Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't recommend Google or we will all die.
I'm meltiiiiing!
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't recommend Google or we will all die.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Windsong,

I think your pets are getting in the way of your dreams and holding you back somewhat. Is there anyway you could rehome them and therefore more realistically find a place to live in the UK?

I have pets too and love them very much, but I do believe they are more flexible than us humans.

I hope you read this but I suspect I might be on the ignore list as you never respond to my helpful replies.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Thank you. I thought there would be more trains going Heathrow to Edinburgh than there are. Also with three changes it takes 11 hours. Hmm . . . there must be a direct route - surely. Some of these schedules are tricky to understand.

PS; I found one with two changes that takes five hours. Only one, though. I thought if I could find a single train to go from beginning to end it might be worth it, but it doesn't seem possible. Actually, it is possible, I see that now. The problem is getting to Kings Cross from Heathrow - with two dogs and a suitcase. From there, though, it is one train all the way. Wish I knew that area better. Part of the journey is on the tube. I think my dogs would freak out big time.

Actually, there is more than one train. There's quite a few!
Windsong - I guess you can put me on ignore too, but why don't you sort out your thoughts and not put every one of them on the BE site. It's getting taxing reading through all this bumpf to find anything worth while to read or reply to. This is what you did last year and I quit as a result - and now you are annoying a whole lot of other people not just me. Most on here have been really patient with you, but from reading the last few pages, that is not going to last a whole lot longer. You are known for your one liners - if you look at the postings you have done in the relatively short time you have been a BE member - you write a short sentence, then another one and then another one - and take up pages and pages of this thread. You don't like finding out information for yourself but want others to do the research for you. I gave up on you long ago, then took pity on you when you reappeared recently. Don't be so rude to others - they have helped you in the past. And don't be rude to our Rodney, who has kept us going through thick and thin. Now have a backlash at me - it will wash off like the winter rain.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I guess you know that Delta just started a new direct service from the US into Edinburgh.

Does this help with your trip from London to EDG?

National Rail Enquiries - Journey Planner - Trains Times and Fares
Cheers, no, I didn't know Delta began a new route. Thanks for letting me know. However, I just looked at the DEFRA site and they are not approved for pet travel into Edinburgh. They are approved to go into Manchester with pets, though, which is worth a look. As far as I know BA and Virgin Atlantic take care of pets the best, but I haven't heard any reports about Delta so I don't know.

Thanks for the rail link, too.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 16th 2014 at 11:44 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karrie72
Dear Windsong,

I think your pets are getting in the way of your dreams and holding you back somewhat. Is there anyway you could rehome them and therefore more realistically find a place to live in the UK?

I have pets too and love them very much, but I do believe they are more flexible than us humans.

I hope you read this but I suspect I might be on the ignore list as you never respond to my helpful replies.
Whatever makes you think that my pets are a problem?? They are a consideration, certainly, but a problem, no!
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Looking at property is one of my favorite pastimes.

I'm looking at this one.

3 bedroom semi-detached house for sale in Mold Road, Denbigh, LL16 , LL16

I spent a week in this area Last June 2013. This house is in the country.

wow you get a good deal in Wales. Until we decided to go back to our home in UK and before my holiday there I spent far too much time on Rightmove!
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:55 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Edinburgh is a DEFRA BIP.

Border Inspection Posts « Imports/exports – animals and animal products

There are four approved BIP's for the UK. Heathrow; Gatwick; Manchester and Edinburgh. Different airlines are approved at different airports.

Re: collecting animals at Heathrow means leaving the airport and getting oneself over to the James Cargo facility. So taxi required to get there. Then taxi over to Kings Cross. The distance between Heathrow and Kings Cross is roughly 30 miles.

In all four scenarios, one has to leave the airport and go collect the pets at another facility. In Manchester I believe the cargo facility is about 5 miles from the airport. Then a person has to figure out (ie pay for) a route to a train station or ferry or whatever. Not all of the train routes will permit the carriage of live animals.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to find the websites to get train routes, station locations and times in the UK. I searched this thread and many others and, while I can get the thread names in the results, I get no matches when I search for posts, which makes no sense. If I look at the threads I will have hundreds of pages to go through to find it.

Can someone help?

