Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 19th 2014, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Formula...I went back and read your posting on 473 very interesting, I wonder if there is a book that goes into detail about the birds used in the War along with other less known facts.

I remember when I left the UK my parents were at the airport to see me off I often wonder what my Father was thinking he was quite old at that time 77, I really don't know what I was thinking I was caught up in the excitement of a life in Florida. If I had only known. I did return a year later he was really happy to see me and I was able to be with him when he died just a year later. I should have stayed and stood my ground 5 years later.
Wow that is tear jerker although he could have been happy for you and having a family representative in Florida.
When I came it was too much of a luxury to go by plane so my Dad saw me off at the ship. He would have been about 50 at the time. I don't know what his emotion was. Never thought about it, but he came from a generation of bottling up his emotion so a handshake and I was on my way. 17 years old and traveling alone. Didn't give it a thought.
I got to see my Dad many times because of frequent visits and I think he died when he was in his 80's. Maybe I should have stayed but I was married to an American sweetheart.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
One of my relatives went as a GI bride. I was told that her father stood and wept saying that he would never see her again.
Wow that really hits me. Can you imagine him seeing his daughter leave not to see her again. Tears
Old Jun 19th 2014, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I think those people who are able to leave a home behind are very fortunate, I have a friend that did that so she was fine when she wanted to go back. Most of us really burn our boats when we leave and don't think about the negatives of leaving, once you are in that foreign country you are stuck. Relatives are fine but they really have their own lives to live and whilst a couple of weeks stay might be fine a long term stay doesn't always work out.

When my children were 5,7 and 9 I went back for the summer and stayed with my Mother, if I was hoping for a long term stay it would never have happened 3 children can really wear anyone down, I spent time with friends and other family members but I knew in my heart I wasn't staying. The children loved the holiday but they also missed their lives in the US. I think if I could have persuaded my OH to move back things might have been different but he had struggled to find a job in the UK the first time he came and back then it was the rule they had to offer the job to two UK residents first and the if they refused my OH was offered the job so he was not going to do that again and it was fuel for his argument on staying put.
That's why I say to all those leaving the UK think carefully before you take that step especially when children are involved.

I think about the first settlers to the US and how their families must have felt waving them off not only to an far off land but a perilous journey as well and also the fact that they would never see them again.

The War brides may not have had the perilous journey but they were certainly stuck in a country they did not know and in many cases bad situations and sadly no way to return home.

I just downloaded the two books by iris jones is Simantel they will make good summer reading.

I wish someone had written a book on the life of an Ex-pat when I was leaving hopefully I would have read it and thought twice about the move.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Exactly this happened to a neighbor of mine back in the UK. During the war, she married an ever-so-charming Yank soldier who wooed her with gifts and sweet-talk about his "huge" property in South Dakota. Turned out it WAS a big house but hours' drive from any sign of civilization, in the middle of nowhere, with brutal winters, long summer droughts .... And he wasn't happy with her complaining about the life and turned quite abusive.

She was afraid to reveal the truth to her family back in Blighty, but after her husband died in the 80s she could return to her home country without shame... after putting up with a life she hated for 40-odd years!
WEBlue hello to you!!!! WOW that is a very sad story, and an amazing true story too, I can only imagine how bad her life must have been, but in the end she was able to return home, but after a life of hell for 40 years, she must have been such a strong woman and with lots of pride!!!!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
One of my relatives went as a GI bride. I was told that her father stood and wept saying that he would never see her again.
it must have been so hard on the war brides family they left behind, I can just put myself in the same shoes as her father, I would be totally heart broken if I knew I would never see my daughter again.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:28 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
WEBlue hello to you!!!! WOW that is a very sad story, and an amazing true story too, I can only imagine how bad her life must have been, but in the end she was able to return home, but after a life of hell for 40 years, she must have been such a strong woman and with lots of pride!!!!
Jasper, she's a wonderful person. I was so fortunate to have her as a next-door neighbor for so many years, and she's still one of the first people I go to see when we visit family back home in the UK. She's such a sociable person who loves to chat with new & old friends, always ready to sit down over a cuppa to ask how your life has been treating you.... I can't imagine her life all alone (except for a stepson for some years) on that remote farmstead with no real company for all those years.

