Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by morayeel
Thank you for all your support. I talked with my sister today.. I am looking at fares. I am thinking of April. My American nephew had booked me a flight to his wedding in May but air fares rise by 400 dollars from April to May and he booked my flight with a voucher he had to use so no pressure. I would love to attend his wedding in New York but I have to try to save every penny. My grandson was over this morning. I have mentioned my moving back to U.K.. he is sad about it but knows there is Skype.. I will leave my computer here at the trailer for him as he has his games on it and buy a tablet for me to take back. I have been on the U.K Gov job site and saw there are some jobs out there. If I can rent a room, I will put an ad on spare room U.K and Gum tree this week for 300 or 350 per month for a few months with the savings I have that will be great My sister has let me know I can stay with her until I can get a room. I am very fortunate to have support system. My parents reside in Dunoon. They have let me know I can stay with them, but they are eldery in their 80's and I know it would be too much and we would drive each other nuts!! so Elgin is a bigger town with more chance of employment.. Once again thanks for your replies.. I will answer the PM Wednesday.. Work is calling..
Well done! I wish you all the best of luck
Old Jan 26th 2015, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I am ONLY 53 LOL but feel every year of it. Thanks for the information.. I mentioned to my daughter today about my going back and even though she will certainly miss me and I her she completely understands and in fact has encouraged me..My grandson can always come down to my house and hang out on the computer etc mostly he comes here to play games and eat food!! Of course we love each other very much but eventually he will move off and make a life for himself and I will be kicking myself for staying here in the U.S... wish life were easy.. but I feel I am up for the challenge. thanks all again for your help and links
Old Jan 26th 2015, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I am ONLY 53 LOL but feel every year of it. Thanks for the information.. I mentioned to my daughter today about my going back and even though she will certainly miss me and I her she completely understands and in fact has encouraged me..My grandson can always come down to my house and hang out on the computer etc mostly he comes here to play games and eat food!! Of course we love each other very much but eventually he will move off and make a life for himself and I will be kicking myself for staying here in the U.S... wish life were easy.. but I feel I am up for the challenge. thanks all again for your help and links
Great news!!!
And I can tell by your posts that you have defo made up your mind, and you are really serious about moving home I respect someone like you that can make a decision quite quickly and make it happen, again you are very lucky to have family support,
btw how long have you lived in the States for? just curious!!!
anyway good luck, I am completely certain that you are making the right move!!! and you will get a nice clean and comfortable place to stay, and you will get a Job, and you will settle down to life back home ---- where you belong
Old Jan 27th 2015, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Amaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond repute

Well done. You have the whole next chapter of your life ahead of you. You must post updates once you get there. I am sure the time away from the uk will make you appreciate it all the more, and that will be good for your health.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all your support. I talked with my sister today.. I am looking at fares. I am thinking of April. My American nephew had booked me a flight to his wedding in May but air fares rise by 400 dollars from April to May and he booked my flight with a voucher he had to use so no pressure. I would love to attend his wedding in New York but I have to try to save every penny. My grandson was over this morning. I have mentioned my moving back to U.K.. he is sad about it but knows there is Skype.. I will leave my computer here at the trailer for him as he has his games on it and buy a tablet for me to take back. I have been on the U.K Gov job site and saw there are some jobs out there. If I can rent a room, I will put an ad on spare room U.K and Gum tree this week for 300 or 350 per month for a few months with the savings I have that will be great My sister has let me know I can stay with her until I can get a room. I am very fortunate to have support system. My parents reside in Dunoon. They have let me know I can stay with them, but they are eldery in their 80's and I know it would be too much and we would drive each other nuts!! so Elgin is a bigger town with more chance of employment.. Once again thanks for your replies.. I will answer the PM Wednesday.. Work is calling..
Thats all positive, good for you.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
That's great Fish! I might be bending your ear now and again for a bit of info. Getting really excited about it. We really had no idea where we were going to go until my best British friend here in Florida went home there. She has been begging us to move over ever since. But we are caught up in those immigration regulations you've been talking about as the OH is American. We are saving up so as to be able to go the savings instead of income route. Two more years should do it
Two years sounds good.

Bending my ear, hahahaa I havent lived in that area since 1976, I do go back and a lot has changed in the city but still I find my way around.

