Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Nov 21st 2013, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I drink half my body weight in water.
Explain that?

"it felt like my brain was moving in my head"
Strange you should say that because I've been experiencing that in the last month and I didn't know how to describe it to the doctor and I didn't know what brought it on. I don't have the headaches and I have never had them but that brain moving in my head, yes. I think the problem has gone away now

Cheers
Old Nov 21st 2013, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Explain that?

"\
Cheers

while on this plan you drink half your body weight in ounces, so say you weigh 200lbs then 100 oz as it is to flush out the toxins in your body that you have ingested over years of eating and drinking processed food or food with additives and chemicals or GM food. I did not realise that in North America, cows are fed hormones and meds and then milked. In UK and EU it is not allowed. Did you ever wonder why our milk here can last nearly 2 weeks whereas in UK you have to buy your milk every 3rd or 4th day? Where I worked in South Africa/England in the dairy industry the lab tested the milk delivered daily from the farms and if there was a trace of antibiotics, e-coli or other substance, it was rejected and the farmer was not paid! He was also paid on his butterfat content.
Makes you wonder then? It may not be our fault entirely that we have a weight problem in North America. If your body does not know what to do with a chemical it will send it to the fat cells.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

while on this plan you drink half your body weight in ounces, so say you weigh 200lbs then 100 oz as it is to flush out the toxins in your body that you have ingested over years of eating and drinking processed food or food with additives and chemicals or GM food. I did not realise that in North America, cows are fed hormones and meds and then milked. In UK and EU it is not allowed. Did you ever wonder why our milk here can last nearly 2 weeks whereas in UK you have to buy your milk every 3rd or 4th day? Where I worked in South Africa/England in the dairy industry the lab tested the milk delivered daily from the farms and if there was a trace of antibiotics, e-coli or other substance, it was rejected and the farmer was not paid! He was also paid on his butterfat content.
Makes you wonder then? It may not be our fault entirely that we have a weight problem in North America. If your body does not know what to do with a chemical it will send it to the fat cells.
Not allowed in Canada either:

http://www.dairygoodness.ca/100-perc...le/at-the-farm
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
NiHao, thanks for asking. I have neglected my blog I'm afraid because I've just been so busy and it felt like I had said everything I had to say. But I do have an art website if you'd like to see some pictures. My work isn't groundbreaking, nor is it to everyone's taste, but I enjoy it and that's what counts The site is here.
Sallysimmons
Thank you so much for the link, I really love your work, how wonderful to have a talent like that. It must bring you so much pleasure.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend going to the forum "Postcards from England" that someone kind person posted.
Cheers
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Well that is good news, because I certainly like my dairy products
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Almost every food in N.A. will last a long time, if its not G.M. Hormones, or Antibiotics or its full of preservatives, then we have corn sweetner and other things, pick your poision, none of it is good for any of us.

Not to sound too negative but its all about the bottom line.

Good for you and your diet, I hope it all works out for you.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Almost every food in N.A. will last a long time, if its not G.M. Hormones, or Antibiotics or its full of preservatives, then we have corn sweetner and other things, pick your poision, none of it is good for any of us.

Not to sound too negative but its all about the bottom line.

Good for you and your diet, I hope it all works out for you.
Thanks Fish I have some bad moments but I think that this just makes sense deleting these foods even if it is just for a limited time.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fish I have some bad moments but I think that this just makes sense deleting these foods even if it is just for a limited time.
I know I feel better for losing weight and you will too, its amazing what it feels like to walk around minus 20lbs, it has to be better for the heart, knees etc, long term it will be great, just stick at it, if you want it bad enough you can make it happen.

I'm not too strict with myself as I really want this to be a long term thing, I say not too strict, what I mean is I dont punish myself, I know I can have something I really want, once I tell myself I can have it all of a sudden I dont want it so much, if I do have something I make it very small, just enough to get me over the wanting, its pointless losing the weight then filling my face.

When I'm hungry and want something to eat I have a drink of water often thats enough to get me over the hump...

