Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 13th 2014, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

jean1947 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

My 2pence worth as the passport is so out of date, it needs counter signature to say that person know you for over 2 years (I think) so getting one here would be a problem.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jean1947
My 2pence worth as the passport is so out of date, it needs counter signature to say that person know you for over 2 years (I think) so getting one here would be a problem.
Yes, you are right. I already worked out a "temporary" solution to it. It's always better to have a renewed passport in hand, though.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Chuck it!
I am all for looking for a cheap solution.
How about renting a station wagon in the UK?
The doggies would get to be out and about all day and sleep with you in the s/w at night.
You can also buy a big tent in Colorado cheap to use in England
I hope this is a good solution.
Remember that poster who did that, only she slept in her car.
Cheers
Old Jun 14th 2014, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Chuck it!
I am all for looking for a cheap solution.
How about renting a station wagon in the UK?
The doggies would get to be out and about all day and sleep with you in the s/w at night.
You can also buy a big tent in Colorado cheap to use in England
I hope this is a good solution.
Remember that poster who did that, only she slept in her car.
Cheers
Cheers, I have never felt so depressed. I was already to go and both places I found to live fell through. I wish I could still go but I have nowhere to stay over there. If this had happened in September (2014) I would still go because I would be drawing my SS and pension and could survive on those until I got a job. Combine that with the income from a job and I would be in GREAT shape! This is so unfortunate! I just don't know what to do. Amid all the tears tonight I have been trying to find a solution and I don't have one, not yet anyway.

I was supposed to take the dogs to the vet tonight to get their rabies shots, have their physical examinations and start the paperwork. I delayed it until Tuesday in the hopes I can find a solution. I may have to delay it until September - but that's IF I can survive here until then. I also need to save a bit more money so I can be okay alone over there. I am almost there. I just need a job here so I can survive until then - and a place to live, of course.

I was about to put my vehicle up for sale. Ever so glad I held off. Glad I didn't buy airline tickets either. I wanted to make sure - 100% - that everything was in place before doing that.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 14th 2014 at 3:27 am.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Cheers, I have never felt so depressed. I was already to go and both places I found to live fell through. I wish I could still go but I have nowhere to stay over there. If this had happened in September (2014) I would still go because I would be drawing my SS and pension and could survive on those until I got a job. Combine that with the income from a job and I would be in GREAT shape! This is so unfortunate! I just don't know what to do. Amid all the tears tonight I have been trying to find a solution and I don't have one, not yet anyway.

I was supposed to take the dogs to the vet tonight to get their rabies shots, have their physical examinations and start the paperwork. I delayed it until Tuesday in the hopes I can find a solution. I may have to delay it until September - but that's IF I can survive here until then. I also need to save a bit more money so I can be okay alone over there. I am almost there. I just need a job here so I can survive until then - and a place to live, of course.

I was about to put my vehicle up for sale. Ever so glad I held off. Glad I didn't buy airline tickets either. I wanted to make sure - 100% - that everything was in place before doing that.
Things will look much better in the morning, God bless.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Things will look much better in the morning, God bless.
Thank you, Cheers. I hope so.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 2:00 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Cheers. I hope so.
Tina, have you checked for home shares yet? I don't know exactly where you want to live in Scotland and my laptops in the shop so it's a bit harder with the tablet, but there's a house share in Edinburgh - two guys, happy to share with female or male they have no pets but are happy for the lodger to bring pets, 80 quid a week all bills included. Spareroom.Co.uk
Old Jun 14th 2014, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Tina, have you checked for home shares yet? I don't know exactly where you want to live in Scotland and my laptops in the shop so it's a bit harder with the tablet, but there's a house share in Edinburgh - two guys, happy to share with female or male they have no pets but are happy for the lodger to bring pets, 80 quid a week all bills included. Spareroom.Co.uk
WOW!!! That would work. I will see if I can find it - or can you send me the link?

I just need to "wing it" - here or there - until September and then I will be fine. If it worked out at their house, I'd stay there a while, though.

Edinburgh is PERFECT! That's where there are great jobs for me as well as being my desired destination.

