Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 27th 2015, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

So I'm back home and to the heat. I'm trying to cool the house down because it was 96 inside the house when we arrived home last evening. We accidentally left the a window open in the bathroom which was not smart especially since it was 108 degrees outside.

We really enjoyed ourselves in Durango, Colorado. Think- riding the old steam train for 4 hours and then the next day riding the rapids down the river.
A few weeks ago we were riding horses in Alaska which was the first time on a horse in about 50 years.

They tell me these are on the Bucket List.

Now to rest for awhile until we go to LA next week.
Cheers
Old Jun 27th 2015, 6:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I have posted this in another thread I started years ago but I need to say this here too for my friends following my progress:

HOUSE IS SOLD!!!!
Buyers signed off the conditions on us reducing price again! It is not what we really wanted but we can deal with that. The exchange rate is also not in our favour at this time so we will not be doing any Queen Mary travels over to England! I can deal with that too, perhaps one day!

We do have to get out quickly by 21st July so I am in a mad rush to start organising everything. My visa will be the next big bit of stress to arrange as we have decided to go back on spouse visa due to not wanting to work.

As before, initially we thought of moving to somewhere new and renting a vacation rental until we find a house to buy, but back to plan A and we will move back to our old home in Buckinghamshire because we know the area, house and the transition will be easier on OH.

I feel so sad for OH, he really dragged his feet this afternoon when we had to go and sign. He is so depressed at moment and I really hope he perks up

As predicted our friends came over last week from UK and raved about our house and area especially after we drove them around everywhere. It is beautiful here and I loved having company. Both our families are going to be happy we are moving back, the only one not so happy at moment is OH but I truly believe he will settle once he realises I am happy. I do hope so because it is so hard for us not to be on the same page.

Looking back on my posts this has really been a roller coaster ride!
Thank goodness it's done.
Now get packing
Old Jun 28th 2015, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
hi bandrui, it was the septic that was the problem, the field as you know was working but had lot of sludge and tree roots in it despite us having it pumped out 3 years ago and of course the buyers really played on this to get more money off the purchase price! The field was working at 50% capacity so as it had not failed we agreed to a further $10 000 off the price and we can now walk away from it all. Whether they fix it or just bank the money is now their problem. I always say that if things start falling into place then it is meant to be and despite the terrible stress we have been under there was only so much we could do! When it is your turn I wish you everything of the best.
Hi FB. I am thrilled for you! I would have done the same thing in your situation because it is only going to come up again and again with every prospective buyer. I can only hope that mine sells when the time comes. Funny... you are almost neigbours here and I grew up in the neigbouring county in England... Bedfordshire, so know Bucks a bit.

I am in the last week of a job I have given notice on which will leave me on a very tight budget but at least I will have more time to start going through the house. (I was working at gardening jobs during the day and administrator work at night and meetings during the day... it was sucking all my time!)

I must confess that I am a bit envious that you have a home to go back to. When I go, it will be a big question mark as to where and how I live. I will have most of the money from the house but no real plans. I fancy living in Dorset, or at least the South West somewhere which is why I drove around down there last year. I would like to live by the sea. Perhaps Swanage. Anyway, it's still a bit of a dream. Lots to do before then.

And it's really great that you have a house until the end of September. Things definitely seem to be working out in your favour.

I don't know about you, but I am really sick of this heat and drought. We are into Extreme Fire Danger as I am sure you are too. Every summer it's the same and this year is particularly bad due, apparently, to a super El Nino weather pattern. I'm a gardener and long to have a garden where I'm not struggling against lack of water, deer, rabbits, raccoons and now the crow are eating all the cherries off my tree. I have come to appreciate the rainy days in England!

I feel sure that all will go smoothly for you and look forward to following your story. You are so good at keeping us posted. Your OH will be fine once he gets home.

I'm watching Glastonbury festival on BBC Iplayer and remembering many great visits to Glastonbury.

All the best to your both.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
So I'm back home and to the heat. I'm trying to cool the house down because it was 96 inside the house when we arrived home last evening. We accidentally left the a window open in the bathroom which was not smart especially since it was 108 degrees outside.

We really enjoyed ourselves in Durango, Colorado. Think- riding the old steam train for 4 hours and then the next day riding the rapids down the river.
A few weeks ago we were riding horses in Alaska which was the first time on a horse in about 50 years.

Cheers
You're in this heat and drought too... hotter than here. I see they are talking about depopulating California . Apparently CA has 35.5 million people . When you are in drought, you realize that water is the stuff of life.

http://www.naturalnews.com/050160_de...ry_Brown.html#
Old Jun 28th 2015, 9:23 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

FB. Congratulations on the sale of your house. I wish you all the best with your move and hope OH will be happy too.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 9:29 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Hi FB. I am thrilled for you! I would have done the same thing in your situation because it is only going to come up again and again with every prospective buyer. I can only hope that mine sells when the time comes. Funny... you are almost neigbours here and I grew up in the neigbouring county in England... Bedfordshire, so know Bucks a bit.