Basically, I want to investigate trains from Heathrow to Edinburgh. If we fly from Edinburgh, we have to change planes in London and I am not sure I want to risk my pets being stressed by doing that. Hopefully, there is a train station pretty close to Heathrow.
Have you been able to use google to just put in your questions and you should get some answers!
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...68911936,d.cGU

these came up in 10 seconds flat!

Last edited by feelbritish; Jun 16th 2014 at 11:58 pm. Reason: adition
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Edinburgh is a DEFRA BIP.

Border Inspection Posts « Imports/exports – animals and animal products

There are four approved BIP's for the UK. Heathrow; Gatwick; Manchester and Edinburgh. Different airlines are approved at different airports.

Re: collecting animals at Heathrow means leaving the airport and getting oneself over to the James Cargo facility. So taxi required to get there. Then taxi over to Kings Cross. The distance between Heathrow and Kings Cross is roughly 30 miles.

In all four scenarios, one has to leave the airport and go collect the pets at another facility. In Manchester I believe the cargo facility is about 5 miles from the airport. Then a person has to figure out (ie pay for) a route to a train station or ferry or whatever. Not all of the train routes will permit the carriage of live animals.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...air-routes.pdf

That link gives the various airlines and where they are approved to fly into with pets. Only certain airlines are approved for Edinburgh.

Thanks for the tip about not all train routes accepting live animals. I didn't know that.

Yes, the navigation between of various points between Heathrow and railway stations is a real learning curve.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 17th 2014 at 12:08 am.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you. I thought there would be more trains going Heathrow to Edinburgh than there are. Also with three changes it takes 11 hours. Hmm . . . there must be a direct route - surely. Some of these schedules are tricky to understand.

PS; I found one with two changes that takes five hours. Only one, though. I thought if I could find a single train to go from beginning to end it might be worth it, but it doesn't seem possible. Actually, it is possible, I see that now. The problem is getting to Kings Cross from Heathrow - with two dogs and a suitcase. From there, though, it is one train all the way. Wish I knew that area better. Part of the journey is on the tube. I think my dogs would freak out big time.

Actually, there is more than one train. There's quite a few!
You cannot expect trains to go straight from Heathrow, England to Edinburgh Scotland!!! All trains will go through major trains stations like London, York, Reading, Crewe etc. Again I would recommend you travel on ahead to your destination and get a company to sort out your dogs. I did it with my dog and it was worth every penny spent. She in those days had to go into quarantine but I knew the day she was arriving and the kennels phoned to say she was safe! Same with my dog coming to Canada, she traveled from Heathrow to Vancouver and then on a small plane to where I was living and we got a phone call from the airport to say a "little girl" was waiting for me!

You will be so much more relaxed and less stressed if you let the professionals handle them for you! I cannot see you travelling across UK with 2 dogs in buses and trains. Perhaps hire a car if it is so important for you to have them with you on the plane. You are not doing them any favours btw having them with you straight away, they will sense your stress whereas professionals know how to handle them, they deal with hundreds of pets every year!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:11 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

This situation of getting precious pets from Point A to Point B is why some people elect to hire a pet moving service instead of doing it themselves.

All four of the BIP's are at major airports in major cities. Navigating around those cities with luggage, pets and jet lag is not easy.

If one isn't using a service, then you basically have one of three choices - you either have to drive yourself from the cargo facility to your final destination; you hire someone to do the driving; or you have a friend help.

As for finding threads that talk about this - I started one just a few weeks ago. There are lots of others. Of course, if you have put people on ignore you are going to lose out on a lot of valuable information.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Karrie72
Dear Windsong,

I agree with this, they are starting to get in your way and you may end up stressing them totally unnecessarily. I would suggest you pay for professionals to take over the care of dogs! You should then book flight direct to Edinburgh, you will have to change at Heathrow but better than trying to catch trains etc.

Last edited by feelbritish; Jun 17th 2014 at 12:15 am. Reason: change of mind what said!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever makes you think that my pets are a problem?? They are a consideration, certainly, but a problem, no!
I didn't say they were a problem. Your pets pop up often as a hindrance to getting home.

If it were me, I would probably seek to rehome them and find more available suitable accommodation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.