I love the countryside its just 15 minutes from the centre of Chesterfield.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

I am moved by the courage shown here by expats struggling to improve their situations. All power to you all, I hope you all find what you are looking for.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Two years sounds good.

Bending my ear, hahahaa I havent lived in that area since 1976, I do go back and a lot has changed in the city but still I find my way around.

I love the countryside its just 15 minutes from the centre of Chesterfield.
Actually hoping to live more out towards the countryside. I can't really believe it myself. Coming from London, I had been adamant that I wanted to return, but soon realised it was not financially possible. As time has gone on, we have been more attracted to a small city, with countryside on the doorstep, as well as a move further north rather than staying in the south. Without a forced delay in us moving, we would never have come to this conclusion and might have possibly had a bit of a disastrous return. A case of everything happens for a reason, I suppose.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually hoping to live more out towards the countryside. I can't really believe it myself. Coming from London, I had been adamant that I wanted to return, but soon realised it was not financially possible. As time has gone on, we have been more attracted to a small city, with countryside on the doorstep, as well as a move further north rather than staying in the south. Without a forced delay in us moving, we would never have come to this conclusion and might have possibly had a bit of a disastrous return. A case of everything happens for a reason, I suppose.
In my life I have had a lot of changes, some were planned and some were just circumstances or I had no choice, kind of forced to do this or that, like as though there was no other reasonable alternative at the time, but it seems that just about everything happened in my life for a reason, and in most cases whatever the change ---- for me it turned out to be good, better!!!!
Old Jan 27th 2015, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Matlock is definitely country, its a tourist place, so is Bakewell and Cromford but that's also why they are appealing.

There are plenty of villages to choose from, it all depends on what money you have and what takes your fancy.

Crich is close by and has a lovely tram museum its a great place to visit.

You have something to look forward to.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger------
I've had a hard time getting logged in for the past few weeks,

anyhow,

Rodney, do you read the Las Vegas Review Journal? If so did you read about the lawsuit against the city because a guy who got arrested and put in jail for DUI? He in actuality was having a stroke and they threw him in jail, believing he was drunk, so he got no treatment for his stroke for several days. Way to go!

Man jailed after suffering stroke sues Vegas police | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Jan 28th 2015 at 7:47 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Matlock is definitely country, its a tourist place, so is Bakewell and Cromford but that's also why they are appealing.

There are plenty of villages to choose from, it all depends on what money you have and what takes your fancy.

Crich is close by and has a lovely tram museum its a great place to visit.

You have something to look forward to.
Sounds lovely. We are very much looking forward to it. Thought it would be the museums and the concerts we'd want to go back to the UK for - but not so much anymore. OH has always been a keen bird watcher, and I have developed a late interest in geology. We plan on spending most of our time volunteering with local organisations and getting to know a whole new landscape. Can't wait
Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

trottytrue

How is the snow affecting you in New England?

I've been thinking about you and hoping your not snowed in.

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Jan 29th 2015 at 2:22 am.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by black swan
Here in Australia a crown costs about $1,300 Oz dollars. I get $850 back from my private insurance & have to pay the remainder myself. I can claim one crown a year.
There are three levels of insurance. I have the Budget Saver one at $17mth so is well worth it.
Goverment help for seniors here but on the whole dentistry is expensive & taking out private dentistry insurance is a necessity.
Dental work...my pet peeve. How the heck can anyone afford it here in Canada! I only go when I need to because I don't have any private insurance and there is no government help. It seems that a root canal is about $900, a crown about $1300. Whatever happened to fillings? It seems that everything is a root canal these days. I find it funny that Canada has excellent free medical care but nothing for dental work.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
Dental work...my pet peeve. How the heck can anyone afford it here in Canada! I only go when I need to because I don't have any private insurance and there is no government help. It seems that a root canal is about $900, a crown about $1300. Whatever happened to fillings? It seems that everything is a root canal these days. I find it funny that Canada has excellent free medical care but nothing for dental work.
I will never understand how dental health is not considered urgent enough to cover under general health insurance. DD is a cardio-vascular ICU nurse and she says that in cardiac patients if their teeth are not in good shape all have to be pulled before surgery due to the high risk of infection. And while we are on the subject - vision. Really? Not covered? A number of diseases can be predicted through an eye exam, and surely prevention and treatment of eye diseases themselves should also be under general health.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.