I am in the last week of a job I have given notice on which will leave me on a very tight budget but at least I will have more time to start going through the house. (I was working at gardening jobs during the day and administrator work at night and meetings during the day... it was sucking all my time!)

I must confess that I am a bit envious that you have a home to go back to. When I go, it will be a big question mark as to where and how I live. I will have most of the money from the house but no real plans. I fancy living in Dorset, or at least the South West somewhere which is why I drove around down there last year. I would like to live by the sea. Perhaps Swanage. Anyway, it's still a bit of a dream. Lots to do before then.

And it's really great that you have a house until the end of September. Things definitely seem to be working out in your favour.

I don't know about you, but I am really sick of this heat and drought. We are into Extreme Fire Danger as I am sure you are too. Every summer it's the same and this year is particularly bad due, apparently, to a super El Nino weather pattern. I'm a gardener and long to have a garden where I'm not struggling against lack of water, deer, rabbits, raccoons and now the crow are eating all the cherries off my tree. I have come to appreciate the rainy days in England!

I feel sure that all will go smoothly for you and look forward to following your story. You are so good at keeping us posted. Your OH will be fine once he gets home.

I'm watching Glastonbury festival on BBC Iplayer and remembering many great visits to Glastonbury.

All the best to your both.
I love gardening here. I ripped out the garden last year and this year I am planting almost from scratch, but unlike in Calgary, my garden has in a short space of time started to fill in. It is not mature by any stretch of the imagination, but I know it will not take years to get there.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

Cheers
My my my cheers you HAVE been a very busy bee lately haven't you, well I think bucket lists are good really, it means that we don't need to wait until we are ready to kick the bucket before we start living some of the things on our list, if we leave it too late we may not have time to compleat the list at all ----- or not healthy enough!!!!
So one of the things on my bucket list is riding a horse again, me like you have not rode a horse for over 50 years, and I love horses ----- so all I got to do now is ---- find a horse
Old Jun 28th 2015, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

feelbritish ------ congratulations on the sale of your house, good for you, I think your hubby will come around to liking living in England when the time comes, the big problem though I think we all have when we make the big move and come home is we spend so much time in the early weeks and months comparing the life we now have in the UK to what we left behind in America/Canada etc etc, we all do it I think,
and especially when we buy food, you will be constantly converting the prices from pounds into dollars in your mind, but after a while it passes, but even now after almost 5 years back --- I find myself converting occasionally.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
. I fancy living in Dorset, or at least the South West somewhere which is why I drove around down there last year. I would like to live by the sea. Perhaps Swanage. Anyway, it's still a bit of a dream. Lots to do before then. We are also looking at Dorset, Devon and even Cornwall perhaps in the future, will buy a caravan and travel first seeing where we like, if it is still what we want. Bucks is just too far from sea and at moment I look out lounge window onto Georgia Straights and both of us love the coast

Yes this drought is terrible and this dry weather is sucking everything out of my garden and I am looking forward also to not have those pesky problems and a much smaller more manageable garden. I too am an avid gardener and artist and will join the local Horticultural Society immediately I get there. Am trying to just keep garden going until we move but heard yesterday that the buyers do not garden and intend to rip up my beds and lay lawn, obviously back to the normal Canadian "yard"! Still not my problem anymore, they can stick a cell phone tower in the back for all I care!
Old Jul 11th 2015, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Visited Buckfast Abbey in Devon yesterday. It was a lovely sunny day, very bright sky - few clouds. The Abbey has recently been renovated on the outside and looks beautiful. Here are some photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...57655672390396
Old Jul 11th 2015, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Visited Buckfast Abbey in Devon yesterday. It was a lovely sunny day, very bright sky - few clouds. The Abbey has recently been renovated on the outside and looks beautiful. Here are some photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...57655672390396
Awesome pics Rosie, so many good ones, The stain glass windows are beautiful.

Thanks for the jump start...
Old Jul 12th 2015, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Oh to be in the Lake District any day of the year, rain or shine...
I just love that place...

For Fish....I hope this displays ok. Last Thursday we escaped the ugly part and got a look at greener pastures. Hard to believe this is less than half an hour from my house.
Attached Thumbnails Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up-buttermere-pano4_small.jpg  
Old Jul 12th 2015, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome pics Rosie, so many good ones, The stain glass windows are beautiful.

Thanks for the jump start...
Thanks Fish. It was a lovely day out. Took the bus - two hours each way, with connections at Newton Abbott. Other than that, the scenery is fabulous.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
For Fish....I hope this displays ok. Last Thursday we escaped the ugly part and got a look at greener pastures. Hard to believe this is less than half an hour from my house.
Thanks for the pic, you should go there more often, what a wonderful place.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the pic, you should go there more often, what a wonderful place.
No car I'm afraid. Dad's really spoiled us rotten while he's been here with the rental.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.