PS: Looking through Spareroom now but which one is it? There are lots for Edinburgh and I want to snare that one while I can.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 14th 2014 at 2:30 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 2:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!!! That would work. I will see if I can find it - or can you send me the link?

I just need to "wing it" - here or there - until September and then I will be fine. If it worked out at their house, I'd stay there a while, though.

Edinburgh is PERFECT! That's where there are great jobs for me as well as being my desired destination.

PS: Looking through Spareroom now but which one is it? There are lots for Edinburgh and I want to snare that one while I can.
Can't send the link sorry, I'm useless on this tablet - it's my husband's. But if you get on the site and look through rooms to let in Edinburgh you'd find it
Old Jun 14th 2014, 2:38 pm
Concierge

If you click on 'advanced search you can tick 'pets allwed', that narrows it down a fair bit
Old Jun 14th 2014, 2:41 pm
Concierge

If you click on 'advanced search you can tick 'pets allwed', that narrows it down a fair bit
The title says 'Musselburgh' single or twin room
Old Jun 14th 2014, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Just be aware that if you rent a room in someone's home in that type of arrangement, you will be a lodger not a tenant. You will not have the legal protections that you would have with a tenancy in your own place.

So, for example, if the people you are renting a room from decide that it's not working out, they can ask you to leave pretty much immediately. I guess you would need to think about whether or not that would be something you would be comfortable with.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebs
Just be aware that if you rent a room in someone's home in that type of arrangement, you will be a lodger not a tenant. You will not have the legal protections that you would have with a tenancy in your own place.

So, for example, if the people you are renting a room from decide that it's not working out, they can ask you to leave pretty much immediately. I guess you would need to think about whether or not that would be something you would be comfortable with.
Well, a few people on this forum have gone over there and done the same thing and it's turned out ok. Yes, there is some risk but it seems there is risk everywhere I turn. At least I would be there. Still thinking about all this, though.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 4:17 pm
Concierge

Well, a few people on this forum have gone over there and done the same thing and it's turned out ok. Yes, there is some risk but it seems there is risk everywhere I turn. At least I would be there. Still thinking about all this, though.
The way I look at it the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work out and you'll need to find somewhere else to live. Which is exactly the position you're in now, so the only difference is you'd be in a country you love rather than one you're desperate to get away from.

Only you can decide Tina, but I know so surely what I'd do in your shoes. I'd arrange a house share (including Skype conversations with whoever you decide to rent a room from), book direct flight tickets for you and the two dogs on the same flight, leave the US on your US passport, enter the UK by presenting both your expired blue passport and any additional ID documents including your US passport - tell the IO that you're a UK citizen returning home to live permanently , explain (if asked) that you'd planned to renew your British passport but got spooked by the well publicised delays - wait calmly if they need to check anything or ask more questions - once you get the all clear (I refuse to even consider that the UK would deport one of its own citizens) then collect your doggies and start living your new life.

You know it makes sensè
Old Jun 14th 2014, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

The way I look at it the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work out and you'll need to find somewhere else to live. Which is exactly the position you're in now, so the only difference is you'd be in a country you love rather than one you're desperate to get away from.

Only you can decide Tina, but I know so surely what I'd do in your shoes. I'd arrange a house share (including Skype conversations with whoever you decide to rent a room from), book direct flight tickets for you and the two dogs on the same flight, leave the US on your US passport, enter the UK by presenting both your expired blue passport and any additional ID documents including your US passport - tell the IO that you're a UK citizen returning home to live permanently , explain (if asked) that you'd planned to renew your British passport but got spooked by the well publicised delays - wait calmly if they need to check anything or ask more questions - once you get the all clear (I refuse to even consider that the UK would deport one of its own citizens) then collect your doggies and start living your new life.

You know it makes sensè
The house shares are not how I am used to living but currently, beggars can't be choosers. Yes, it really does make sense. One thing is for sure, if I get in a bind over there in the first few months, I'd far rather it be there than here! Even so, it is a big step when I will clearly be entirely on my own over there. Now I am "catastrophizing", though. I really don't think it would take long for me to get a job there. By September, it wouldn't matter anyway.

By the end of the year, I would be in my own place!

Now to do some serious thinking about what to do . . . should I take the plunge? It's rather like falling off the edge of the cliff into the deep unknown.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.