Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 22nd 2014, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Today was a sunny Sunday:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644894188400/

Repairs are being done on the seawall near the Boat Cove and Coryton Cove, my favourite places.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Karrie72;11307400]Hopeless at computers/links blah blah.

But the book is called; 'The GI Bride' by Iris Jones Simantel.

She has a follow up to that about her marriage, how she settled in etc which I also loved called; 'Far From the East End.'

Really compelling reading for anyone interested in war history and immigration etc. We think we have it bad, but those ladies were really brave![

Hi I have read a series of books about real life GI brides, by Duncan Barrett & Nuala Calvi, I think there were 5 books each telling a particular brides story,(i.e Rae's story ect they were very interesting, and some had photos of the person as they are today at the back of the book, there was also a webpage to see more photos, they were very good. Another interesting read, was the sugar girls stories of girls who worked in Tate & Lyle during 40's to 60's and there was also some about the chocolate factories, but I can't remember the names, all told by the girls who worked in them I love all these stories, especially during the war years, how people managed and still had a great love of life
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

My mother worked at the Ovaltine Factory during the early 30's. I wish I had listened to more of her stories.....
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Dunroving..Sounds to me like you have the best of both worlds. Do you think once you retire you will stay in the home you have now or move 4 years is not a long time.
Sorry, I rarely visit BE these days, just so busy.

I only really check this thread lately, so many of the other threads seem like watching the movie Groundhog day (in this age of Google, it amazes me how the same questions get asked again and again).

I almost definitely will move when I retire. I am very lucky to live in a village with a mixed population (everything from long-term benefits recipients to professionals, all living on the same street), within a stone's throw of the city (which I only ever visit because I work there) and of the countryside (which I visit as much as possible).

I realise not many people have open countryside on their doorstep and I enjoy that aspect a lot. But I would like to head back to England when I retire. I find it almost impossible to get people to make the effort to visit because they seem to think it is "too far" (I guess).

Whatever I do, I will do whatever is best for me. I don't think I could live in a city these days, but wouldn't mind living near one, and I have to be within close distance of at least some natural parkland or trails. It's too early to search in earnest, but I have been browsing south Worcestershire, Derbyshire, North Staffs. I may take a road trip to some of these places next summer, just to start scoping them out. I already have a priority list - maybe I just need to call Kirsty and Phil (Location, Location) and get them to sort me out!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
This is the journey from my home to the Medical Clinic - I am living in an awesome place for sure. Huge trees, lots of shade, benches to sit on, a Monkey Puzzle tree, and a lovely little Museum.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644869507930/
What a treat to be able to see this beautiful part of the world, island woman. Thank you!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Sorry, I rarely visit BE these days, just so busy.

I only really check this thread lately, so many of the other threads seem like watching the movie Groundhog day (in this age of Google, it amazes me how the same questions get asked again and again).

I almost definitely will move when I retire. I am very lucky to live in a village with a mixed population (everything from long-term benefits recipients to professionals, all living on the same street), within a stone's throw of the city (which I only ever visit because I work there) and of the countryside (which I visit as much as possible).

I realise not many people have open countryside on their doorstep and I enjoy that aspect a lot. But I would like to head back to England when I retire. I find it almost impossible to get people to make the effort to visit because they seem to think it is "too far" (I guess).

Whatever I do, I will do whatever is best for me. I don't think I could live in a city these days, but wouldn't mind living near one, and I have to be within close distance of at least some natural parkland or trails. It's too early to search in earnest, but I have been browsing south Worcestershire, Derbyshire, North Staffs. I may take a road trip to some of these places next summer, just to start scoping them out. I already have a priority list - maybe I just need to call Kirsty and Phil (Location, Location) and get them to sort me out!
What a great road trip that would be dunroving. If you go on Location, ask for Phil, he's a far better negotiator

Re distance for friends and family to visit, tell 'em they're lucky you didn't move to Australia
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 3:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What a great road trip that would be dunroving. If you go on Location, ask for Phil, he's a far better negotiator

Re distance for friends and family to visit, tell 'em they're lucky you didn't move to Australia
Actually, I really cannot stand Kirsty, so it would have to be Phil.

Re: "distance" I have just given up on trying to persuade people to visit. When I decide on my retirement plans, I will make the decision based on my needs. For me there are other reasons why Scotland/Glasgow doesn't work, so it's certainly not because of other people.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving, my sister lives in Chinley in Derbyshire and I love it. I would seriously consider and am considering a move there in next few years. Not too far from Stockport. Lovely village pubs, tons of trail walks. Seeing another part of Britain has opened my eyes as Preston would kill my soul if I moved here though all my friends are here. I still have more years left in America to get financially set BUT if I move here for good or do USA/UK kind of deal Derbyshire is high on my list.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

greenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Fulwood, I am fairly new on here, but have read everybody's messages with great interest. I understand from your postings that you are visiting the UK, and that you were going to fly into Dublin and then on to Blackpool. How did that part of the trip go? Very well, I hope. I have flown into Dublin in the recent past (and the airport is so very different from what I remember 40 years ago - well, it would be, wouldn't it!).
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

My mother worked at the Ovaltine Factory during the early 30's. I wish I had listened to more of her stories.....
Like you Trottytrue, I miss having my parents around now, so many questions I would love to have asked about the war years and working conditions in the 30's onwards) I have joined a little group here in Belfast called "Belfast yesteryears" its a little forum that share their experiences through the war and put pictures of the old and the new, it is really fascinating, I think the old days produced so many hardworking upstanding people, who just got on with it and still lived life to the full, we have lost so much in the name of progress I feel
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had found out more about my grandparents' lives, apart from the odd snippet it wasn't discussed at all. My Nanna was one of 13 cockney siblings, none of whom could stand eachother One emigrated to Australia and my mum and aunt eventually went over to visit his kids (he had died by then). My Grandad was a career soldier and I would have been very interested to learn more about his time in India.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sally Redux, I first have to get your picture and quote sorted. Why have you got your location as Jail and why have you got that picture up, isn't he some sort of murderer.
my Granny came from a big Irish family but they really didn't discuss much about the past they were so busy getting on with everyday life. And one or other was always falling out.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

greenlane..hello welcome hope you enjoy are forum I have never been to Dublin but over the years I have seen big changes at both London and Manchester. I don't know whereabouts you are in Canada or when you are thinking of moving back you must have been away for a long tome.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sally Redux, I first have to get your picture and quote sorted. Why have you got your location as Jail and why have you got that picture up, isn't he some sort of murderer.
my Granny came from a big Irish family but they really didn't discuss much about the past they were so busy getting on with everyday life. And one or other was always falling out.
Not quite sure what the charges are, it appears to have been some kind of police raid:

'Handsome' felon's mom refutes gang allegations: 'He is so sweet' - Los Angeles Times

I do find it odd that that police department puts mugshots on facebook.

Honestly, I just used it as a quick topical joke but the avatar has kind of grown on me It's a conversation starter!

Yes I think my lot were Irish originally - again rather shrouded in mystery. The concept of ordinary people having any story to tell just wasn't there in those days.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dunroving...the trip sounds like a good plan to me, funny you mention people thinking you are too far away. When we lived in Sandbach my family thought it was too big a trip to travel from Chester or Preston to visit. I decided when I came home I was going to find a place that I really liked as family is fine but can be fickle. The 4 years will fly past especially as you are so busy but the trip will give you a good idea as to what the places are really like. I don't know what the housing market is doing at the moment I think I read that prices are going up. I had friends send me newspapers for the areas I was thinking of moving to now you can read them on line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.