less than half an hour from my house.
WOW curley I clicked to enlarge this picture and I imagined I died and went to heaven, where is this place? its truly beautiful in so many ways, and peaceful and untouched,
Old Jul 15th 2015, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Yes this drought is terrible and this dry weather is sucking everything out of my garden and I am looking forward also to not have those pesky problems and a much smaller more manageable garden. I too am an avid gardener and artist and will join the local Horticultural Society immediately I get there. Am trying to just keep garden going until we move but heard yesterday that the buyers do not garden and intend to rip up my beds and lay lawn, obviously back to the normal Canadian "yard"! Still not my problem anymore, they can stick a cell phone tower in the back for all I care!
Yes, I am thinking of going to a much smaller garden next time around. Then it might have a chance of getting weeded, etc.! Nice not to have the responsibility of a huge garden when you go home.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
WOW curley I clicked to enlarge this picture and I imagined I died and went to heaven, where is this place? its truly beautiful in so many ways, and peaceful and untouched,
Rodney, this is near Buttermere in the Lake District. It was a beautiful day, warm with a light breeze and no humidity - I remarked to my Dad that it was very like the Indian Summer days we would sometimes get in Canada. There were lots of sheep wandering about here and there so we had a great excuse for driving s-l-o-w-l-y and I got a kick out of this sign printed in the local dialect:
Attached Thumbnails Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up-buttermere-road-sign.jpg  
Old Jul 15th 2015, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, this is near Buttermere in the Lake District. It was a beautiful day, warm with a light breeze and no humidity - I remarked to my Dad that it was very like the Indian Summer days we would sometimes get in Canada. There were lots of sheep wandering about here and there so we had a great excuse for driving s-l-o-w-l-y and I got a kick out of this sign printed in the local dialect:
priceless!!!!
Old Jul 16th 2015, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

our container was loaded today and they actually got on everything we wanted and there was room for more~ On a side note my visa docs should have been sent back by DHL today but nothing arrived The stress has nearly destroyed us both! Hopefully tomorrow morning my visa arrives and we can relax a bit! Having a massive garage sale Sat and now cleaning up house for new owners who take over on 21st July! Onwards and upwards so they say!
Old Jul 16th 2015, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

our container was loaded today and they actually got on everything we wanted and there was room for more~ On a side note my visa docs should have been sent back by DHL today but nothing arrived The stress has nearly destroyed us both! Hopefully tomorrow morning my visa arrives and we can relax a bit! Having a massive garage sale Sat and now cleaning up house for new owners who take over on 21st July! Onwards and upwards so they say!
Wow! It's all happening so fast. You wouldn't be normal if you weren't feeling some stress. Even positive changes create stress. But, it seems as though you have everything well in hand. Each job checked off is one less thing to worry about. Wouldn't sweat the visa. It will probably come tomorrow.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 9:00 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I guess there is always something! Towards the end we were panicking over the paperwork for the cats. But it does work out in the end.

I expect you are like me and will clean the house from top to bottom. We hadn't been told that the new owners were intending to remodel. Within a week of our moving out the interior had been stripped back to the studs!
Old Jul 16th 2015, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I guess there is always something! Towards the end we were panicking over the paperwork for the cats. But it does work out in the end.

I expect you are like me and will clean the house from top to bottom. We hadn't been told that the new owners were intending to remodel. Within a week of our moving out the interior had been stripped back to the studs!
ha ha yes I am cleaning from head to toe and I don't think they will remodel yet as we did it all for them! Got the self cleaning oven going at moment! Want to leave here with our heads held high!
Old Jul 16th 2015, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well got visa today, 24 hours to make decision by sheffield and 5 days for DHL to get it here! Now we are officially rovers returning to our home!
Old Jul 16th 2015, 11:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well got visa today, 24 hours to make decision by sheffield and 5 days for DHL to get it here! Now we are officially rovers returning to our home!
Did someone mention my hometown?

How exciting for you. Hope it all goes well.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 1:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 18th 2015, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

O.K. so the curiosity is killing me, what part of Sheffield are you from?...

I lived on the outskirts, I went to college and worked in Sheffield before coming here.

I love Sheffield and claim it as my own, although I was born just over the border in Derbyshire, I took Sheffield for granted as its all Id ever known, I really miss it, its truly a marvelous city.

You are really lucky to be going back.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 10:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
O.K. so the curiosity is killing me, what part of Sheffield are you from?...

I lived on the outskirts, I went to college and worked in Sheffield before coming here.

I love Sheffield and claim it as my own, although I was born just over the border in Derbyshire, I took Sheffield for granted as its all Id ever known, I really miss it, its truly a marvelous city.

You are really lucky to be going back.
It's decades since I've been back...but I still consider it home!
Old Jul 18th 2015, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's decades since I've been back...but I still consider it home!
I'm going back for a visit in a few months and my best friend has a day out planned for us in the Sheffield area, including Fish n Chips from this chippy in Hillsboro that cooks with lard, it was recently featured in "The Star" voted as Sheffields best in 2015.

We may also stop by the car dealer owned by Mike Brewer of Wheeler Dealer fame, its on Bramall Lane.

The last time I went over he took me to a railway station in Pickering that still uses steam engines that travel to Whitby... its always interesting that's for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.