For years she visited the USA regularly to keep in touch with her husband's family and the step-son she helped raise. But she'd always say it was such a pleasure to get on the plane back to Heathrow that she could hardly keep from giggling in glee the whole flight!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share something with you ----- just cause Im so excited!!!!
Just got a phone call from the cardiology dept of Queen Alexander hospital and they asked me if I would like to come in on June 30th to have my pacemaker put in at 8am ----- well you can imagine of course I was over the moon and I said yes of course and thank you very much, the young lady I spoke to her name was Karen, I said you have just made my day, and I said to her do you always get this reaction from everyone that you call and tell them the good news --- she laughed and said yes we do quite often but not all the time!!!
So I am so happy!!! I saw the cardiologist on May 28th and a month later Im having the Op, not bad at all!!! so my GP only came around to the house a few days ago to see me when I was having another of my episodes and just in a few days he was able to use his influence to get the system to get me in sooner,
Anyway that's it, sorry to be talking about myself, but I am just so happy, and it is just instant reaction on the way I feel right now,

That's just one thing of the many things I love about our thread, we can share things and emotions, and just being able to type it where you know people will read it makes you feel much better, it sometimes feels even better then telling your family if you know what I mean?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Jasper, she's a wonderful person. I was so fortunate to have her as a next-door neighbor for so many years, and she's still one of the first people I go to see when we visit family back home in the UK. She's such a sociable person who loves to chat with new & old friends, always ready to sit down over a cuppa to ask how your life has been treating you.... I can't imagine her life all alone (except for a stepson for some years) on that remote farmstead with no real company for all those years.

For years she visited the USA regularly to keep in touch with her husband's family and the step-son she helped raise. But she'd always say it was such a pleasure to get on the plane back to Heathrow that she could hardly keep from giggling in glee the whole flight!
Oh WEBlue that is so lovely, sorry I understood that she was not with us anymore, but she is indeed still alive, wonderful!!! she must be around my Mums age probably I would think ---- 95?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,
Just got a phone call from the cardiology dept of Queen Alexander hospital and they asked me if I would like to come in on June 30th to have my pacemaker put in at 8am ----- well you can imagine of course I was over the moon and I said yes of course and thank you very much, the young lady I spoke to her name was Karen, I said you have just made my day, and I said to her do you always get this reaction from everyone that you call and tell them the good news --- she laughed and said yes we do quite often but not all the time!!!
So I am so happy!!! I saw the cardiologist on May 28th and a month later Im having the Op, not bad at all!!! so my GP only came around to the house a few days ago to see me when I was having another of my episodes and just in a few days he was able to use his influence to get the system to get me in sooner,
Anyway that's it, sorry to be talking about myself, but I am just so happy, and it is just instant reaction on the way I feel right now,

Great news for you! You must be relieved...

I remember my Dad seeing me off at heathrow in '91. I was a naive 19 year old going to Alaska. I went in to Boots to pick up a toothbrush and as a result almost missed my flight. I had a very hurried goodbye with my Dad, who is sweet but an old fashioned guy. I'll never forget the look on his face and what he said, 'You'll always be English, don't forget that.' Sniff

That's just one thing of the many things I love about our thread, we can share things and emotions, and just being able to type it where you know people will read it makes you feel much better, it sometimes feels even better then telling your family if you know what I mean?
thumbsup:Great news for you! You must be relieved...

I remember my Dad seeing me off at heathrow in '91. I was a naive 19 year old going to Alaska. I went in to Boots to pick up a toothbrush and as a result almost missed my flight. I had a very hurried goodbye with my Dad, who is sweet but an old fashioned guy. I'll never forget the look on his face and what he said, 'You'll always be English, don't forget that.' Sniff
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Great news, thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Great news Good luck with the OP.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Excellent. Roll on the 30th.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John,
Yes it was all the info that they got from the monitor thats inside me that led to the appointment I had recently with my cardiologist that made him decide that a pacemaker is what I need, the NHS is wonderful!!! and even if I do have to wait for the usual 6 to 8 weeks I dont think that is a long time at all, Im just very grateful for all the treatment Im getting,
Hope you and June are doing fine, take care,
Rodney.
Hi Rodney, yes, we're both well, maybe, just maybe will be down your way later in year, no dates set yet.
Our couple minor treatments by the NHS have worked out fine too.

Edit 1. I just read your post about your implant appointment. Good luck.

Edit 2. I just opened my mail and found an invite appointment for a free NHS Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening, being offered to all men in my area nearing their 65th birthday. Yes please, I'm all for having check-ups for potential problems.

Last edited by J.JsOH; Jun 19th 2014 at 6:49 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karrie72
thumbsup:Great news for you! You must be relieved...

Karrie, Thats a good memory.
I recall my first goodbye. 1965 and I was 16 and joining the Royal Navy. I knew that this step would change my life forever. When I left the farmhouse my Mother showed no emotion and maternal Grandmother wept. Dad was at work and I had no idea how he felt about it. Grandfather drove me to Peterborough station to catch the train through London to Plymouth, I don't recall his words but he shook my hand.

Last edited by J.JsOH; Jun 19th 2014 at 8:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.