Someone mentioned Headaches, I have to say Ive not had so many lately, Id never really thought about it.. lol...
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 10:59 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not too strict with myself as I really want this to be a long term thing, I say not too strict, what I mean is I dont punish myself, I know I can have something I really want, once I tell myself I can have it all of a sudden I dont want it so much, if I do have something I make it very small, just enough to get me over the wanting, its pointless losing the weight then filling my face.
This is what's been great for me about the Paul McKenna program. He has 4 basic rules:

Eat when you're hungry
Eat what you really want (not what you think you should)
Eat very slowly and consciously (not watching TV or reading)
Stop when you think you might be full

I think it's the eating slowly part that has been the real magic bullet for me. I used to eat so fast that I never noticed the signal to say I was full. Now I am usually full after 7 or 8 mouthfuls of anything. I do cheat a bit and keep going for a few more mouthfuls if I really like the food, but there's a limit as to what I can cram in.

But also, by eating what you really want, you never feel deprived. And it's funny but you realize that your body does crave healthy foods if you listen to it. We've had a packet of custard tarts in the fridge for 3 days now untouched. Unheard of in my past life!

The hardest one for me is eating only when I'm hungry as we tend to have regular mealtimes and I find that's rarely when I'm naturally hungry.

Sorry to rant on about this stuff - it's just been such a revelation for me and I go round telling anyone who'll listen!
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

This is what's been great for me about the Paul McKenna program. He has 4 basic rules:

Eat when you're hungry
Eat very slowly and consciously (not watching TV or reading) or the internet
insert. Don't eat while viewing the internet
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Any snow your way?
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 3:19 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

all very good advice ......

I think it's the eating slowly part that has been the real magic bullet for me. I used to eat so fast that I never noticed the signal to say I was full. Now I am usually full after 7 or 8 mouthfuls of anything. I do cheat a bit and keep going for a few more mouthfuls if I really like the food, but there's a limit as to what I can cram in.
as we get older 40+ our metabolism tends to start to slow down (for those that have noticed it get even worse towards 50, 60, 70's) and we tend not to be as physically active (key ingredient) as we were 30 years earlier.

Its all down to personal habits along with a combination of everything in moderation, with the simple rule of a balanced diet, to eat less each meal (maybe 5 meal portions per day instead of three), eat slower for sure as well as to try as best as possible to burn an equal amount in calories to what one eats which is somewhere between 1500 - 2000 /day to maintain your healthy mind & body.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4569027...rage-day_.html

if you are a three meal a day type person, I would suggest not to finish any meal before 10 minutes. I prescribe to the no more than 2000 calories/day spread across a five meal a day diet plan. Cut the sugar as well as salt & drink one litre of water per day. Eat whatever you think is good for your body, remember to keep within the 'burn what you eat' schedule.

No eating or caffeine intake 2-3 hours prior to bedtime

The hardest one for me is eating only when I'm hungry as we tend to have regular mealtimes and I find that's rarely when I'm naturally hungry.
is to eat to live & not the live to eat.

If you are hungry between meals eat a stick of celery. We keep in the fridge a full celery chopped into two mouth size portions in a container of water.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Eat when you're hungry
Eat very slowly and consciously (not watching TV or reading)

But also, by eating what you really want, you never feel deprived. And it's funny but you realize that your body does crave healthy foods if you listen to it. We've had a packet of custard tarts in the fridge for 3 days now untouched. Unheard of in my past life!

Sorry to rant on about this stuff - it's just been such a revelation for me and I go round telling anyone who'll listen!
I understand about eating slow, now I have less on my plate going cold I can actually enjoy my food more, previous to this it was a race to get my plate cleaned before hot food went cold, I can back that up by telling you that when I eat cold sandwiches I've always taken my time...

Paul McKenna's ideas do make sense to me.

The set meal times kinda messed with my head as we have been programmed to eat at meal times and together, surely my wife and I cant be hungry at the same time, still I understand the reason behind it and think it makes sense.

We were brought up by parents who had food rationing in their lives, they taught us to clear our plates, I do think that has been part of the problem for me, I try not to waste food or anything.

The Rant is OK Sally, you just want to help others, me too...
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

We were brought up by parents who had food rationing in their lives, they taught us to clear our plates, I do think that has been part of the problem for me, I try not to waste food or anything.
Exactly, me too. My Grandparents were from huge families and there was only ever so much food put on the table so they got what they got. My Nan still eats so fast we say 'she's putting the nosebag on.'

But we were also always taught to clean our plates and if we didn't we got the 'rations' lecture too. I like the 4 rules from McKenna that SallySimmons shared and I have the book arriving tomorrow. Can't wait.

Last edited by MrMuffin; Nov 22nd 2013 at 3:45 pm. Reason: Edits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.