Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

More back lane photos taken yesterday:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7645236634644/
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
More back lane photos taken yesterday:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7645236634644/
Have you found anything interesting in your property search?

Cheers
Old Jun 18th 2014, 6:04 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I think Windsong is emotionally and physically upset, worn out, and a little frightened of her present situation. I personally feel very sorry for her. I can't do anything to help, but I just wish her well. It must very hard to be in your 60s, with no family, wanting to move, having the rug pulled out from under you with suddenly no job and no home, and having to care for two pets. I probably would be a little crazed too. Windsong has been a part of the forum for a long time, and we are all different in the way we act emotionally. I hope it all comes together for her.
I hate to see bickering, no matter how people rub you the wrong way. I try to stay out, although I can say I was guilty of getting mad and having a go at someone when I was very stressed and worrying about moving and life in general. I'm sure Windsong is feeling immense stress and loads of pressure at the loss of a job and home. I know I asked the same questions that I had a few times and repeated myself when I didn't hear what I wanted to hear.
Drama doesn't help it sort of feeds itself and makes it all seem worse than it really is.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't be doing with all the drama - one of the reasons I prefer not to own a telly!
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Going Home

I have been thinking about those who dont get to go home who are not part of the 'lucky ones", over the years I have met many of them, for one reason or another they just didnt make it. Some sad stories some who just decided they had waited too long, others like me because of sickness decided to stay.

The sad thing is that with most of the above they have never lost that desire to go home its always in the back of their minds. Those who do best are those who forget about it and move on but some of us are stuck with that desire to still maybe get home.

You have to look at the reasons why you didnt go home and for many its children they hate to be parted from them others like me are just not sure they would get the right treatment for what ails them.

Another group and to me these are sad are those who are just to scared to make that jump, they read and hear things about the UK and it makes them afraid. Some think that when they go back its going to be as they left it and thats never going to happen no matter where you move to. But I respect those who had made the move and decided it wasnt for them and returned to the country they left.

I think about Easterndawn who had such a hard time in Scotland one of the main problems for her was money, she went without any. That is a big setback. You really need to have some savings to fall back on.

We have had so many kind people on here who had come back and let us know what they think the good and bad some post to other forums but they do return, I really dont mind when people who have returned no longer post they just dont have time, but those that do I really appreciate because they have made time and let us know what its like at home and we can learn from them. Thats what this forum has always been about. Learning from one another and giving helpful advice.

I may never get home but it will always be in the back of my mind like many other Ex-Pats. Thats why I say if you are thinking about going home do it. Dont dither make plans, make lists and decide on a year and get everything sorted so you dont panic at the end.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about places to visit. The have just opened Bletchley Park, I would love to see it...
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Going Home

I have been thinking about those who dont get to go home who are not part of the 'lucky ones", over the years I have met many of them, for one reason or another they just didnt make it. Some sad stories some who just decided they had waited too long, others like me because of sickness decided to stay.

The sad thing is that with most of the above they have never lost that desire to go home its always in the back of their minds. Those who do best are those who forget about it and move on but some of us are stuck with that desire to still maybe get home.

You have to look at the reasons why you didnt go home and for many its children they hate to be parted from them others like me are just not sure they would get the right treatment for what ails them.

Another group and to me these are sad are those who are just to scared to make that jump, they read and hear things about the UK and it makes them afraid. Some think that when they go back its going to be as they left it and thats never going to happen no matter where you move to. But I respect those who had made the move and decided it wasnt for them and returned to the country they left.

I think about Easterndawn who had such a hard time in Scotland one of the main problems for her was money, she went without any. That is a big setback. You really need to have some savings to fall back on.

We have had so many kind people on here who had come back and let us know what they think the good and bad some post to other forums but they do return, I really dont mind when people who have returned no longer post they just dont have time, but those that do I really appreciate because they have made time and let us know what its like at home and we can learn from them. Thats what this forum has always been about. Learning from one another and giving helpful advice.

I may never get home but it will always be in the back of my mind like many other Ex-Pats. Thats why I say if you are thinking about going home do it. Dont dither make plans, make lists and decide on a year and get everything sorted so you dont panic at the end.
I sometimes give thought to what it may have been like for expats who left Uk for other countries in previous centuries and never had any hope of ever going back. There must have been the whole spectrum of homesickness, or not, amongst, for instance, the settlers in the new world of america.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
I sometimes give thought to what it may have been like for expats who left Uk for other countries in previous centuries and never had any hope of ever going back. There must have been the whole spectrum of homesickness, or not, amongst, for instance, the settlers in the new world of america.
There is an exhibition on the Queen Mary where they have a cabin set up as it would have been for GI brides coming over. I just burst into tears when I saw it.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about places to visit. The have just opened Bletchley Park, I would love to see it...
Bletchley was fascinating when we visited about 5 yrs ago on a visit to UK and well worth the visit. Flew overnight from US, collected rental car and driving north anyway stopped by Bletchley. Was jet lagged but kept wide awake by our tour guide, a sprightly lady who was a WREN there during WWII and she brought the whole history alive.
I was fascinated to see the early computers there with oil drip pans beneath them because they are essentially mechanical machines.
Tickets were good for a year of re-entry.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
There is an exhibition on the Queen Mary where they have a cabin set up as it would have been for GI brides coming over. I just burst into tears when I saw it.
Last summer I read a couple of war bride memoirs and sobbed through the whole thing. Once you came over that was pretty much it, in terms of visiting.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Bletchley was fascinating when we visited about 5 yrs ago on a visit to UK and well worth the visit. Flew overnight from US, collected rental car and driving north anyway stopped by Bletchley. Was jet lagged but kept wide awake by our tour guide, a sprightly lady who was a WREN there during WWII and she brought the whole history alive.
I was fascinated to see the early computers there with oil drip pans beneath them because they are essentially mechanical machines.
Tickets were good for a year of re-entry.
Apparently Kate Middleton's grandmother worked there during the war.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Karrie72
Last summer I read a couple of war bride memoirs and sobbed through the whole thing. Once you came over that was pretty much it, in terms of visiting.
In her later years on visits to US which she really enjoyed, my Mother commented that she now wished she had been a war bride - but back in the day wasn't interested because word got back to UK that it was a one-way trip and that, at that time, many of the glamourous Yanks, once back home and out the military, turned out to be less than attractive and lived in shanty shacks.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karrie72
Sink or swim I suppose.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

I read quite a few articles on War Brides, some were lied to and expected nice homes and found themselves in shacks in the middle of nowhere. They didn't even have the money to return home, very sad. Off course back home many didn't get any sympathy because they had married yanks....
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you have to know the code to get in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.